Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding on Halloween

We just booked our venue , but the only date available in October was Halloween. I love Halloween, but I don't want a Halloween themed wedding. The venue is a restaurant with a beautiful view, hardwood floors, chivari chairs, flower centerpieces. I'd love to find a way to incorporate just a little bit of the holiday (so it won't be overkill, which our older family members won't appreciate) into the wedding. I was thinking maybe a candy bar, but I would love to hear other people's suggestions!

Thanks! 

Re: Wedding on Halloween

• A candy bar is a great idea!  Maybe work some small pumpkins and decorative gourds into your centerpieces.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just because your wedding falls on Halloween does not mean you have to do anything Halloween related.

However, a candy bar would be a great idea because just think of the deals you can get on candy, especially as your wedding gets closer.  And please, whatever you do, buy good candy and not stuff that just matches your color scheme.

• edited June 2015
  • I think the candy bar is a GREAT idea! And I agree with @pinkrevenge about one or two silly Halloween songs. 

Maybe figure out a way to turn the wedding cake topper (if you're using one) into a Halloween themed one. 
  • Thanks so much guys! I love the ideas, especially the Halloween song! :) 
  • I'd work some pumpkins in, maybe into the centerpieces or table numbers.
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    My first wedding was Halloween weekend, and other than one tier of our cake being pumpkin, we didn't have anything related to the holiday. You don't need to if you don't want to. 

I like the idea of a candy bar, though! Those are nice no matter the date. :)
  • My wedding is Oct. 30th and I didn't want it so close to Halloween for that reason, but like you it was one of the last fall dates left :) However, we're going to give candy as favors (started with a candy bar idea but it got really expensive). I'm also thinking of carving our initials into some pumpkins and putting them on the steps of the wedding venue. I'm trying to make our wedding more fall-ish than Halloween-ish :) but there are tons of ways to do it.

If you plan on including orange in your décor just even it out with some other fall hues like maroon, eggplant, gold, or chocolate brown. I also love the Halloween song idea!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You could have a Halloween themed signature drink.....Scorpion, Black Widow, Melted Witch, or Candy Corn cocktail.  They aren't as "Halloween-ish", but white pumpkins can be used and still maintain an elegant look.  I love the idea of incorporating a Halloween themed song into your play list!
  • I'm also getting married this Halloween... be prepared for every fucking person to ask if you're doing costumes. LOLSOFUNNYBUTNO,WE'RENOT.

I pretty much bought out foam pumpkins from the Dollar Tree last October and plan to glitter and spray paint them sometime this summer for centerpieces. I'm also having a lot of real pumpkins around the venue, along with tons of Halloween candy. And obviously the wedding party is coming out to "thriller." Other than that, it's a pretty normal wedding.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I was at a wedding once where the bridal party was introduced wearing masks (think masquerade ball type of masks) and gloves, dancing to Thriller, to bring in the Halloween element. The bridesmaids dresses were just any black dress, and for the intro they had orange wraps...so very Halloween-looking.

However, they WANTED a Halloween themed wedding! Nevertheless, it was really just for that one little intro, and nothing else was Halloween related. 
  • edited February 2015

I was DYING for a Halloween wedding and FI said no. We weren't going to use it as our theme anyway, but I was thinking caramel apples for favors (or a caramel apple bar), pumpkins as centerpieces, things like that.

ETA: that was apparently my 100th comment! I was excited :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am getting married on October 30th of next year, I actually like that I can use pumpkins as centerpieces instead of flowers, I plan on spray painting them black and probably glittering them. And I think for bouquets we are going to do a combination of roses and flowers made of book pages.
  • We were looking to get married on Hallowe'en since it's our dating anniversary, but we couldn't make the timeline work. I was going to do a Fall theme with a couple of Hallowe'en themes pulled in: dry ice in the drinks, pumpkins and gourds, dried leaves, apples, ciders, cranberries etc.

We are getting married the next fall and working some of decor into our wedding.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Well, you can use pumpkins as centerpieces, and you can also serve pumpkin and apple pie as well as candy apples.

I love the candy bar idea.

• Love the idea of pumpkin centerpieces using your colors.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Are you worried about declines because of a Halloween wedding? Kids typically go trick-or-treating on Halloween, often with their parents. I would expect a Halloween wedding to be a huge hassle for anyone with kids that age. 
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    MobKaz said:

You could have a Halloween themed signature drink.....Scorpion, Black Widow, Melted Witch, or Candy Corn cocktail.  They aren't as "Halloween-ish", but white pumpkins can be used and still maintain an elegant look.  I love the idea of incorporating a Halloween themed song into your play list!

I'd skip naming the drink after a spider who kills it's mate after sex. . . . just saying!
  • Halloween is my favorite holiday and we almost picked it for our wedding, but I knew FI would be less than thrilled about it. Also, my favorite halloween treat, along with carmel apples, is popcorn balls. Think about those on your candy bar too, or just as favors!
  • louxnoellelouxnoelle member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    I'm obsessed with the idea of really nice, gourmet-type caramel apples as the favors. You could even tie a tag with the guest's name on them so they double as place-cards! Just make sure they're wrapped so people can take them home. You could even do colored candy apples in whatever your wedding colors are.

Just wanted to point out that you're not limited to a fall color-scheme (although beautiful!), even if you wanted to incorporate pumpkins, etc. To shy away from Halloween, I love the idea of incorporating fall elements in non-traditional fall colors.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards