Attire & Accessories Forum

Please help me- I am already having dress regret :(

Hi everyone:

I just bought my dress today, and in looking at the dress that I bought and comparing to many of the other ones that I've tried on, I'm already starting to have some serious dress regret. I am having some thoughts about selling it and buying a different one, but the dress I ordered today won't even be here until September! I can't sell it until it's here, right? Silly question, I know. 

I guess I was just in such a rush, it was a pressure buy. I'm so sad. :( Please help! I'd love some suggestions, commiseration stories, anything at this point! 

Re: Please help me- I am already having dress regret :(

• Have a margarita.  Relax.  Who pressured you into ordering it?  Did you take an entourage with you?  (Big mistake!)  If you are only having buyer's remorse, you will feel better tomorrow.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I didn't bring anyone with me- just my 8-year-old daughter. I was feeling pressure to buy because my wedding is in October and I know there's not much time left. 

What options do I have? Have any of you had the same experience or known someone who's had the same experience? I'm almost positive that my feelings about this are not going to change- I have tried on other dresses that have looked way better on me in retrospect. 

Thanks for listening.
  • You could call the bridal salon right away and tell them your worries and see if they can maybe just cancel your order on that dress.  They'll probably want you to still spend that money at their store though, so they'll possibly just transfer it towards another dress.
  • I agree with the PP, you may still be able to cancel the order. Definitely call and ask about canceling before you start to panic. 
  • If you just ordered it on Saturday, call the salon and ask if you can cancel the order. Tell them you want to make another appointment to try on other dresses (so they don't think they're just losing a sale).

If they won't let you cancel the order, you have two options:

1) Keep it and try to remember why you bought it and what you loved about it. Stop looking at other dresses.

2) If you still want to sell it, then wait until it comes in in September and try to sell it. In the meantime, go buy something else.
    *********************************************************************************

• Breath, relax. If there is nothing you can do then try and think about this, you ultimately bought the dress for a reason...even if it was in haste. You certainly didn't buy a dress that you hated. Having the dress fitted to you and adding your own personal accessories and touches to it will help too. There will always be another dress out there but when you find one, you have to stop looking.
  • I thought I had dress regret, but then I went and tried it on again and I fall in love with it more and more everytime I see it. If you're ever feeling hesitant, go back to the salon and try it on again.
  • I had a similar experience, OP. I'm on a tight budget and found my dress on preownedweddingdresses.com... made the mistake of buying it online without ever trying anything on (dumbdumbdumb). Once it arrived, I just didn't get that "feeling" when I put it on. I decided to give it some time, have it altered, maybe add a sash and some accessories... still didn't get that "feeling." I told my mom about it, and she offered to take me to look at new dresses, "just to make sure." The shop was closing and they were advertising great sales, so I just figured... doesn't hurt to try! Well, I ended up trying on dresses for 3 hours, and found the one that gave me "that feeling!" Now I'm trying to sell my old dress online at stillwhite, preownedweddingdresses, and the forums here. No bites yet, but I'm hoping to get something out of it. 

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's okay. You're not alone. What it all comes down to is that you're supposed to feel happy and gorgeous in your dress, and if you don't feel that way, it's OKAY to change your mind! Explore your return/resale options--will the shop cancel your order and let you apply the money to a new one? If not, can you afford to buy a new one while you wait to sell the old one? If not, maybe try new dresses on in stores and see if you can find them preowned online? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards