Not Engaged Yet

brunch timeline

lilacck28lilacck28 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited May 2015 in Not Engaged Yet
HI HI HI! I know it's been forever since I've posted on NEY, but I've been lurking on my phone! Its been about 3? 4? weeks since I started teaching in my long term sub role, and I'm getting through and getting better at it/ enjoying a good chunk of it. But, I come home totally wiped out, and I haven't had the energy to post/ start up my computer! Ridiculous, but true. I've watched a lot of Friends reruns and Bravo reality tv on the couch after work. 

Other than learning how to manage a classroom full of kids with behavior issues, and lesson planning... I had my bachelorette and bridal shower last weekend. The bachelerette was a bit of a downer (out to dinner at night, sleepover, in the morning we got nails done, and then that afternoon was the bridal shower FMIL threw for me.) The night before it was a lot of "ugh, I'm going to die alone" or "my relationship is weird because... xyz." And I totally get needing to vent about that, but it was hard to be all "WOO I"M GETTING MARRIED!" when my friends were frowny. And there was a lot of talk about "aren't you terrified about your job situation? You should get a financial manager [for all the extra money lying around they think I have???]". YES! I am terrified. Thanks for asking. 

The shower was AH-MAZING though. Great food, happy people, and I was so touched by all the love. 

ANYWAY, the reason for this post. I remember that I promised @eilis1228 that I would post when I talked to my photographer/ hair and makeup people so I could clarify what a brunch wedding timeline might look like. FI and I met with our photographer to walk our venue and find some potential good picture taking spots, and to go over the timeline, so here goes:

5:00 am - Wake up and shower

5:15 am - Blow dry my hair/ put some volume/ hold mousse in it (hair stylist said I need to do this before she starts)  

ALSO One hair stylist and one make up artist (from the same salon) arrive at my parent's house to set up (maybe they'll come a little  earlier than 5:15?))

5:30am - Hair and makeup begins! 
This includes: Airbrush makeup and fake eyelashs and updo for me, updos and airbrush makeup for two bridesmaids, and airbrush makeup and a blowout for short hair for my mother. 

8:00 am - photographer arrives at my parents' house and takes some "getting ready" pictures

8:30 am - be done with hair and makeup! Drive to the wedding venue.

8:45 am - arrive at the wedding venue, put on my wedding dress (its a flowy soft a-line, with a zipper and just a few buttons... it doesn't take long to put on. Women with more complicated dresses should def. budget more time here)

9:00 am - First look and couple portraits with FI

10:00 am - wedding party portraits (3 bridesmaids, 3 groomsmen... we don't want anything complicated) 

10:20 am  - family portraits (photographer said each group shot tends to average about 2-3 minutes)

11:00/ 11:15 am - done with pictures, FI and I have a little quiet time together to decompress/ take it all in . And guests should be arriving. 

11:30 am - Ceremony! 

12:00 pm - cocktail hour

1:00 pm - reception begins  (here the timeline is a little fuzzy/ totally approximated... we need to talk to the dj about his recommendations for the order of things still)

1:05 pm - FI and I are introduced, 

1:07 pm - first dance, 

1:11 pm - combined father/ daughter and mother/ son first dance, 

1:15 pm- toasts? (Parents ... best man... bridesmaids)

1:20 pm- BRUNCH and dancing

3:30 pm - cutting of the cake / FI and I thank everyone again for coming

4:30 pm - start to wrap up

5:00 pm -LEAVE THE VENUE! 

I hope that was helpful? 

ETA: Yeah, I know that my "brunch" reception is actually taking place during just plain "lunch" hours. But... that's the timeline the venue does. And damnit, we're still doing brunch food anyway. Because nom. 

Re: brunch timeline

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't know if you'll need an entire hour for first look and couples photos? I think we only needed 40 minutes for first look, couple photos, family formals, and bridal party photos. We had a smallish group, though? But I don't know.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    My first-look, photos with H, photos with the BP and photos with the little bit of family that was there took about an hour to an hour and a half.

Everything looks good! I'm sorry your bachelorette party was not as happy and fun as you wanted. I would be bummed out if my friends had acted like that too. But I'm so glad you had a great shower! What's your favorite gift?

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    edited May 2015
    @phira @swazzle , yeah, those are the times that the photographer gave. I figure she's adding in a decent amount of buffer time. I do have a lot of family on my dad's side, so I think family portraits might take longer than I would expect/ like. 

Favorite gifts.... we got a set of 6 Joseph Joseph spoons/ ladels/ slotted spoons, etc. I LOVE them, because they're "elevated", so you can stir your food, and then put the spoon on the counter without it touching the counter, or using a spoon rester thing that gets dirty really quickly. Also, FI's aunt and uncle gave us a gift certificate to a nice restaurant in Newport, RI. Not a traditional shower gift, but I really appreciated it since we're going to Newport for our honeymoon. 

...And my mom got us a Kate Spade elephant piggy bank, and zebra/ giraffe salt and pepper shakers. They're really cute, and they're sitting on the mantle place. 

So, basically, ALL THE GIFTS. I love all the gifts. 
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Those spoons sound awesome and the gift certificate is so thoughtful! I need the zebra/giraffe salt and pepper shakers immediately! 

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    edited May 2015
    I forgot! One of my favorite things about last weekend was that my good friend/ bridesmaid who couldn't come sent me flowers! It was so incredibly sweet. She's in med school in Vermont... so taking a trip to CT when she has tons of work/ tests wasn't feasible. I missed her a bunch, and I think the bachelorette would have been better if she had been there, but getting those flowers was really touching. She apparently colluded with FI about the timing of it/ type of flowers. He was texting her right in front of me, and I had no idea!
  • @lilacck28 - Booo, I'm sorry your friends were downers during your Bachelorette party. That's lame. Anyways, I'm happy you had an awesome shower! I'm also jealous of your brunch plans - I MUST get invited to a brunch wedding someday!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • RE: photography - FWIW, my photographer wanted to start 3 hours before ceremony time. H has a large family, and the extra time allowed for making sure everyone was present in groups so we could shoot the family portraits. The first look, couple photos, and wedding party photos were much, much quicker. I think we got mostly done in 2 hours, but it gave us a little time to socialize with our guests as they were arriving (no room for us to hide in at the venue, might as well) and catch other people for photos as they arrived.
  • I'm glad the job is going well, and hopefully it will lead to something full time.  Boo for your friends being fun suckers, but you shower sounds awesome!  

Also, if you need ideas for Newport, definitely rent a scooter.  We rent them for at least a full day each time we visit Newport, and it makes it so much easier to explore the area.  Also, there's a pub near the marina that has amazing breakfast food;Benjamin's.  
  • sorry your friends were downers at your bachelorette. that sort of talk should be saved for the next girls night...but a bachelorette is to celebrate YOU getting MARRIED!!!

the gifts sound awesome, and so sweet of your friend to send flowers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards