Louisiana-New Orleans

May Wedding

Any other May brides out there? I am getting married on May 14, 2011. Is it just my luck or is everything booked up in May? I know its a busy month but WOW. Our reception and room block is at the New Orleans Marriott. Everyone will be coming from out of town. Some people want to come down as early as the Wednesday before the wedding but the Marriott is sold out! Our room block is only for 2 nights (friday and saturday) so I am not sure what to do about the people coming early. EEK!

Re: May Wedding

• edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on Sunday May 29th and it  being a holiday weekend I asked the hotel to included the Thurs and Friday into the room block. It is probably too late to do that now though. The 14th was our original date and I remember everyone saying there was some huge conference that weekend (American Institue of Architects) that is bringing in 24,000 people!

Sorry, no suggestions for you but good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married on May 21st. It was the only day our band and church were available in the spring of 2011 and we booked these two vendors in January of 2010. Its a really popular month.

There is also a convention and we are only able to block 20 hotel rooms but hopefully that is enough. Our block is for Friday and Saturday too and if guests want to come in earlier than friday, they have to make their own hotel room arrangements but i dont have many out of town guests at all so it shouldnt be a problem. Sorry i couldnt have been of more help. Maybe check out a metairie hotel?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fatgirlboofatgirlboo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was able to get a room block at Embassy Suites just a few blocks from the Marriott and they have some rooms for earlier in the week still available. Hopefully everyone will be able to book between the two hotels. I was going back and forth between the 14th and 21st initially, but I was told that there would be a huge conference on the 21st. Now there is an even bigger one on the 14th.... sigh.
  • fatgirlboofatgirlboo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, I know a lot of the guests would like to be in walking distance of the French Quarter so they wont have to rent cars.
  • edited December 2011
    Glad it all worked out :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Fatgirlboo,

are you in DC? funny bc i am too! ha!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • iwinn001iwinn001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to our nightmare!!  We are getting married May 21st and found out about the conventions when we started trying to get hotel blocks.  The only hotel we could find in the FQ that would offer us a block that weekend was the W at $280/night with a 90% guarantee (yikes!).  We ended up only getting a 15-room block at the Hampton Inn in the Garden District for $150/night.  All of our guests are OOT so we did some research and listed hotel recommendations on our website. We did arrange hotel rooms for the wedding party and immediate family.  I'm finding that some hotels are releasing convention-blocked rooms over time, so you may have better luck closer to your date. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards