Snarky Brides
Options

NWR: Baby Shower For Sixth Kid

My sister lives OOT near some extended family and was invited to the baby shower for my cousin. It's their sixth kid and they already know it's a girl, which they have four of already.

My sister is smart and declining. Because, seriously. WTF. 

Re: NWR: Baby Shower For Sixth Kid

• Options
    Ugh. At least she's not throwing it herself?

Anniversary
  • Options
    Well when you have that many kids it's obviously not your fault and everyone else needs to support it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    chibiyui said:

She's not -- my aunt and other cousin are. 

They are Catholic and don't use any form of birth control so this cousin will now have six kids and her other sister has, gah, I want to say six or seven. So, again, it's not like she doesn't have full on access to hand me downs.
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    redoryx said:

chibiyui said:

They are Catholic and don't use any form of birth control so this cousin will now have six kids and her other sister has, gah, I want to say six or seven. So, again, it's not like she doesn't have full on access to hand me downs.
    Not to start this whole debate again, but birth control isn't the only way to prevent pregnancy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    KatWAG said:

redoryx said:

chibiyui said:

Not to start this whole debate again, but birth control isn't the only way to prevent pregnancy. 
    I wasn't speaking necessarily about medical birth control. What I meant to say was they don't do anything to actively prevent pregnancy. 
  • Options
    Is this a full on shower or a sprinkle??

I know in my family, we celebrate every birth but no one thinks that mom gets to register - and she definitely doesn't get to pull the "where's a crib when we need one?" kind of BS. 
  • Options
    ugh. Entitlement. 

My aunt is throwing a shower for my cousin; this time its a boy (her first was a girl) and they are 6 years apart; so I can sort of get it, but I still side-eyed my mom when she told me about it.
  • Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    banana468 said:

I know in my family, we celebrate every birth but no one thinks that mom gets to register - and she definitely doesn't get to pull the "where's a crib when we need one?" kind of BS. 
    I spoke to my sister -- the one who actually received the invitation -- and it does seem like it's being billed as a full on shower.
  • Options
    redoryx said:

banana468 said:

I spoke to my sister -- the one who actually received the invitation -- and it does seem like it's being billed as a full on shower.
    Ick.

That said, I think this is becoming the new normal. Good Lord on the Bump it seems every other poster is throwing their own shower and throwing their own 2nd+ kid shower. 

And when people do disagree they're all "Don't listen to them, IT'S YOUR SPECIAL DAY"

Baby shower. Your. Special. Day. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Y'know people are having so many "your special days" it's hard to keep track anymore. Wedding, baby shower, baby number 2 shower, baby number 7 shower... I could go on but I'm bored already. 
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member

Y'know people are having so many "your special days" it's hard to keep track anymore. Wedding, baby shower, baby number 2 shower, baby number 7 shower... I could go on but I'm bored already. 

Don't forget gender reveals!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

I totally did, thank you. But I experienced one once where there was gender reveal party and then a subsequent "It's a Girl!" party. Gag.
  • Options

KatWAG said:

I totally did, thank you. But I experienced one once where there was gender reveal party and then a subsequent "It's a Girl!" party. Gag.
    Who goes to all these parties?  I imagine it's the same six aunts in the room every time.
  • Options
    BouxRadleyBouxRadley member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    adk19 said:

KatWAG said:

Who goes to all these parties?  I imagine it's the same six aunts in the room every time.
    Essentially. However, I've found that the free mimosas and moscato punches make them surprisingly more tolerable. 

ETA: Those same six aunts usually always give the same six onesies / baby blankets each time, too. 
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

And then over-the-top birthday parties for the kids. From ages 1-4 the kid is so young he or she has no idea what's happening, and it's all just adults standing around shoving gifts at a kid who gets bored opening them.  From age 5 on, the kid would rather be with his or her buddies and the bouncy house/pool etc; and is indifferent to the adults in the room.  Lesson to be learned here:  you don't need to invite your adult friends and everyone in your town to your kid's birthday party. It's tacky. 

Saw this with my niece. I love her, dearly, but the birthday parties my in-laws throw for her are all about them and not about the kid. The kids barely even have any fun! The sad thing is, her birthday is in January so these Sunday afternoon birthday parties are always during the football playoffs and none of the adults want to be there at all. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards