Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Borrowing a Piece of Jewelry From a Shop

Hello - 

Our jeweler has offered to let us borrow a beautiful diamond necklace for the wedding.  It's more than I would ever spend on a necklace at this stage in my life but it does look absolutely gorgeous and it goes nicely with my strapless dress.  FI totally wants to do it.  I have never borrowed jewelry before and I admit it feels a little "Hollywood" in a fun way, BUT...

The risks:

- We are getting married out of town so it would have to travel with us.
- We have a home where we are getting married but will be staying in hotel suites for 2 nights so it will have to go in a safe at some point.  TBH, the safe in the hotel is probably safer than our house. 
- ***This is my biggest concern: after the wedding, we are going out in downtown New Orleans.  There is no way I would wear it.  FI has offered to take it to our suite himself to put into the safe but I'm worried it will be a hassle.  I would never ask anyone else to do this for me and I doubt that with the momentum from the reception I'm going to want to tell my friends who are going out on the town with us, "hold on while I go stash this ice in the safe..."

Have any of you ever borrowed a piece like this?
Do the cons outweigh the pros in this case?

I would obviously ask the shop if we could insure it in some way and I do have the money to cover it if God forbid something happened to it, but it would be a huge hit I would not want to take if it got lost or stolen.  Am I worrying too much?

Re: Borrowing a Piece of Jewelry From a Shop

• Options
    I do not know anyone who has borrowed jewelry for an event. Well if they have I do know not about it.

I will say though I MIGHT be open to it if the right set of circumstances arose, aka small wedding, in my town, easy departure etc. However,if I was in the position you described I would probably skip borrowing it because, knowing me, I would be constantly worrying about it. I would forget it was on and then reach for my neck every 20 min to make sure it was there. But that is the kind of person I am and the last thing I want on my wedding day is that added stress that is not necessary and could be skipped.

I am sure others on this site might be able to give you more ideas about how the logistics of this type of thing works.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Thank you @aliwis000 - all your points are totally valid, especially that of being nervous during the reception.  I hadn't even thought of that.  Watch all my wedding photos come back with my hand on my neck in every one!
  • Options
    @lyndausvi you borrowed jewelry, correct?
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015

@lyndausvi you borrowed jewelry, correct?

Yes I did.

My family have been going to the same jeweler for 30 years or more.   I was in the store for something else and Ken offered me a diamond bracelet to wear for the wedding.   I took him up on the offer.    My wedding was 3 hours from the store on a beach.  I was a little nervous, but it was all good.   My parents were going to return the bracelet for me.     

After the wedding DH surprised me by buying the bracelet for me.   

I'm pretty sure my sister has borrowed jewelry from him too.  As I said, we have been going to him for years.   I live OOT and still use him for certain items.  We have a bond.  Not sure I would have borrowed something from another store.

ETA - where in NOLA are you going out after the wedding?  Will you still be in your dress?      I would have been comfortable running around the French Quarter in my dress with my diamond bracelet.   Being in a group situation and all.    I would not be comfortable walking down one of the dark side streets alone with it on.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thanks @lyndausvi!  Like you, we have been going to this jeweler for decades and have a long trusted relationship.

We will definitely be out in the Quarter and although I will feel safe in the group, there have been a ton of iPhone snatches on Bourbon lately by kids on bikes.  The necklace would make me too nervous.  It's so shiny!  Haha

I am indeed changing out of my gown & into a short dress.  I think my DOC is helping to transport the dress to the hotel so I guess I should talk to her about taking the necklace as well.  I have not yet met her so I hadn't thought of that as an option.  

Thank you again!
  • Options
    I live in New Orleans and never wear expensive stuff downtown.  It is not the way to go.  Yes hotels have safes so if you would you might get one of your maids to run it back after the ceremony.  I am in a wedding, end of summer, the bride just drips in jewels.  I mentioned this post to her and she plans to wear "everything."  Just be careful.  Welcome to our city, you will have fun.  This season I am in 4 weddings in varied places, I normally feel safe all over.

• Options

I live in New Orleans and never wear expensive stuff downtown.  It is not the way to go.  Yes hotels have safes so if you would you might get one of your maids to run it back after the ceremony.  I am in a wedding, end of summer, the bride just drips in jewels.  I mentioned this post to her and she plans to wear "everything."  Just be careful.  Welcome to our city, you will have fun.  This season I am in 4 weddings in varied places, I normally feel safe all over.

Thank you!  Yeah, we lived there as well for the last 5 years.  Probably about half of our friends have been robbed overall, some at gunpoint :( .  We still have our place there but only come down about once a month now.  

I agree with your assessment 100% - I've decided to stop at the hotel right after the reception and drop the dress and put the necklace in the safe.  With all the snatch & grabs on Bourbon lately, I'm definitely not going to wear anything sparkly.  Also, I'm not anticipating having "all my faculties" in tact by that point!  haha  

Thank you again, I'm excited to get back down there tomorrow :)  Have fun in those weddings, you are really making the circuit!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards