Chit Chat
Options

Cookout Menu-Suggestions?

AprilH81AprilH81 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited May 2015 in Chit Chat
We are having a family cookout in June with my inlaws.  There will be 9 adults and possibly some "kids" who are college age.

We want to be good hosts but keep things VERY budget friendly as DH is the only one working at the moment.  The cookout was my MIL's idea since they will be in town and she may offer to help out but I don't want to count on it (and of course I wouldn't dream of asking).

Tentative Menu:
-hamburgers and hot dogs (we are Costco members so we can get bulk at a good price) with assorted toppings
-Homemade Salsa and Tortilla Chips (possibly homemade guac if I can get avacados on sale)
-Salad
-Cookies/Smores
-Lemonade
-Water
-Beer
-Wine

There are no vegetarians/vegans in the group so I don't have to worry about that.  Should I add another side?  

ETA:  Watermelon will also be on the menu.  MIL gifted me a watermelon Longaberger bowl that I want to use. 
photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: Cookout Menu-Suggestions?

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Could add a pasta salad or potato salad type of thing. Or fruit salad?

I'd be happy with your menu!
  • Options
    AprilH81AprilH81 member
    edited May 2015
    kvruns said:

Could add a pasta salad or potato salad type of thing. Or fruit salad?

I'd be happy with your menu!

Watermelon!  I forgot watermelon.  :)

I thought about a cold salad dish, but if the weather is nice we will be outside and I don't want it sitting out in the heat.
  • Options
    Since when are burger and hot dogs not acceptable?

You've already established there are no vegetarians. I think your menu is fine.

And if people complain that is their problem. You are out of work. Limited budget. They should be grateful you are doing anything under the circumstances.

Fwiw - my high profile chef husband loves hot dogs and hamburgers. He loves when people cook for him. Never complains.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I love making black bean and corn salad for things like this. No mayo in it, just olive oil and balsamic, so it's safe to sit out and tastes better at room temperature anyway. It can be eaten as is or scooped up on chips.

I add tomatoes, avocado, garlic, and a squeeze of lime juice to this recipe.

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/14184/corn-and-black-bean-salad/

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

And if people complain that is their problem. You are out of work. Limited budget. They should be grateful you are doing anything under the circumstances.

Fwiw - my high profile chef husband loves hot dogs and hamburgers. He loves when people cook for him. Never complains.

I was thinking "acceptable" in terms of variety and enough to suit most people.  If I wasn't out of work I would have a veggie tray, a second type of chips, a second dip, another dessert, etc.  

I like to entertain and I like to have plenty of food.  This menu seems sparse to me so I was just double checking that I wasn't missing an obvious dinner "course".
  • Options
    wandajune6wandajune6 member
    edited May 2015
    I think this is a perfectly fine menu. I like lolo's idea for a salad. I also grew up with my gramma's potato salad which is oil/vinegar based, delicious, and super-cheap to make. Overall, delicious menu!

ETA: my sister posted the recipe on her blog: http://cookingonions.com/uncle-johns-potato-salad/
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:

lyndausvi said:

I was thinking "acceptable" in terms of variety and enough to suit most people.  If I wasn't out of work I would have a veggie tray, a second type of chips, a second dip, another dessert, etc.  

I like to entertain and I like to have plenty of food.  This menu seems sparse to me so I was just double checking that I wasn't missing an obvious dinner "course".
    In general the more people you have the more options you need to have.

You have 9 people confirmed. You are totally fine on you menu. Especially since you have no vegetarians.

If they complain oh well.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    edited May 2015
    lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

In general the more people you have the more options you need to have.

You have 9 people confirmed.
    You are totally fine on you menu. Especially since you have no vegetarians.

If they complain oh well.

10 confirmed - I'm coming!  Sounds delicious as is!
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    AprilH81 said:

We are having a family cookout in June with my inlaws.  There will be 9 adults and possibly some "kids" who are college age.

We want to be good hosts but keep things VERY budget friendly as DH is the only one working at the moment.  The cookout was my MIL's idea since they will be in town and she may offer to help out but I don't want to count on it (and of course I wouldn't dream of asking).

Tentative Menu:
    -hamburgers and hot dogs (we are Costco members so we can get bulk at a good price) with assorted toppings
    -Homemade Salsa and Tortilla Chips (possibly homemade guac if I can get avacados on sale)
    -Salad
    -Cookies/Smores
    -Lemonade
    -Water
    -Beer
    -Wine

There are no vegetarians/vegans in the group so I don't have to worry about that.  Should I add another side?  

ETA:  Watermelon will also be on the menu.  MIL gifted me a watermelon Longaberger bowl that I want to use. 

Do you have a recipe for this? I am trying to find a good salsa recipe.

Everything else looks great. With no vegetarians, I think you should be set.

• Options
    dolewhipperdolewhipper member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited May 2015
    arrippa said:

AprilH81 said:

Tentative Menu:
    -Salad
    -Cookies/Smores
    -Lemonade
    -Water
    -Beer
    -Wine

Honestly I just chop up a ton of tomatoes, onions, add some garlic and cilantro, a bit of salt and done!  Recently I realized garlic and onions kill my stomach though so I had to find a low fod map salsa, this one my H loves so I don't have to worry about 2 different salsas CLICKY

OP I would take whatever else money you have and just get some kick ass drinks on hand. Alcohol can get pricey and I know my group loves craft beer. 

imageimage

• Options

I'm a fatty so I'd sub out Doritos for salad. haha.

No but seriously, just like Lynda said that is more than delicious and accomodating! We had a cookout for MIL for mother's day and all we had was one bag of chips, ribs, and baked potatoes on the grill. We had stuff to make salad but everyone was kinda like "eh don't bother".

• Options
    edited May 2015
    jenna8984 said:

No but seriously, just like Lynda said that is more than delicious and accomodating! We had a cookout for MIL for mother's day and all we had was one bag of chips, ribs, and baked potatoes on the grill. We had stuff to make salad but everyone was kinda like "eh don't bother".

LOL don't you normally only eat meat and potatoes on a normal day? ;)

I'll be honest, I'd expect more than meat and chips if I went to a cookout that wasn't presented as a potluck. But with the salad and watermelon it sounds like plenty, and I'm normally an over-hoster as well. If you want a second veg/starch side I'd skip the guacamole and do something with beans or potatoes since they're so budget friendly. Avocados to make guac for 9 10 would be super pricey and not add another "thing" since they're more part of the chips.

• Options
    For DH's graduation party this past weekend, we had a cookout also. The menu was very similar to yours. Hamburgers, hotdogs, assorted condiments, salsa and chips, potato chips, chili, slaw, pasts salad, and desert. We provided beer, sweet tea, and water.

I think you're good to go.

• Options
    Sounds really good, April! 

If y'all are on a tight budget, I would just buy costco salsa - it's good and cheaper/easier than making it yourself. Then you'd likely be able to add the guac.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Sounds fine to me!
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I would skip the guacamole, because I feel like avocados can get pricey, and also funky in the heat and sun, but that's just me.

I would add a side to go with the burgers and dogs instead.....beans, potato salad, macaroni salad, corn on the cob, etc.  

Just a suggestion though, because I would perfectly happy with what you already have planned!
  • Options

jenna8984 said:

LOL don't you normally only eat meat and potatoes on a normal day? ;)

I'll be honest, I'd expect more than meat and chips if I went to a cookout that wasn't presented as a potluck. But with the salad and watermelon it sounds like plenty, and I'm normally an over-hoster as well. If you want a second veg/starch side I'd skip the guacamole and do something with beans or potatoes since they're so budget friendly. Avocados to make guac for 9 10 would be super pricey and not add another "thing" since they're more part of the chips.

lol yes- yes we do. If it had been more people then you're right I would have had more options. But it was literally just me, DH, parent in laws and she's celiac who doesn't eat practically anything. On Thanksgiving she makes a turkey and potatoes and that's it. (Yea we do our own T-giving now!)

• Options
    I usually bring pasta salad to cookouts and it always goes quick. I do rotini, chopped raw veggies (bell peppers, red onions, celery, broccoli, and carrots), and then a TON of pepperoni and cheddar cheese (all cubed up from a big block -- yass), and mix everything together with salt and pepper, Italian dressing, and a dash of French dressing. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Am I the only one that was sad this wasn't about choosing what to order at Cookout, the Southeast's cheapest and most awesome fast food chain?

I am counting the days until it is watermelon shake season, and I will drive 100 miles to Richmond to get one (and visit family. But mostly for the shake.).
  • Options
    loveislouderloveislouder member
    edited May 2015
    Just an FYI about Costco and bulk burgers - the fresh bulk burgers cost more at Costco than they did at Sobeys by a long shot. We bought their frozen ones - 24 for 26 bucks.

Your menu looks great :)

ETA: Spelling is hard.
  • Options
    arrippa said:

AprilH81 said:

Tentative Menu:
    -Salad
    -Cookies/Smores
    -Lemonade
    -Water
    -Beer
    -Wine

We did a salsa making class in Cozumel (super fun!!!) and I'm going to use their recipe for their green tomatillo salsa.  If you Google search "Salsa Salsa Margarita" they have their recipes online, including their guac which was amazing.
  • Options

I think it all sounds delicious!  Can I come?

For only 9 people, you might be better off forming your own burgers with ground beef.  The premade patties from Costco are fine, but you'll end up spending more only because you have to buy so many.  Just buy their ground beef from the case, form your own (put a little indentation in the middle so they don't puff up), season with whatever seasoning you like (I like Montreal Steak sesasoning, or even just S&P), and there you go, and you can freeze the excess ground beef for other types of meals later on.  Plus they'll probably taste better than the premade ones anyway :)

Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    What about a roasted corn on the cob or baked beans? At least, that's what we do for our BBQs.
  • Options

For only 9 people, you might be better off forming your own burgers with ground beef.  The premade patties from Costco are fine, but you'll end up spending more only because you have to buy so many.  Just buy their ground beef from the case, form your own (put a little indentation in the middle so they don't puff up), season with whatever seasoning you like (I like Montreal Steak sesasoning, or even just S&P), and there you go, and you can freeze the excess ground beef for other types of meals later on.  Plus they'll probably taste better than the premade ones anyway :)

While I agree and all, considering that there are multiple things on the menu (and OP seems to have little help at the moment), I don't know if she really wants to take the time to make and season her own burger patties. I mean, yea, it's simple enough if that's ALL that you're doing, but if you're also chopping other veggies, making salads, getting all the topping together (slicing tomatoes and lettuce and onion) then I would happily go for pre-made. Plus you can just store them in the freezer and use it for a couple of BBQs over the summer.
  • Options

While I agree and all, considering that there are multiple things on the menu (and OP seems to have little help at the moment), I don't know if she really wants to take the time to make and season her own burger patties. I mean, yea, it's simple enough if that's ALL that you're doing, but if you're also chopping other veggies, making salads, getting all the topping together (slicing tomatoes and lettuce and onion) then I would happily go for pre-made. Plus you can just store them in the freezer and use it for a couple of BBQs over the summer.

That's very true, it is more labor intensive, although it could be done ahead of time and just kept in the fridge.  She had just mentioned cost was a big factor in the menu planning, and making your own is a good way to save some money. 

Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ditto suggestions for corn on the cob! Easy to make, and I know around here sometimes there are sales 6 for $1.00 on ears of corn.

I also think baked beans or a potato salad would be a good side option.

Your BBQ is something I would be happy to attend!!!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We don't mind making the patties ourselves as long as that is the cheapest method of purchasing the meat.  DH will be here the day of and his parents will be here early.  MIL will happily help with the prep work, I just didn't want to count on their financial assistance for the actual meal.  They are super generous so I wouldn't be surprised if they contribute in some way to the meal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards