Wedding Party
Options

Bridal Party Gifts

I am a little lost on the idea of gifts to get, who gets gifts, what to get, etc. Any help on any of these questions would be beyond helpful.

1. For the MOH, BM, Best Man and Groomsmen - do they all have to get the same thing? Or do you get them all the same gift and something more personal? As a 9x bridesmaid, I have always been given something to wear at the wedding, like jewelry or a purse (and the whole party got the same), but it seems that has changed.

2. Parents gifts - what is the guideline on this. It is only my parent's involved and they are paying for the wedding. What is appropriate? When do you give it?

3. Speaker - Would I get her something? It's my sis-in-law to be.

4. Ushers - do you give them the same as the groomsman?

So sorry for all the questions! I am really lost on this topic. What is appropriate, what is expected, etc.

thanks in advance!!

Re: Bridal Party Gifts

• Options
    lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I can only answer for bridesmaids/MOH, groomsmen/best Man. (Not having ushers or speakers, not having  parents gifts) Get them something they like. Shop like you're shopping for their birthday. Get a book for the book lover, birchbox/ipsy subscription for the makeup addict, bourbon for the bourbon drinker etc.

Try and stick to around the same $ amount for each. Football fan doesn't get a pair of $100 tickets if the wine drinker gets a bottle of $10 wine. But if you spend $34.67 on your besties favorite perfume  that doesn't mean the coffee drinker gets a starbucks giftcard for $34.67

You've gotten jewlery that you've been expected to wear at the wedding. Many of us have. But by doing that as your gift it's actually more like a gift to yourself. Same goes for "gifting" them professional hair and makeup artist services the day of your wedding.

• Options

I am a little lost on the idea of gifts to get, who gets gifts, what to get, etc. Any help on any of these questions would be beyond helpful.

1. For the MOH, BM, Best Man and Groomsmen - do they all have to get the same thing? Or do you get them all the same gift and something more personal? As a 9x bridesmaid, I have always been given something to wear at the wedding, like jewelry or a purse (and the whole party got the same), but it seems that has changed.

2. Parents gifts - what is the guideline on this. It is only my parent's involved and they are paying for the wedding. What is appropriate? When do you give it?

3. Speaker - Would I get her something? It's my sis-in-law to be.

4. Ushers - do you give them the same as the groomsman?

So sorry for all the questions! I am really lost on this topic. What is appropriate, what is expected, etc.

thanks in advance!!
    1. Decide on a budgeted amount to spend on each of your bridal party attendants and buy them something they'd like.  See first paragraph of above post for suggestions.

2. Parents's gifts are not given because they paid for the wedding, they're for thanks in raising you and making you the person you are today.  Some people say that the best gift is a nice note and maybe a photo in a frame or an album of your wedding photos.  My sister got my mom a gold knot necklace for "helping them tie the knot", cheesy but it's a cute casual necklace.

3.  Is speaker the same as reader?  I didn't get anything when I was a reader at my cousin's wedding.  But I got to go to the rehearsal dinner, so that was awesome.

4. Ushers should get the same thing as groomsmen since that's what they basically are.  If they don't have to get special clothing, maybe something a little smaller would do.
  • Options

1. For the MOH, BM, Best Man and Groomsmen - do they all have to get the same thing? Or do you get them all the same gift and something more personal? As a 9x bridesmaid, I have always been given something to wear at the wedding, like jewelry or a purse (and the whole party got the same), but it seems that has changed. I would get them each unique gifts. If they are close enough to you to stand up at your wedding, you probably know them well enough to give them a non-generic gift.

2. Parents gifts - what is the guideline on this. It is only my parent's involved and they are paying for the wedding. What is appropriate? When do you give it? We gave parent gifts, but they're not required. We gave them each the same custom picture frame and filled it with a family wedding photo after the wedding. We gave them the frame at the RD.

3. Speaker - Would I get her something? It's my sis-in-law to be. I would. She should also be invited to the RD.

4. Ushers - do you give them the same as the groomsman? I would just get them individual gifts as well. We gave these at the RD along with BM/GM gifts and parent gifts.

thanks in advance!!
    See advice above in pink.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

1. For the MOH, BM, Best Man and Groomsmen - do they all have to get the same thing? Or do you get them all the same gift and something more personal? As a 9x bridesmaid, I have always been given something to wear at the wedding, like jewelry or a purse (and the whole party got the same), but it seems that has changed. For my bridesmaids, I put together gift baskets with a whole bunch of stuff - wine, jewellery, tea, coffee, pashminas, homemade soap, etc... they all got the same things, but it was tailored to fit their individual tastes so no one got the exact same thing.  For our ushers/reader, we got them a bottle of their favourite liquor, in a price point that they wouldn't normally buy for themselves.  I don't know what J did for his groomsmen.

2. Parents gifts - what is the guideline on this. It is only my parent's involved and they are paying for the wedding. What is appropriate? When do you give it? I did gift baskets for our parents, too, with coffee, tea, our wedding wine, and homemade soap.  We gave them to them after our rehearsal dinner.

3. Speaker - Would I get her something? It's my sis-in-law to be. Our reader (my brother) got alcohol.  Our musicians (husband and wife) got a 'date night' - gift cards for a restaurant and movie theatre.

4. Ushers - do you give them the same as the groomsman? See above

thanks in advance!!

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Get everyone individual gifts.  They do not all have to be the same.  Decide on a budget per person, and shop for each of your wedding party members within that per person budget.

I'd do the same with your parents, speaker, and ushers.

Don't get anyone something to be used at the wedding.  It takes away from the "gift" aspect of your offering, which should be that it is entirely up to the recipients what they do with the gifts.

• Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I feel good about what direction to go in now. Especially with the girls. Now to just decide :)
  • Options
    As pp said, set a budget for everyone, and shop for what they would want.

For the bridal party I am doing a mix of same/different gifts. I got each of them the same pearl necklace/earring set , which they do not have to wear to the wedding. I thought it was beautiful & classic, and I know it is something all of the girls would love. I'm also giving each of them a gift card tailored to their interests ( my MOH is getting a Vera Bradley gc, a favorite camera store for one BM, favorite restaurant for another, etc). And then I'm going to throw in some candles, candy, little things like that.

We got 6 out of 7 of the groomsmen the same thing - beer of the month subscriptions, because they are all big craft beer drinkers and would love it. And then we got a bacon of the month subscription for the other groomsman. Again, all gifts they would individually love (even if they are the same!)

We're not doing parent gifts, but are planning on giving them albums after the wedding. And we don't have ushers/speakers, but our officiant is one of my best friends so we got him a personalized whiskey decanter.
  • Options
    Thanks! 
  • Options

My wedding is probably a little different from a lot of people on this site. It's going to be held at a Boy Scout camp and have a ton of nerdy little touches while still keeping with the woodsy romance that I have in mind. In keeping with our nerdy touches, I am planning on getting our bridal party Pop figurines made by Funko (http://funko.com/collections/pop). Our bridal party is all fairly nerdy and most already collect them. This way, we can give everyone a fun gift that they'll love and customize it to their tastes. I'm not sure if this helps, but it's what we are doing 

• Options
    groomguy87groomguy87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2015
    I gave my groomsmen a personalized flask and their favorite type of liquor.  My best man doesnt drink so I gave him a framed collage of one of his favorite sports players.  My wife made baskets for her MOH/BM's that included some jewelry, alcohol, etc.

EDIT:  For parents we will likely give them a nice framed photo once our pictures are in.  No speaker gifts or usher gifts for us as the only speaker we had was my father  and we didnt have any ushers.
  • Options
    I really like the advice of other poster's saying to select something as if you were shopping for a birthday gift. You know them well enough to know what they like and what they don't, and this is a great way to approach getting them something.

I also like the suggestions for the parents....I chose a bangle bracelet for my mom to receive before the wedding since she loves bangles but I'm going to get her a framed photo after the wedding as well. My bridesmaids are all getting a necklace that is unique to them (no requests to wear them unless they want to) and we did personalized pocket knives for the guys since they're all big on those. It just happened to work out that all the groomsmen would get the same gift because it's something they'd all like.

I say shop from the heart, whatever you decide to get.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards