Wedding Party

Is shopping for BM dresses always insanely stressful?

My 3 BMs don't know each other. We went out BM dress shopping last weekend, and I said two things:

"Short & red"
"You don't have to buy here, just find what kind of thing you like, get a feel for the shade of red I'm talking about, and go with your heart/budget"

But it turned into a half fun "yay pretty dresses!" half really obnoxious outing. Every BM appointment I've ever been to turns into a headache - do my friends/family just suck?

some gems:
From the store lady: "Oh, you're doing short dresses? Hm. Well, then you should really have everyone in the same shoes. You know, for uniformity." (Which me and one of my BMs immediately shot down)

And from one of my BMs:
"Are you getting your makeup done or are you doing it yourself?" -I'm still debating, but I'll probably get it done.
"Oh good. You want to look good on your wedding day. You know, for the pictures."

....I'm still reeling at that one. I know she was nervous, and this girl has her foot in her mouth pretty constantly, but wow.

Am I being too SS or is this kind of thing just generally stressful? Or have I, completely coincidentally, had a string of bad experiences? 

Re: Is shopping for BM dresses always insanely stressful?

• Eh, I don't see either of those comments as particularly stress inducing. LOTS of people are going to offer opinions like that when you're planning a wedding, just nod and move on. 
  • Honestly, you are allowing yourself to get stressed out and upset over two dumb comments.  As for the store lady, she is probably just trying to get you to buy shoes from the store.  And your friend probably didn't mean her comment the way it came off.  Just move on.

And if all you are requiring from your BMs is to buy a dress that is short and red, then why the need to go shopping with them at all?  Just let them do it on their own time.

• Those comments seem pretty benign. It sounds like you're stressing out over other stuff and letting it project onto dress shopping. 

If it stresses you out that much, I would give each BM a swatch of the shade you're looking for and just let them figure it out. You've done the whole shopping together thing and it's obviously not working for you.

To answer your question, the most stressful part of shopping for me was finding a designer that had my three requirements (navy, silk/chiffon, knee length), in styles I liked, with multiple options, and wasn't crazy expensive. I ended up going to Ann Taylor, but it was all stress I put on myself because of the "requirements". 
    *********************************************************************************

• If you're worried about them getting the right shade of red, go to the hardware store, pick out paint chips in the shade you have in mind, mail them the paint chips and say "try to find a dress that's close to this shade." That's what I did. WAAAAAAY easier. 

And stop worrying about those stupid comments. They're not worth getting upset over. I can definitely understand that it was irritating at the time, especially if you were already feeling stressed out. 

I had a bridal consultant ask what I was going to do with my hair and I said wear it down. She said "Oh no! Not with this dress!" Um... it's none of your fucking business what I do with my hair? It irritated me, but then I forgot about it. Now I have to deal with my mom's nagging comments about my hair lol. Oh well. Everyone has something to say I guess. 

Bridal consultants tend to say 1. whatever will get them higher sales, like convincing all your girls to buy matching shoes from their store or 2. whatever they think is most popular currently in the wedding industry, which doesn't make it right. They don't know what's best all the time. So who cares. 
  • If dress shopping with your BMs is stressing you out, stop going BM dress shopping with them.
  • I don't really see what you're getting stressed about. The store worker suggested a crappy idea - this happens often. And your friend made a comment that most likely just came out wrong. I think you're overreacting. 
  • Every time that I've been in a wedding where the bride insisted that we all shop together, it was a pain in the ass or stressful. Whether they know each other or not, shopping with a group is never all that fun. When you add in that everyone has different tastes, needs, budgets, etc, you're usually going to leave someone feeling uncomfortable. 

There is 0 reason for everyone to shop together. You've given them your guidelines: short and red. Let them handle it on their own. You can give them some fabric swatches or paint chips if you have a particular red in mind. 

And I agree with PPs. Just let those comments role off. Of course the sales lady wants you to buy matching shoes from her. She gets the commission. She'll probably also try to get everyone to order early and use her for alterations. Just ignore her like you'd ignore anyone else who wants to upsell you. Your friend probably didn't mean to hurt your feelings. She probably just meant that she thought pro make up would photograph better than normal make up. 
  • You are stressing yourself out over nothing. You already told them what you wanted, let them go on their own. And I don't see how your friends comment was insulting?

Grab a glass of vino and chill out. You're causing unneccessarry stress to yourself.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I agree that none of that equals stressful in my book.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Breath & relax. Your girls now know what length & color you are looking for. There is no reason to plan any further group shopping trips with the girls unless they want to go shopping together as a way to bond & want you to come along for your opinion. If they want that, may I suggest getting together for food & drink before you go to the stores. This may help you relax and enjoy the trip more. I know for my girls I told them the same thing, length & color. Because we were meeting after work I had us meet next door at a sports bar and orders apps for everyone to share & everyone had a few drinks which meant they were more relaxed and no "snickers" moments.

• rcher912 said:

My 3 BMs don't know each other. We went out BM dress shopping last weekend, and I said two things:

"Short & red"
    "You don't have to buy here, just find what kind of thing you like, get a feel for the shade of red I'm talking about, and go with your heart/budget"

But it turned into a half fun "yay pretty dresses!" half really obnoxious outing. Every BM appointment I've ever been to turns into a headache - do my friends/family just suck?  I've been in 10+ weddings and have never participated in a group BM dress shopping trip, because they really aren't necessary. . .Bride gives you the dress designer and style and you either call in your measurements and order the dress or you go in, get measured, order dress.

Now, I think I see why you guys all went together- to let the BM's get to meet each other?  I did the same thing for my wedding- I let the BMs choose any dress of one of 5 colors.  My SIL and some of the other BM's wanted to do a group outing initially- an excuse to then go out to lucnh and socialize, so they did and I came with them because they were all mind blown by being able to choose a dress and wanted to make sure they picked "the right one" lol!

some gems:
    From the store lady: "Oh, you're doing short dresses? Hm. Well, then you should really have everyone in the same shoes. You know, for uniformity." (Which me and one of my BMs immediately shot down)  Meh, just an opinion.  It's not a bad idea to have something that unifies all of the looks so that there is some cohesion visually, but it doesn't need to be shoes.

And from one of my BMs:
    "Are you getting your makeup done or are you doing it yourself?" -I'm still debating, but I'll probably get it done.
    "Oh good. You want to look good on your wedding day. You know, for the pictures."  I don't think she meant this as an insult.  It sounds like it just came out a little tactlessly. 

I can do my own make up really well, but for my wedding I wanted to have it done professionally because 1. I enjoy having it done and 2. I wanted to have event makeup done so that it was sure to hold up all day and not need to be constantly touched up.  We spent an asston on photography, I wanted to look good in those pictures!

....I'm still reeling at that one. I know she was nervous, and this girl has her foot in her mouth pretty constantly, but wow.

Am I being too SS or is this kind of thing just generally stressful? Or have I, completely coincidentally, had a string of bad experiences?  Going shopping for dresses shouldn't be stressful.  And since you are letting them pick whatever dress within certain criteria you don't need to ever go with them again, nor do they need to go together, so my suggestion is to just let them handle getting their dresses from here on out. 

Also, I think you are being too sensitive about things that were said.
      Neither comment was anything that should have warranted you to be annoyed or offended.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• rcher912 said:

"Short & red"

But it turned into a half fun "yay pretty dresses!" half really obnoxious outing. Every BM appointment I've ever been to turns into a headache - do my friends/family just suck?  I've been in 10+ weddings and have never participated in a group BM dress shopping trip, because they really aren't necessary. . .Bride gives you the dress designer and style and you either call in your measurements and order the dress or you go in, get measured, order dress.

Now, I think I see why you guys all went together- to let the BM's get to meet each other?  I did the same thing for my wedding- I let the BMs choose any dress of one of 5 colors.  My SIL and some of the other BM's wanted to do a group outing initially- an excuse to then go out to lucnh and socialize, so they did and I came with them because they were all mind blown by being able to choose a dress and wanted to make sure they picked "the right one" lol!

some gems:
    From the store lady: "Oh, you're doing short dresses? Hm. Well, then you should really have everyone in the same shoes. You know, for uniformity." (Which me and one of my BMs immediately shot down)  Meh, just an opinion.  It's not a bad idea to have something that unifies all of the looks so that there is some cohesion visually, but it doesn't need to be shoes.

And from one of my BMs:
    "Oh good. You want to look good on your wedding day. You know, for the pictures."  I don't think she meant this as an insult.  It sounds like it just came out a little tactlessly. 

I can do my own make up really well, but for my wedding I wanted to have it done professionally because 1. I enjoy having it done and 2. I wanted to have event makeup done so that it was sure to hold up all day and not need to be constantly touched up.  We spent an asston on photography, I wanted to look good in those pictures!

Am I being too SS or is this kind of thing just generally stressful? Or have I, completely coincidentally, had a string of bad experiences?  Going shopping for dresses shouldn't be stressful.  And since you are letting them pick whatever dress within certain criteria you don't need to ever go with them again, nor do they need to go together, so my suggestion is to just let them handle getting their dresses from here on out. 

Neither comment was anything that should have warranted you to be annoyed or offended.

On the "cohesion" point - it's currently being demanded that I buy specific shoes for this very purpose, after the bride decided she wanted a very mismatched look in the dresses. If aesthetic cohesion apart from the dresses she chose is a concern of the bride's (or her mother's, in this case), okay, but she better damn well be paying for it.

The basic suggestion by the consultant doesn't really require snark, but what does is the implication that often follows that specific items outside the dress are fair game to ask the BMs to pay for.

• rcher912 said:

"Short & red"

some gems:

And from one of my BMs:

On the "cohesion" point - it's currently being demanded that I buy specific shoes for this very purpose, after the bride decided she wanted a very mismatched look in the dresses. If aesthetic cohesion apart from the dresses she chose is a concern of the bride's (or her mother's, in this case), okay, but she better damn well be paying for it.

The basic suggestion by the consultant doesn't really require snark, but what does is the implication that often follows that specific items outside the dress are fair game to ask the BMs to pay for.

I had mismatched BMs- 10- and they had 5 different colors to choose from. They all wore different shoes too. I created cohesion in the look by asking them all to get a knee-ish length dress, and then I unified their looks by making sure their bouquets all matched.

There are ways to unify the BMs without trying to make them buy new shoes, wear matching jewelry, etc.

Are you going to buy the shoes?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• rcher912 said:

"Short & red"

some gems:

And from one of my BMs:

I had mismatched BMs- 10- and they had 5 different colors to choose from. They all wore different shoes too. I created cohesion in the look by asking them all to get a knee-ish length dress, and then I unified their looks by making sure their bouquets all matched.

There are ways to unify the BMs without trying to make them buy new shoes, wear matching jewelry, etc.

Yes, to some degree. It will depend how expensive they are whether I totally follow the instructions. $40 shoes? Okay, they're nude heels, I can probably get some use out of them, begrudgingly I will buy. $100 shoes? Nope. I'll tell you I'm not doing it, and if you persist, I'll get my own similar $35 version and you won't notice until it's too late and literally no one else will notice.

Problem here is that bride has the idea that all BMs should expect to spend some arbitrary number (like at least $200) on their attire, and since not all that imaginary general budget is going to the dress, she thinks she's free to spend the rest of it on shoes or whatever else. She thinks she's being laid back on the whole.

• rcher912 said:

"Short & red"

some gems:

And from one of my BMs:

Yes, to some degree. It will depend how expensive they are whether I totally follow the instructions. $40 shoes? Okay, they're nude heels, I can probably get some use out of them, begrudgingly I will buy. $100 shoes? Nope. I'll tell you I'm not doing it, and if you persist, I'll get my own similar $35 version and you won't notice until it's too late and literally no one else will notice.

Problem here is that bride has the idea that all BMs should expect to spend some arbitrary number (like at least $200) on their attire, and since not all that imaginary general budget is going to the dress, she thinks she's free to spend the rest of it on shoes or whatever else. She thinks she's being laid back on the whole.

Oh no!!!

Good luck.

• rcher912 said:

"Short & red"

But it turned into a half fun "yay pretty dresses!" half really obnoxious outing. Every BM appointment I've ever been to turns into a headache - do my friends/family just suck?

some gems:
    From the store lady: "Oh, you're doing short dresses? Hm. Well, then you should really have everyone in the same shoes. You know, for uniformity." (Which me and one of my BMs immediately shot down)

And from one of my BMs:
    "Oh good. You want to look good on your wedding day. You know, for the pictures."

Am I being too SS or is this kind of thing just generally stressful? Or have I, completely coincidentally, had a string of bad experiences? 
    None of this is anything to get stressed out over, I don't really understand what is stressing you out actually. Your BM's question about make up is fair, she's just curious; she's interested in your wedding planning, this is a good thing.

People at stores just wanna sell you stuff, just ignore them.

And like you said yourself, you told them to buy a short red dress, so there should be no obnoxious outings- they can go out by them-self and pick one. If you need them to stick to a certain shade of red, go to a paint store, pick up 3 paint chips and give one to each and say "get as close to this as you can" and be done with it!
  • I've been a bridesmaid 4 times and never been as "stressed out" as you described getting a dress for a wedding. If you are like this now, what are you going to be like closer to your wedding date? Chill out, grab some wine, and let your bridesmaids handle it.

For my wedding, I'm not even requiring them to shop, I know they both own dresses in the colour I want. I just require them to show up, relatively sober (totally sober isn't going to happen with anyone at my wedding) and sign stuff when it needs to be signed preferably without a smiley face. 

Chill out!
  • I found bridesmaid dress shopping to be really stressful, mostly because I didn't want to make anyone buy anything they hated and I felt awkward making a decision. When it came down to it, I picked 5-6 styles at DB in plum, long (both of which they wanted) and fabric and let them pick what they wanted. I wanted it to look uniform but didn't want everyone in the same dress. They all picked something they were happy with.

I also brought one of my bridesmaids - she LOVES to shop and loved the whole experience - a second time just the two of us and she tried on a bunch of stuff and gave me honest opinions. I found the group outing to be way too complicated, too many opinions and people everywhere. Consultants aren't always helpful - sometimes they make it worse. One place I went to the consultant was more into accessorizing with belts and suggesting the girls have trains on their dresses. We hadn't even picked the dress yet!

Def have a glass of wine, relax and breathe. It will be OK. Promise.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't understand why it would be stressful for you? You gave them parameters and then went shopping with them why?

Anyway i would find several things that are stressful as a bridesmaid is if you are not a person who is able to speak up for themselves. For example if the bride wants uniform and the bridal party chose a dress that one person hates, it complicates things. Does that person speak up and become the "difficult bridesmaid" who held the shopping trip up? I tend to feel like if everyone is saying yes at that moment you can get caught up. Or if the bride goes over your budget and doesn't discuss it with you privately.

I'd consider these things stressful and upsetting. The consultants comments? Not so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards