Chit Chat
Options

Foodies I need your Help!

I'm having FIs boss's wife over for dinner tomorrow night and she is bringing their daughter. They have had us over a couple of times and since the boys are out of town we are doing a ladies night. What should I cook? She is an AMAZING cook and I get nervous cooking for people who are more experienced than I am even though I do like to cook. They are like me and eat anything, even their little girl (she is 4 but isn't picky). 

So, any ideas for me? I was thinking of maybe a pork roast with apples and honey or going totally summer casual since the weather is so nice with pulled pork sliders. I also have an Alaskan salmon I could pull out to cook so that is an option as well.

Anyone have any amazing go to recipes for dinner guests?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Foodies I need your Help!

• Options
    I've got easy summer meals on the brain and nothing fancy

Pulled pork in the crockpot with coleslaw and corn on the cob
    Taco salad
    Burgers with handcut french fries
    Grilled marinated chicken with salad
    Anniversary

• Options
    I love the crockpot pulled pork idea.

Also, tacos are fun with little kids, serve with Mexican rice and beans.

Anything on the grill is great too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Ok, I just made this recipe over the weekend with my sister and it was SO FREAKING GOOD! And easy. But mostly just damn delicious.

I really like Skinny Taste's version of slow-cooker pulled pork too. It's easy, you can have it all prepped ahead of time. And you can fancy it up with some fun apps or a beautiful dessert.

Personally, I prefer to stick with what you know and what you're good at rather than overly stress yourself out with something complicated. This way you can be relaxed, cool, calm, and collected instead of worrying over whether or not something is coming out just right.
    This is my FAVORITE trifle recipe if you're looking for an amped up dessert.
    I don't know if you have time to make your own pound cake (which is worth it for this recipe), but if I'm feeling lazy I just buy pound cake from the store for this recipe. Same for lemon curd, I totally cheated and bought pre-made stuff from Publix.

• Options
    I am so NOT the grill master in this house so I might want to stay away from that one. I'm glad you all brought up the pulled pork idea, I think that is what I will go with, I do a killer pulled pork in the crock pot and it's usually my go to for larger gatherings. I have also been finding some really good corn right now and maybe a side salad? 

OK, so with that in mind.. she LOVES wine, I do as well but I drink too much of it to be picky about the kind (yep, I'm a lush). Any particular wine label you all like?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    labro said:

Ok, I just made this recipe over the weekend with my sister and it was SO FREAKING GOOD! And easy. But mostly just damn delicious.

I really like Skinny Taste's version of slow-cooker pulled pork too. It's easy, you can have it all prepped ahead of time. And you can fancy it up with some fun apps or a beautiful dessert.

Personally, I prefer to stick with what you know and what you're good at rather than overly stress yourself out with something complicated. This way you can be relaxed, cool, calm, and collected instead of worrying over whether or not something is coming out just right.
    This is my FAVORITE trifle recipe if you're looking for an amped up dessert.
    I don't know if you have time to make your own pound cake (which is worth it for this recipe), but if I'm feeling lazy I just buy pound cake from the store for this recipe. Same for lemon curd, I totally cheated and bought pre-made stuff from Publix.
    This all looks amazing, but I totally agree, stick with what you know. I know pulled pork in the crock so that one wins.. I will have to try the dessert on a weekend because YUM.. but I get done working around 5 generally and they will be here at 6:30 so that might have to be something I make to put in my face hole some other time!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I am so NOT the grill master in this house so I might want to stay away from that one. I'm glad you all brought up the pulled pork idea, I think that is what I will go with, I do a killer pulled pork in the crock pot and it's usually my go to for larger gatherings. I have also been finding some really good corn right now and maybe a side salad? 

OK, so with that in mind.. she LOVES wine, I do as well but I drink too much of it to be picky about the kind (yep, I'm a lush). Any particular wine label you all like?
    What kind of sauce/seasoning does your pulled pork have?  Wine will depend on that.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    A spruced up mac and cheese might be a nice addition to the pulled pork, and a kid pleaser!
  • Options
    @julieanne912 I usually do a spicy bbq sauce but not sure that will be great for the kiddo so I will most likely keep it to a mild bbq sauce.

@AlisonM23 That is a great idea! I love making mac and cheese and it works perfect with the pulled pork!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@julieanne912 I usually do a spicy bbq sauce but not sure that will be great for the kiddo so I will most likely keep it to a mild bbq sauce.

@AlisonM23 That is a great idea! I love making mac and cheese and it works perfect with the pulled pork!
    I would do Zinfandel (red) with that then.  I can't suggest a particular label as I don't pay much attention to them and I have no idea what's available in your area.  Just read the notes for the bottles and pick one that sounds good :)
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I know you already decided on pulled pork, so I'll skip my recipe recommendation, but for Zin brands, I really like 7 Deadly Zins. :) 
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I know a self proclaimed wine snob who LOVES Layer Cake Malbec. I say buy a variety of $12 $15 red wines (blend, malbec, petit syrah for example) and offer your guest a choice.

• Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    If you want to be fancy, this steak is awesome and is actually pretty easy, easier if you skip the herbed butter part and marinate it instead: http://whitsamusebouche.com/blog/2011/12/08/restaurant-style/

Or I'm a big fan of homemade fried chicken and waffles (marinate chicken in pickle juice and Frank's first) but that's a little trickier. 
  • Options
    Did you find out if there are any gluten or food allergy issues? Unless I know the person I am cooking for very well, I always ask, then figure out around it if I have to.

• Options
    @Scottie17 I did ask and asked about what the little one would like, there are no allergies or food restrictions for either of them (I figured as much with the meals we have had at their house but I did double check). Pork is in the crock pot for the pulled pork and it is making me HUNGRY! Smelling up my house!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards