Chit Chat
Options

Baton Rouge/NOLA vacation help!

teddygirl9teddygirl9 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited May 2015 in Chit Chat

Headed to BR/NOLA at the end of september and I need some awesome places to eat & drink or must do attractions. I like divey places with yummy food and cheap drinks! Staying 3 nights in BR @ Hyatt Place, and 3 nights just outside the FQ at Hyatt Regency.

Suggestions that have been made already:

Hobnobbers for breakfast/lunch

Commanders Palace for 25c martinis

Happy Hour @ Borgne, Acme

Any help or suggestions are appreciated :)

eta- I know commanders palace is not divey, that will be our one fancy birthday lunch!

Re: Baton Rouge/NOLA vacation help!

• Options
    As cliche as it is, Cafe du Monde. Beignets are a must. A MUST. 
  • Options

I was thinking about stopping in sometime in the evening/non rush times. I'd read it gets super busy in the morning, but might be nice later on!

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    The Hyatt is right near the Super Dome, not a whole lot right there, but the FQ is walkable (less then a mile).  

I love Parkway Bakery.   The debris sandwich at Mother's is pretty damn tasty too (about 9 blocks from the Hyatt on Poydras.)  If you  like pork go to Cochon.     Iconic restaurants like  Muriel's, Aronald's and Galtories are good.  Not necessarily, must do's, but they are NOLA mainstays.   

I feel like Bourbon is overrated, but you still need to go down one night.  I prefer the bar at the Royal Sonesta.  It's not as crazy as the other places, but you get some great seats to watch all the action.  Royal Sonesta has good jazz too.    Preservation Hall is worth checking out.  You have to arrive about 45 mins early to get in line.      Pat's O'briens paino bar is pretty popular too.

I love the World War II museum.  I've been to all the Smithsonians in DC and feel like this one blows them away.

ETA - Central Grocery for muffulatas.     Get there early as there is always a line.   Johnny's is good for po-boys too (although I like Parkway better).     And how can I forget Willie Mae's for fried chicken.     Amazing fried chicken.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

I was thinking about stopping in sometime in the evening/non rush times. I'd read it gets super busy in the morning, but might be nice later on!

it's always busy.   The line moves fast though.    Cafe Beignet on Royal is just as good if not better. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    louxnoellelouxnoelle member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    lyndausvi said:

I love the World War II museum.  I've been to all the Smithsonians in DC and feel like this one blows them away.

I was coming to suggest this! I was so impressed by that place.

In addition to all the fun, divey places, we loved Emeril's restaurant. They have a stuffed chicken wing (yeah, I said it) and a creme brûlée trio that I don't even want to talk about because they were so delicious.

We had a terrible experience at Galatoire's. We went because we both have an affinity for A Streetcar Named Desire, and it was bad. Like, "where is Gordon Ramsey to come in yelling at people" bad. And expensive. We were less than pleased.

ETA: Emeril has three restaurants in New Orleans. I'm 90% sure we went to NOLA.
  • Options
    RezIpsaRezIpsa member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    lyndausvi said:

The Hyatt is right near the Super Dome, not a whole lot right there, but the FQ is walkable (less then a mile).  

I love Parkway Bakery.   The debris sandwich at Mother's is pretty damn tasty too (about 9 blocks from the Hyatt on Poydras.)  If you  like pork go to Cochon.     Iconic restaurants like  Muriel's, Aronald's and Galtories are good.  Not necessarily, must do's, but they are NOLA mainstays.   

I feel like Bourbon is overrated, but you still need to go down one night.  I prefer the bar at the Royal Sonesta.  It's not as crazy as the other places, but you get some great seats to watch all the action.  Royal Sonesta has good jazz too.    Preservation Hall is worth checking out.  You have to arrive about 45 mins early to get in line.      Pat's O'briens paino bar is pretty popular too.

ETA - Central Grocery for muffulatas.     Get there early as there is always a line.   Johnny's is good for po-boys too (although I like Parkway better).     And how can I forget Willie Mae's for fried chicken.     Amazing fried chicken.
    This is all excellent advice. My only addition is Hansen's for snowballs. It's orgasmic. If you want a dive on Bourbon, go to Lafitte's. Fritzel's has good jazz (they only take cash, which is true for a surprising number of places in New Orleans). If you will be there on a Tuesday, go see the Rebirth Brass Band at the Maple Leaf.
  • Options

I was coming to suggest this! I was so impressed by that place.

In addition to all the fun, divey places, we loved Emeril's restaurant. They have a stuffed chicken wing (yeah, I said it) and a creme brûlée trio that I don't even want to talk about because they were so delicious.

We had a terrible experience at Galatoire's. We went because we both have an affinity for A Streetcar Named Desire, and it was bad. Like, "where is Gordon Ramsey to come in yelling at people" bad. And expensive. We were less than pleased.

ETA: Emeril has three restaurants in New Orleans. I'm 90% sure we went to NOLA.

Yes, NOLA has the stuffed chicken wing. It's pretty damn tasty too.

Jacques-IMO's on Oak is good too.   

NOLA has something like 1300 restaurants.  You will not be able to hit all the good ones in 3 days  :(

• Options

Ooh thanks guys! Tbh I'm a bit on the fence about a WW2 museum, but I will look into it.

There are a ton of restaurants I want to goto but won't be able to =( I will check out these and the other thread, thank you!

• Options

The Presbytere had an AMAZING exhibit on hurricane katrina. It was the whole first floor and had a lot of first hand accounts and videos, so we spent a big chunk of time there.

• Options
    You must try the grilled shrimp po-boy and frozen Irish coffee from Killer Po-Boys in the back if the Erin Rose (dive bar) on Conti btw Bourbon & Dauphine. It is the most delicious sandwich in New Orleans IMO.

Lilette on Magazine is another favorite.

All other suggestions have been great.
  • Options
    Willy Mae's Scotch House & McHardy's have the best fried chicken.

Try to go out on Frenchmen St. to hear music.

Bourbon St. in the Lower Quarter (closer to Esplanade) has some great bars. It's the gay part of town & the bars are awesome & less touristy. Good Friends is one of our favorites.

Casamento's is awesome for oysters but they are only open in season.

The French 75 at Arnaud's bar of the same name is exquisite. The bartender, Chris, is famous. There is a "secret" Mardi Gras museum upstairs open all the time and you can go up to see costumes from the 30s & 40s.

My favorite martini is at the Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone.

May Bayley's at the Dauphine hotel has a courtyard pool you can stick your feet in while sipping your cocktail.

I could go on but I gotta go - boarding doors closing & I'm flying to New Orleans right now to get hitched!
  • Options
    Thank you very much! Have fun :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards