Wedding Etiquette Forum

Awkward family situation

My FI and I recently made the decision to change our venue from a barn that we could host 125 people to my mother's backyard, where we'll have a small wedding with only family and a few friends in attendance.

However, my dad is making things difficult. He and I are not very close, and his girlfriend/babymama is a complete jerk. He's basically told me that not inviting more of his side of the family will make things awkward for them since the wedding won't be in "neutral" territory. 

I'm very close with my mother's side of the family, and I've invited her two brothers (my uncles plus their wives/kids) and my grandparents. One of my uncles is officiating. This brings my mom's side total to 13, plus my step-dad's side of 4, so 17 total. 

Basically, I'm wondering if I should move the wedding to neutral territory or invite more of my dad's family? On one hand, I want to make everyone comfortable, but on the other, he hasn't contributed anything to the wedding (my mom and step-dad have paid for and hosted everything). 

Re: Awkward family situation

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    ***Removed for TOS violation***
  • If you are not close with your dad's family, you shouldn't invite them.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • He is a guest not a host. Guests do not get a say in the guest list.

• Stand your ground 100%.  Don't let him pressure you.  If he pitches a shit fit about it say, "Well, I certainly hope you can still make it."  And don't engage in the conversation further than that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Stand your ground, OP.  Think of this from a logical point of view-- you are close to your mother's family.  You are not close to him.  He is not contributing. He is being an ass.  Why would you let him dictate this?  He can suck it up and act like an adult, or he can chose not to attend.  

• levioosa said:

Stand your ground, OP.  Think of this from a logical point of view-- you are close to your mother's family.  You are not close to him.  He is not contributing. He is being an ass.  Why would you let him dictate this?  He can suck it up and act like an adult, or he can chose not to attend.  

So much this. And if he bitches about it, tell him you're very sorry to hear that and you'll miss him at the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thank you all so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

He hasn't spoken to me in a week (he likes to guilt-trip me, as you might have noticed), but if he brings up the issue again, I'll inform him that we don't have the space to accommodate more people, but that he, his girlfriend, and my paternal grandmother (I'll allow her, not random aunts/uncles/cousins) are welcome to come.

Honestly it'd be the best day ever if they just threw a fit and didn't come, but not inviting them would turn into a dumb political thing that I just don't have the composure to work through.

Oh, the joy of family, am I right? lol

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

He hasn't spoken to me in a week (he likes to guilt-trip me, as you might have noticed), but if he brings up the issue again, I'll inform him that we don't have the space to accommodate more people, but that he, his girlfriend, and my paternal grandmother (I'll allow her, not random aunts/uncles/cousins) are welcome to come.

Honestly it'd be the best day ever if they just threw a fit and didn't come, but not inviting them would turn into a dumb political thing that I just don't have the composure to work through.

Oh, the joy of family, am I right? lol

From what you've posted about your dad and his GF, it might very well happen no matter what you decide.
  • Jen, that's a distinct possibility.
    I was engaged for two months before he even asked me about the wedding (and I told him the night my FI asked). It wasn't until I told him that the wedding would be at my mother's house that he offered to help pay for a "better" venue (my mom and stepdad had already graciously paid for my dress, and enough to cover the photographer and caterer). He insisted the wedding be held somewhere that wasn't 'trashy' and that if he gave me the money for a different venue, that I would need to invite more of his family. 
    After telling him, no, the wedding will be at mom's, he said that he knew some people, i.e. his girlfriend, would be in a bad mood due to the close quarters with my mom, which would then put others in a bad mood. 
    Needless to say, I told politely but firmly told him that anyone who knew they would act poorly was not welcome at my wedding and they can quietly GTFO. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards