Wedding Party
Options

JJshouse or... does anyone know the real designer?

I've read the bad reviews on JJshouse but I have picked out three different dresses for my maids and they all ended up being from there.  I know they are knockoffs as I had been searching for one of the dresses for years before I even got engaged and jjshouse was the first place I found that would actually let me buy it.  I don't know if I want to trust my girls to China.  Anyone know where I can find the real thing(s)? (first two are the same dress- still can't find it)

Thank you girls!

imageimageimageimage

Re: JJshouse or... does anyone know the real designer?

• Options
    All I know is I would advise you not to order from jjshouse. I've not heard much of anything good about them. As for the real ones, if you been looking for years, it could be the real dresses are discontinued? Why not go to some dress shops and see if you can find something similar?
  • Options
    Don't order from them, or any other overseas knock off companies.

1: (purely selfish reasons)  The sewing is subcontracted out, and who knows where. There is no standard of quality adhered to. Somebody occasionally gets decent wearable things, but very often, nope. And you have absolutely no legal recourse. 

2: (seriously moral reasons)  The reason things from Chinese sites are so low cost is that the  workers are either horribly underpaid or blatantly slave labor.  Over 6 million just in the apparel industry. Sometimes kids. Like, entire classes of middle schoolers participating in school required "work education" programs. 8AM-11PM breathing chemicals and fabric fibers, and having their wages withheld and not allowed to call home. Stuff like that is happening. 

No dress is pretty enough to support that.

A couple of examples posted by JJS customers, and you can see these things aren't made by professionals. 

imageimage
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    Oh, my.  Those first two photos!  I would be shocked to see anyone dressed in those at a wedding.  They are so short, and they look like babydoll nightgowns!  Don't do it!  JMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    You couldn't pay me to wear any of those dresses. 

Start by asking each of your bridesmaids what their budgets are, privately.  Go with the smallest budget.  Let your bridesmaids try on dresses and give their input.  They're the ones who are going to be buying it and wearing it; their comfort is more important than your vision or the fact that you picked out these dresses years ago.  Whatever you do, DO NOT buy knock-off dresses from sites like jjshouse.

• Options
    Have you asked your BMs their budget? Because designer gowns are expensive and if you go with the real thing, that may be out of their budget. And definitely don't order knockoffs. You'll end up wasting their money when they come in and don't work. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    Well, I thought that first dress was lingerie when I saw it, so I would maybe rethink that.

Instead of searching for dresses from a vision you had before a wedding was even in the realm of possibility, work with the reality now.  Now you have real people in your wedding party participating in the real wedding.  Maybe they wouldn't even be comfortable in that dress, or it would be out of their budget, or if they have different body types then what looks great on one person might look horrible on the other.  Instead...

1) Privately ask each person their budget.

2) Decide whether you want to pick out the exact dress or give some parameters and let them go on their own.
    2a) If you are going to pick it out, then also be a thoughtful bride and privately ask if there is anything your wedding party would be uncomfortable with (i.e. nothing more than X inches above the knee, nothing strapless, etc.)
    2b) If you're letting them pick it out, then decide how much leeway you want to give them - tell them your parameters for length, color, fabric, designer, etc.

3) Look at what is currently available to you within your area, preferably that they can try on, within the lowest budget given and make your decision. 

Don't just look at random pictures and fall in love with dresses from disreputable websites and then try to chase it - go to what you know is reputable and easily accessible to you all (Davids, Macy's, J. Crew, whatever) and select from the available options there.

• Options
    The first dress is short but would have worked for my sister.  Doesn't matter as as of this morning it isn't even available from jjshouse anymore.  I have talked to my girls about budget and dresses which is where the 2nd and third one come into play.  Two need sleeves.  One needs full length.  But we can't go out and look at dresses.  Only one of them lives anywhere near me.  Thus I'm doing most everything on my own.  Oh well.  At this point I don't think they'll even be able to order dresses to match each other in time.
  • Options
    wren0113 said:

The first dress is short but would have worked for my sister.  Doesn't matter as as of this morning it isn't even available from jjshouse anymore.  I have talked to my girls about budget and dresses which is where the 2nd and third one come into play.  Two need sleeves.  One needs full length.  But we can't go out and look at dresses.  Only one of them lives anywhere near me.  Thus I'm doing most everything on my own.  Oh well.  At this point I don't think they'll even be able to order dresses to match each other in time.

How far out is your wedding?

If those are the dresses you like, can you just give your girls the parameters of neutrals; beige, ivory, copper, gold, and Bows get you bonus points?
  • Options
    David's Bridal is a national chain and if the girls don't live near you, they can go to a store near them as long as they have the info they need.  And there is nothing wrong with mismatched dresses if two need sleeves and one needs a long dress. 
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

All of those dresses belong on a thread over on Snarky Brides.

Pick a color/ fabric and tell your BP to find their own dresses.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I want to thank all of you for your help.  I must say I was completely surprised at the ...ummm... directness of a couple of comments.  Couldn't pay to wear any of them... well we are not going with these dresses but nevertheless- that wasn't necessary.  I was asking for help finding similar dresses.  Chiffon, flowy, some detail like a sash or ruffle hem.

I appreciate the feedback on the vendor.  And the tactful comments on the first dress.  We will figure something out.  I will be going to David's Bridal and a few other chains with one of my maids today and if we can find something for her that will ship in time (August) then I will give my other maids the brand, material and color so they can find something to match without being the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards