Wedding Woes

Family drama--I'm about to turn into Bridezilla!!!

I haven't lived in my home state for years. I have many close friends, most whom I'd consider family, coming to our wedding. Average drive time for majority of these friends is 13 hours. When we started planning the wedding, I informed my father that I would like the extra space at his house to be reserved for our friends from far states since they will be staying for 3-5 days. Well, ever since the wedding invitations officially went out, all my freaking family that lives 3-hours away, started TELLING my dad that they're staying at his house for the night. These are the same family members I bitched about on the Etiquette boards because they made several RUDE comments to my dad and grandmother when they received the wedding invitation, about whether we wanted gifts/money "since we sent a formal invite." I don't even want them there after what they said! So, with the exception of my grandmother (who I want to stay at the house), I'm about to start flipping out on all of them for inviting themselves to stay there, not only putting my siblings out of a room, but now putting our close friends and out-of-state guests out of a place to stay. I told my dad when he explained what was happening that he needed to tell everyone NO---including the ones that have already invited themselves. He thinks that's rude and that we'll "figure something out" or "get hotels." Getting hotel rooms for all our out-of-state guests for the week would cost more than getting a hotel for 1 night for the rich asshole relatives.

Re: Family drama--I'm about to turn into Bridezilla!!!

• The gift thing was because they were bitching that since I sent a formal invitation, I "must be looking for gifts and money." They've known the date for almost 2 years. I sent a formal invitation, because it's a wedding! Of course I"m going to send formal invitations! We own our own home and don't need gifts, but they copped an attitude with my dad, basically saying we were greedy and wanting stuff. No--we don't want ANYTHING other than them to peacefully enjoy the day with us! The ones that were bitching are millionaires. My dad and none of us kids are wealthy, and we live quite humbly and comfortably with our incomes. Everything is about money with them...seriously every single time we're around these particular relatives, every conversation is "I just bought this for $$..." or "Ugh my taxes were more than 5 times your income" (yep--the one actually had the nerve to say that!). The way we see it is that because we're the "less fortunate" side of the family, we must always want something from them! It's so weird....like at Christmas this past year, I made them all these really neat family photography name plaques, which I LOVED, but the same relative that made the comment about taxes said when she opened the present "I'm surprised you could've afforded something like this." REALLY?! Most people would first say something like THANK YOU! haha 

My problem with them staying at the house is that 1-Dad said months ago that the house would be available for our out-of-state friends, and 2-he is not "inviting" them to stay, they've been telling him that they're staying there. He doesn't know how to say NO because he thinks they'll be upset and it'll cause drama. My siblings are irritated because they don't mind giving up their rooms for our friends, but they now have to give up their rooms for bitchy family members. The siblings are the ones that first told me about it. We've had these particular family members stay at the house for holidays, and they complain when my siblings need to go in the room for clothes (and NO it's not when the relative is sleeping or even in the room!). My fiance and I don't even have a place to sleep now.
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    you need jesus and airbnb/vrbo.
  • lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    It's your Dad's house. He pays the mortgage right? It's not yours (to invite your friends), nor your siblings (and if they're young enough to live with parents a night on the couch won't kill them).If he says you get hotels, then get a hotel- do you really want to spend your wedding night with your husband in your childhood bedroom?

• Get a hotel room. Start researching places now. You're getting worked up over a minor issue. Sure, your family may suck, but whatever their income etc is, they're staying with your Dad. Your Dad needs to put his foot down and he hasn't. So get over it. It's his house.

• Why is it ok for you to tell your dad who is staying at his house but not ok for your family members to do the same? Frankly, if I was your dad I would be sending everyone to hotels.com and lock the door!
  • LMFAO @LondonLisa!
    Well because our out-of-state guests (all military getting shit paychecks) are staying for more than just the day, so DAD is the one that suggested that they all stay at the house when we began planning the wedding (which is also at the house). Yesterday he was at one of the relatives' house that invited themselves to stay at his house, and mentioned that our out-of-state guests would be there for several days, and it would be nice if the relative would stay in a hotel since it's only one day, he even told then we'd pay for it, they threw a fit about how they're family and they should stay wherever they want to and our friends can stay elsewhere! So....the plan now is for us and our friends to go to a freaking hotel for the day of the wedding and come back to the house after they all leave the next day.
  • LMFAO @LondonLisa!
    Well because our out-of-state guests (all military getting shit paychecks) are staying for more than just the day, so DAD is the one that suggested that they all stay at the house when we began planning the wedding (which is also at the house). Yesterday he was at one of the relatives' house that invited themselves to stay at his house, and mentioned that our out-of-state guests would be there for several days, and it would be nice if the relative would stay in a hotel since it's only one day, he even told then we'd pay for it, they threw a fit about how they're family and they should stay wherever they want to and our friends can stay elsewhere! So....the plan now is for us and our friends to go to a freaking hotel for the day of the wedding and come back to the house after they all leave the next day.

Who's "we"? Your dad, or you and your fiance? Because your dad shouldn't be saying that you'd be paying for something without your permission. You also shouldn't tell your dad who's staying at his property that he's been paying for. 

I think the best situation is to put everyone in hotels. Get a hotel block. Have your dad not let anyone stay at his house. That's the best possible outcome from this, I believe. That way, your friends are not being favored over relatives, and vice versa. Your relatives won't be able to complain about you having friends stay at your dad's place. And you can keep your hands free from this and not take any blame. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • LMFAO @LondonLisa!

Let's back the truck up on the bolded part.  I was in the military for 26 years, retired as a Senior NCO, not an officer and I was paid quite well.  Now, if you are junior enlisted, E4 and below, no you aren't raking in big bucks but you are working your way up the ladder like the rest of us did.  Can I correctly assume that all these military family members are quite young and early in their careers?  If they are long timers they aren't getting shit paychecks.
  • Contact the hotel for a group rate block for the week (in agreement, it's not up to you to delegate who gets to stay at your Dad's house nor him who you pay for hotels for)...  Many hotels will quote an extended stay rate for a group, you opened yourself up on this one by saying you'd provide a place to stay for these OOT friends.  You don't need to book the Ritz here, do some calling around.  When I was away on work it would range from 50% to 10% of their best available discounted rate. But really, Motel 6, Red Roof, Super 8 - really - a clean comfortable room that isn't going to break anyone's bank!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards