Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Do I need to tone down our menu?

Context : Wedding is about 80 people, evenly split in thirds between his family, my family, and our friends. We have three vegetarians, two vegans, and no other allergies or dietary issues that I'm aware of (though of course we'd want to be prepared just in case).

Our "vision" (ugh) is to have a modern, eclectic, upscale menu with touches from both our cultures (he's first generation Indian and I'm Italian-American), and we're both really happy with it. But my mom (who is not paying but of course I respect her opinion) thinks that there's not enough "basic" options.

In fairness to her, all of my cousins have always had the traditional Italian-American "red sauce" catering, but when I asked her who specifically she thought wouldn't eat anything off the menu, she couldn't give me a name. 100% of our guests are from NYC or the surrounding area, so I don't really buy that someone would be SO unfamiliar with these foods. There's no (for example) 80 year old Uncle Joe who only eats steak and potatoes, you know?

But maybe we're being snobby and not empathetic enough. So, my menu is below. Thoughts? : 

BUTLERED HORS D’OEUVRES

Warm Tri-color Tortellini Spoons with Grape Tomatoes & Lemon-Chive Vinaigrette (hot)

Chicken, Sage & Prosciutto Bundles (hot)

Bacon Wrapped Risotto Cakes with Spinach and Lemon-Pepper Aioli (hot)

Lotus Root Chips with Miso Salmon Tartar (cold)

Aloo (Potato) Crostinis with Garlic Shrimp & Tomato Relish

Masala & Ginger Salmon Cakes with Mango Salsa

STATIONARY HORS D’OEUVRES

Gourmet Ceviche served with Plantain and Tortilla Chips (cold)

Farmer’s Market Crudités- Roasted Red Pepper Ranch, Tuscan-Herb Vinaigrette, Humus Platter (cold)

Samosa with chutney (hot)

Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onion and Wild Mushroom Tartlets (hot)

Fruit Station & Cheese Display

SALAD

Vine-Ripe Cherry Tomatoes, Fresh Cigliene Mozzarella, Mache Greens, Balsamic Reduction and Basil  Pesto

SOUP

Marsala Spiced Carrot & Ginger Soup with Coconut Whipped Cream

MAIN ENTREES

Roasted Leg of Lamb with Dijon Balsamic Au Jus, Roasted Eggplant & Roasted Beets

Palak Chicken Breast sliced with Creamy Spinach Sauce (sauce can be served seperately)

Grilled Salmon with Capers and Creamy Herb Dijon Sauce

VEGETARIAN OPTION :

Sweet Potato Risotto with Roasted Poblanos, Grilled Corn and Cilantro-Jicama-Calabaza Slaw

SIDES

Jeera Basmati Rice 
Fresh Mixed Vegetables with Raita Sauce

DESSERT
Viennese Dessert Table

WEDDING CAKE
Lemon cake with honey-ginger filling and buttercream frosting

Re: Do I need to tone down our menu?

• RezIpsaRezIpsa member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    This sounds just fine to me. Your entrees are actually really approachable.

Vegan entree? I ask merely as a vegan who gets very little at weddings. So far I have chips, crudites, samosas (maybe), fruit, soup (maybe), rice (maybe), no entree.

Don't get me wrong, if I got a pile of samosas at a wedding I would be pumped!
  • I'm not the most adventurous eater and I think your meal is fine.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I think your menu sounds delicious.
  • Thanks all! It really is delicious -- I was blown away by our tasting! 

@rezlpsa Samosas are vegan, soup is vegan without the cream, rice should be vegan (though that's a good thing to check!). So we're covered there.

I *believe* the Sweet Potato Risotto is vegan and not just vegetarian (I did mention to the caterer that we have vegan guests), but I should double check that as well. If they can't make it vegan, I'd switch it out for something else.

I was kind of worried about that not having protein in that entree, but it just sounded so tasty and different. Do you feel like that would be an issue for you if you were attending?
  • RezIpsaRezIpsa member
    Yeah, but every vegan would feel better treated if they could have a pile of samosas rather than the pasta/olive oil/steamed veggies or plain salad we usually get. It just sounds like you need to give them a heads up to eat a lot of those before dinner starts. If the risotto is vegan (I'm doubtful, but maybe your caterer is in the know) that's great too. It's starch heavy and protein light, but sounds delicious and would be filling.
  • Sounds delish!!! If you're worried about it being too adventurous, just get larger quantities of the more basic stuff.

The only thing I'd consider changing is the lamb. I love lamb but I am a pretty adventurous eater and I know it's not generally a crowd pleaser. I'd swap it for something like steak with a couple of sides. Or you could do a beef madras or korma as a nod to your FI's family.

I really don't think this sounds that eclectic. But I can see a "red sauce" cousin thinking so. However, there are PLENTY of "red sauce" options. You're fine!
    *********************************************************************************

• It all sounds delicious to me! DH is a picky eater, and he would definitely find a lot of things to eat off that menu.
  • The only thing I'd consider changing is the lamb. I love lamb but I am a pretty adventurous eater and I know it's not generally a crowd pleaser. I'd swap it for something like steak with a couple of sides. Or you could do a beef madras or korma as a nod to your FI's family.

I thought Indians usually didn't eat beef?
  • The only thing I'd consider changing is the lamb. I love lamb but I am a pretty adventurous eater and I know it's not generally a crowd pleaser. I'd swap it for something like steak with a couple of sides. Or you could do a beef madras or korma as a nod to your FI's family.

I thought Indians usually didn't eat beef?

I think you're thinking Hindus. Not all Indians are Hindu.

Obviously if her FI/FI's family doesn't eat a certain protein then they'd swap it out for something they do eat.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm with other posters, not the most adventurous when it comes to trying new foods; however, it seems like you have a good variety of options so I'm sure I would be able to find something I liked!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it sounds fine. A lot of things tend to sound fancier in writing than they look on a plate, anyway... "farmer's market crudite" = oh cool veggies and dip. "Bacon wrapped risotto cakes" = hmmm rice ball I'll try that. Your guests won't see all those descriptions so I don't think there's anything to be intimidated by.

• daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    I think it sounds delicious too, my only comment is that the ceviche might go to waste-I went to a fancy wedding once with a ceviche appetizer and only about 5% of the guests even tried it. And the bride's side of the family have pretty wide palettes. So unless it's a dish you know a lot of people like, I would probably save the money.
  • Just wow! That all sounds great. A bit overwhelming but delicious nonetheless.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Sorry for disappearing, laptop decided to die hooray :|

These are all fantastic suggestions, thanks so much! @lolo883 has a good point about things sounding more intimidating on the menu than in person. 

We're going to swap out the ceviche, I'm also thinking that it's not going to go over great and I'm not sure I'd even want ceviche at a wedding (if it's not super fresh...)

I was really torn about the beef vs lamb thing (his family are non-practicing Muslims, so beef isn't an issue and neither is being halal thankfully) -- I wasn't really crazy about any of their beef options (a strip steak with chimmichuri or a pot roast) which I why I went for the lamb which sounded delicious. 

And yep, it turns out the sweet potato risotto isn't vegan, so we're back to the drawing board on that. The culinary manager is working on other options, but is open to suggestions. Any ideas? 
  • Oh my God can I come to your wedding?!?!? I'm drooling... I always love Indian weddings, mostly for the food :)
  • RezIpsaRezIpsa member

And yep, it turns out the sweet potato risotto isn't vegan, so we're back to the drawing board on that. The culinary manager is working on other options, but is open to suggestions. Any ideas? 
    Booooooo. Any caterer worth their salt should have several vegan and GF entrees in their toolbox. What you end up offering is going to depend on what they feel comfortable making, holding, and plating so I am not sure suggestions will help much. It's really easy to veganize risotto (and most things) but there is still isn't much protein or veggies to it.

If suggestions do help, something like a seitan jambalaya (or some such rice dish) would be easy, reheat really well, and cover the starch/protein/veg bases. Just think protein (seitan/tempeh/tofu) + grain + veggies + sauce. The combos are limitless. Indian food has a gigantic number of vegan dishes, all of them ridiculously delicious.
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Omg, this entire menu sounds AMAZING! I'm also an adventurous eater though, so nothing struck me as intimidating.

For other vegan choices, I definitely agree that Indian food has soooo many options for vegan dishes - what about lentils, eggplant, or cauliflower based entrees? You could do a curry, a roasted type of dish, or any of those in a masala, vindaloo, or other sauce base?

• I'm a pretty picky eater and a vegetarian and I think I'd be very happy with the menu you picked. It looks like you're not doing the risotto anymore but I wouldn't be worried about picking something without protein. I try to add protein into my daily diet but hell some nights i just say screw it and it's all carbs so I personally would just be pretty excited that there is a veggie option and it's great that you are catering to vegans too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it all sounds delicious!!! The food isn't "standard wedding food," but is still accessible to multiple palates. I love it!
  • Delicious!!! I want your recipes for these LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards