Not Engaged Yet

WR Vent

We are over a year out and the drama begins....I'm so fucking pissed off right now (excuse the language) and just need to vent. I actually made myself a margarita tonight as a result. 

Anyways, today is FI's birthday. We have both had such crazy hectic weeks that neither of us were able to go to dinner (he is in a meeting as I am typing this at 10 pm PST). We plan to celebrate this weekend. I told him how sorry I was that the best I could do was pick up take out on my way home, and he told me it was okay and that he received a phone call from home today that brightened his spirits about having to work so late on his birthday. His parents, sister, and a bunch of his friends were at his parents' house and they were all on speaker phone. 

Well, apparently at one point in the conversation, his mom and sister both told him that Elle* (not her real name) should be a bridesmaid. Elle is a friend that FI basically grew up with, but FI isn't really extremely close with Elle. They don't talk much and FI doesn't really know much about Elle. I have met Elle a handful of times, and while we get along really well, she isn't the first person who I would call if something was wrong, unlike the four girls that I plan to ask to be bridesmaids. I am also as close to Elle as I am to two of FI's other female friends, A and K, and so is he. 

Elle was in the room when FMIL and FSIL suggested this to FI, and said how she would love to be a bridesmaid, in front of K. 

The infuriating part of this whole thing is that FMIL suggested this a few weeks ago when we talked to her, and FI and I both said that it would be strange for us to ask her and not ask A and K, and that we have other friends that we are closer to who we decided also wouldn't be in our bridal party. FMIL didn't respect our wishes and basically told others that Elle should be a bridesmaid, and tried to back FI into a corner over it on a call that should have just been to wish him a happy birthday. 

This would be entirely different if FI told me that this was someone who was like a second sister to him, but he just isn't that close with her. And now I feel like the good relationship I did have with Elle might be strained if I don't ask her, but I don't feel right asking her and not asking A and K, in addition to 3 other people who I am even closer to than the three of them. 

FI and I are just very annoyed about the whole thing, and don't know how to proceed without hurting anyone's feelings. 

Re: WR Vent

• Swazzle said:

Ugh that is really annoying and I'd be pissed off as well! 

What's especially weird to me is that she is your FI's friend but they're all pushing for her to stand on your side. I would assume you'd want to have your nearest and dearest up there with you on your wedding day, not a friend of your FI that he's not even that close to anymore. 

Your FI should call his mom immediately and set her straight as well as call Elle and explain there's been a misunderstanding. If there are hurt feelings, it's not because of something you or your FI did! 
    Why are people so inappropriate?? And where does Elle get off saying she'd love to be a BM when she's not even close with you guys? Awkward. I'm pissed off for you!

FI needs to talk to his mom again like @swazzle said and be very clear about this. That sucks

• Seriously rude. I'm... so confused by his mom! Saying things like that is hurtful to you, your FI, A, K, AND Elle! 
  • Ditto PP, your FI should talk to his mom and be clear that this isn't happening, then explain to Elle.

On another note, happy belated birthday to your FI!
  • Ugh, that is super frustrating! I hope you at least were able to relax a little with the margarita!  I cosign what everyone else has said.  

• That is SO frustrating. FI should definitely say something to his mom about how inappropriate the whole conversation was. It is not up to his mother to decide who should be in your bridal party, and that needs to be shut down RIGHT now. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• If I were Elle I wouldn't have stood for that either. Does she honestly want to be a BM if the mom/sister pressured your FI into it? That wouldn't feel like an honor, in my opinion, and I would have said "That's not how it works, Mom/Sister...."

Sorry that you're dealing with this already. Margaritas are so bomb for situations like this.

• 500days500days member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Yes, I agree with PPs, FI should address this issue with his mom. And from now on, I wouldn't be telling her anything about the wedding! It's over a year away and bridal party stuff shouldn't even be a topic right now. I am so sorry for the unneeded stress. Especially on a Friday!
  • I just want to say High Fives for allowing your FSIL to choose what she is most comfortable with on that day. I love it. A thousand times! @aurorarose41, you're doing love right. 

QFT. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Ugh that's so frustrating! High five to your FI though for standing up for both of your guys and also knowing it's your decision who you want standing at your side! Also high five for letting FSIL dress as she's comfortable. It seems like you're handling the situation well which is good. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I just want to say High Fives for allowing your FSIL to choose what she is most comfortable with on that day. I love it. A thousand times! @aurorarose41, you're doing love right. 

QFT. 
    I don't know what QFT means... :/ 
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• @beanbot2002 - QFT = quoted for truth
  • Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...I hadn't seen that one. You'd think 3 + years I would know all the abbreviations. Nope.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

Thanks for the High Fives! Although it is sad to me that this type of thinking isn't widely accepted yet. But I will always take a high five :).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards