Honeymoon Discussions
Options

St. Thomas Virgin Islands

I'm planning our HM and for some reason I picked St Thomas. I'm ify about it though because I have never been nor do I know anyone who has ever been (so I guess that's why I chose it!) Has anyone else been? How was your experience? What's a must to do there?

Re: St. Thomas Virgin Islands

• Options
    I used to work on cruise ships a while back and used to stop in St Thomas (once a week, for about a year). It has what is frequently called "the most beautiful beach in the world", Megans Bay. Personally I prefer Frenchman's reef, by the Morninstar hotel. It is my dream to go back one day and stay there. To do: snorkeling, sunbathing, drinking loads of island punch, glass bottom boats, you know.. the things you do in the Caribbean. Great shopping too, by the way. Duty free, great for alcohol, perfumes and jewelery :-)
  • Options
    Must do: get on the ferry and get over to St. John....  so, so gorgeous there.  You'll love it! 
  • Options
    @lyndausvi may be able to give advice!
  • Options
    I lived in the VI for 15 years.  I haven't been back in 4 years though.    I've heard a bunch of restaurants have changed, so I'm not sure I can be much help there.

Where are you staying?

We have friends who own Vickar's on the East End.  It gets high reviews.  Red Hook has a lot of bars and restaurants.   Plus the ferry is there to go to St John.  

On St John I would rent a Jeep and go around the islands.  It's and easy driver (athough pretty hilly with narrow roads).   Go up Centerline Rd to  I Coral Bay (have burgers at  Skinny Legs).  Then take Northshore rd back hitting up the beach along the way.  I like Maho, Cinnamon and Honeymoon.  Trunk is overrated IMO, plus you have to pay.

ZoZo's (also a friend) is amazing restaurant.  It's at Caneel Bay.   Amazing food and great view of the sunset.

I would bring your passport and take a boat trip over to the BVI's.  There are a lot of boating companies.   Daydream is a catamaran, New Horizons, the Ritz has the Lady Lynsey.   There are a lot of smaller boats you can rent out privately.  

If you are into shopping or just need a break from the sun one day you can hit up Downtown.   Check the paper or the concierge for the day with the least amount of ships.   Sundays are not great down there because a lot of places close or have limited hours on Saturdays.  Same for no-ship days.     

Hit up Megan's Bay.   Although I prefer Lindquist on the East End.

If you like paddle boarding check out Bluewater SUP Safaris.  It's worth the tour.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    Be careful about shopping.  Charlotte Amalie is crammed with Indian owned jewelry stores that promise huge discounts.  Not necessarily so!  It is fine to buy a nice pair of earrings, or a bracelet, but don't spend big bucks.  You cannot trust these vendors, and the stores are not locally owned.
    St. Thomas is beautiful, and you can easily catch the shuttle to St. John.  Coral World was fun.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

Be careful about shopping.  Charlotte Amalie is crammed with Indian owned jewelry stores that promise huge discounts.  Not necessarily so!  It is fine to buy a nice pair of earrings, or a bracelet, but don't spend big bucks.  You cannot trust these vendors, and the stores are not locally owned.
    St. Thomas is beautiful, and you can easily catch the shuttle to St. John.  Coral World was fun.

Sorry you had a bad experience.  And yes some of them are not locally owned, but I personally know the owners of a few stores and they are very trust worthy.   it's not fair to claim none of them are trust worthy.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Yes, you are right.  SOME of them are trustworthy.  But which ones?  Do you have recommendations?  That would be great!
    I did not personally have a bad experience, but I worked in the jewelry field when I was younger, and I know what to buy.  A necklace slide I bought there is one of my favorite pieces.  It wasn't in the front display case.  It was way at the back in a dark corner, and I negotiated for it.
    Since most visitors don't have my knowledge or experience, I do like to caution them.  The worst quality diamonds I have ever seen in a display case were featured as "bargains" at one store.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards