Wedding Etiquette Forum

question on thank you notes for checks

edited April 2015 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Hey, knotties! Yay, I'm married!

Our amazing wedding was Sunday, and we have been diligently writing thank you cards.

Question about writing thank-yous for those who have gifted us with checks. We are saving for a down payment for a house, although because of a planned upcoming job change/potential relocation, we aren't necessarily going to buy one soon.

So far in our notes, we've been saying we are "saving the money toward our future," but is this cheesy and indirect? Would it be better to mention that we are putting their money gift toward a down payment, or would that potentially bum out a gift-giver, who might feel that however generous the amount they gave, it might almost feel like a "drop in the bucket"? Or would they be happy to know they are helping us with something so important?

Thoughts? Am I overthinking this? Thanks. :)

Re: question on thank you notes for checks

• Congrats!

I think that's totally fine. No need to be too specific IMHO.

Formerly martha1818

• When you are given money as a gift, there are no strings attached.  You just thank the donor for the "generous gift":  You do not owe them an explanation of how it will be used.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I doubt anyone really cares what you're using the money for. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We had just bought a house when we got married, so we said in almost all our cards that we were using the money to buy things for the new house. I don't think it really matters, as long as you thank them appropriately and in a timely manner.

• We said that we would be upgrading our household items (which we have) in our cards, as that is what we intended to use the money towards. My parents gave us a generous amount that we used towards our photographer, so we thanked them for that. We didn't register so 75% of our gifts were cheques.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I just kept it really generic:

"Dear so-and-so,

Thank you so much for the kind and generous wedding gift! Armen and I are so happy that you were able to celebrate with us and we know that your gift will provide us with many wonderful memories."

• I just kept it really generic:

"Dear so-and-so,

Thank you so much for the kind and generous wedding gift! Armen and I are so happy that you were able to celebrate with us and we know that your gift will provide us with many wonderful memories."

We did exactly this.

Or if they didn't attend "Thank you so much for the generous gift. We missed you at the wedding but feel so lucky to have such thoughtful people in our lives!"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • we did photos we used a photo from the wedding had wording added to it my brother created it all for us we said something along the lines of thank your for sharing in our special day with us a bunch of other stuff i cant remember and something about the gift  but we didnt mention where it was going 
  • Overthinking... Yes, I would say so. Just let it be known by word of mouth that you're looking to buy a house when you relocate.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards