Chit Chat

Time for a partner brag thread!

I've been having some trouble finding a good makeup artist in my area who doesn't cost a fortune... I have a big bridal party who have all pretty much expressed that they want to use whoever I hire for their makeup. The bridesmaid dresses we picked out weren't cheap (and yes, I asked their budgets first) so I feel bad tacking on a pricey makeup artist too for those who want their makeup done. I have already offered to pay for their hair if they want their hair done, which most do. 

Then yesterday I found a great makeup artist for a moderate price--but still far from cheap--and was expressing to my FI that I wanted to book her but felt bad letting the bridal party know about the cost and he said to me "I would really like to pay for all of their makeup; it'll be my gift to your bridesmaids." I refused his offer a bunch of times letting him know exactly how much that would all end up costing him, but he wasn't budging and said that he really wants to do this. So now instead of stressing myself out and dreading telling my bridal party how much makeup will cost them, I'm thrilled to let them know that their hair and makeup will be on my FI and me. It's seriously the least I can do considering how awesome my bridesmaids are (they're all planning my bach party right now and are getting me so excited!), and my FI offering that just made me realize, as I do everyday, how happy I am to be marrying him.

Go ahead, brag about your partner. ;)
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Time for a partner brag thread!

• DH brought me pralines from NOLA, fancy ones - two whole boxes! I'm waiting til my allergies pass so I can fully taste and properly appreciate them :-9
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I got home from work last night but had a paper I needed to write for work. I was exhausted and hungry. I usually always cook supper. I enjoy it. But last night I didn't feel like it. So DH says, I'm cooking fajitas for supper and I'm going to the store for a 12-pack. 

• How incredibly sweet of him!

I've been going through some family stuff over the past week, along with our dog getting attacked, and H has been the best ever throughout all of it. He's let me cry, let me be angry, let me be a slight bit crazy and has just plain been there for me. His birthday was on Monday and I took him away for the weekend (turned out to be very much needed for both of us). He still hasn't stopped telling me how much he loved my gift to him and how much he loved spending all of that time just with me. I'm a very lucky lady to have a husband that shows me how much he loves me every day. 
  • It was our anniversary yesterday and FI is out of town. We aren't huge anniversary people, we usually just make a nicer supper or something, but he still felt bad that he was off enjoying a visit with his parents while I was up here working. So he arranged to have a beautiful bouquet delivered to work, and he also texted to tell me to look in the secret cupboard (Cupboard above the fridge, that's so highup and recessed back that its near impossible for me to get into it without some serious monkey climbing) when I got home, and sure enough there was a bottle of my favorite wine.
  • I'm especially cranky this morning. H just sent me a text telling me he's coming to have a picnic lunch with me because he knows he'll make me smile and all will be well again :) 
  • I'm sick from allergies- hacking cough that makes my rib hurts, nose that won't stop running, etc. I'm a disgusting mess and apparently snoring enough that DH can't sleep.

He spent last night rubbing my back while I coughed. A warm hand on your back when you think your ribs are going to break apart is about the greatest thing ever.

Today is his birthday. We ran late this morning and were fussy with each other since neither of us slept well (we both have allergies that make us snore, my coughing was also bad). Plus, I was super-groggy from meds. I completely forgot to say Happy Birthday, even when he drove me to the train. I feel like an ass. Thinking up ways to make it up to him.
  • My DH got me cheaper car insurance on my new car. I'm pretty damn stoked about it. Not gonna lie.

• I've got nothing.  DH just started back to his 7 day a week job until October.    We are trying to find our new "normal".     

For some reason he thinks that includes me being his dishwasher.    Don't get me wrong, I will wash "his" dishes if we are eating together or even the occasional dish.  But that is not what I'm talking about.  Every fucking day for the last 2 weeks he will eat on his own a leave the dishes for me to take care of.   No, I'm not your maid.  So yesterday he finally noticed the pile of 2 days worth of his dishes to wash.     He finally caught on and washed them.     He doesn't get brownie points for washing his own damn dishes.

Sorry for the rant.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I've got nothing.  DH just started back to his 7 day a week job until October.    We are trying to find our new "normal".     

For some reason he thinks that includes me being his dishwasher.    Don't get me wrong, I will wash "his" dishes if we are eating together or even the occasional dish.  But that is not what I'm talking about.  Every fucking day for the last 2 weeks he will eat on his own a leave the dishes for me to take care of.   No, I'm not your maid.  So yesterday he finally noticed the pile of 2 days worth of his dishes to wash.     He finally caught on and washed them.     He doesn't get brownie points for washing his own damn dishes.

Sorry for the rant.

You sound like DH and me! He spent the last year taking a crazy course schedule while working full time. I understood that I would take on my household responsibilities but it doesn't mean that I became his maid. Dishes became an issue and were made worse by The Kid thinking he could follow his dad's leave. I eventually stopped washing any dishes and waited to see how long it took anyone to notice. After 2 days, DH noticed that I stopped and washed everything. I started washing my own and leaving The Kid's. It took a few more days for The Kid to re-learn that I'm not the maid.
  • lyndausvi said:
    I've got nothing.  DH just started back to his 7 day a week job until October.    We are trying to find our new "normal".     

Sorry for the rant.

You sound like DH and me! He spent the last year taking a crazy course schedule while working full time. I understood that I would take on my household responsibilities but it doesn't mean that I became his maid. Dishes became an issue and were made worse by The Kid thinking he could follow his dad's leave. I eventually stopped washing any dishes and waited to see how long it took anyone to notice. After 2 days, DH noticed that I stopped and washed everything. I started washing my own and leaving The Kid's. It took a few more days for The Kid to re-learn that I'm not the maid.
    YES!

I know I'm taking on my of the household stuff, but I'm not taking on ALL of the stuff.   If you have time to lean, you have time to clean.  In his case leaning is on the sofa watching a movie.

Now I can brag.  DH's new work kitchen is complete.   The club members have so much confidence in him they let him built a completely new kitchen.  There is nothing left of the other one.  Nothing.  He got to design the entire thing and pick out all the equipment.   He made up the largest wish list knowing they would make some cuts.  They didn't make him cut anything.   Not one thing.  I'm so proud of him.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • H listened to my 45 minute emotional breakdown over buying a new car.  2 days later he listened to another breakdown over hanging things on the wall.  Through both, he was very understanding and caring.  I'm so grateful to have someone who doesn't get frustrated at my swings of emotions.  :)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I like reading all of these nice things! I got to spend a weekend with FI after not seeing him for a month which ROCKED! He woke up early to work the first morning in the hotel and quietly took the dog out for a walk so she wouldn't wake me up and I could sleep in since I was taking the day off. Then on the drive back he was supposed to be working so I was going to drive a lot of it, I suck at staying awake in the car especially since he woke me up at 4:30am to hit the road. He took over driving and shut down his computer so I could nap before I had to get in my car and finish off the other 1/2 of the 12hr drive by myself. It's the little things. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    She is so thoughtful and giving.  The last weekend she was visiting she brought a movie night gift basket that she made with my favourite goodies, a handmade adorable booklet of the movies on the agenda (along with some cute notes), and all inside of a Disney bucket-type thing that I can reuse.  <3:)
  • Last weekend DH drew me up a bubble bath and handed me a glass of wine. He said, "it's the weekend, you should be relaxing". So I went from relaxing on the couch, to relaxing in a nice hot bubble bath. No complaints here.

• lyndausvi said:

Sorry for the rant.
    Household chores are an area for me too that don't get brownie points. YOU live here too dude; you are not a guest. So unlike a lot of women who seem to get turned on when a man does household work, I don't.

Cleaning is part of being a grown up and nothing to do with your sex.

I tell him often that he's not "awesome" for helping around the house- it's expected since he lives there too.

Fiance is usually very good about dishes (I cook so he does dishes) but if he slacks we get to a point where I have nothing to cook with and then he gets his ass in gear because he loves to eat. (We have a small house and basically just have two pots, about 3 pans and bakeware so we go through what we have quickly- there aren't a lot of back-ups due to size restrictions.)
  • I've got nothing.  DH just started back to his 7 day a week job until October.    We are trying to find our new "normal".     

Sorry for the rant.
    Household chores are an area for me too that don't get brownie points. YOU live here too dude; you are not a guest. So unlike a lot of women who seem to get turned on when a man does household work, I don't. Cleaning is part of being a grown up and nothing to do with your sex. I tell him often that he's not "awesome" for helping around the house- it's expected since he lives there too. Fiance is usually very good about dishes (I cook so he does dishes) but if he slacks we get to a point where I have nothing to cook with and then he gets his ass in gear because he loves to eat. (We have a small house and basically just have two pots, about 3 pans and bakeware so we go through what we have quickly- there aren't a lot of back-ups due to size restrictions.)
    yep.

I do not give any brownie points for men (although I've heard some women use the same term) who "babysit" their own kids either.   They are your fucking kids, YOURS ones you choose to have. You are not babysitting them.   You are doing what you are expected to do as the parent.  

• lyndausvi said:

Sorry for the rant.
    Household chores are an area for me too that don't get brownie points. YOU live here too dude; you are not a guest. So unlike a lot of women who seem to get turned on when a man does household work, I don't. Cleaning is part of being a grown up and nothing to do with your sex. I tell him often that he's not "awesome" for helping around the house- it's expected since he lives there too. Fiance is usually very good about dishes (I cook so he does dishes) but if he slacks we get to a point where I have nothing to cook with and then he gets his ass in gear because he loves to eat. (We have a small house and basically just have two pots, about 3 pans and bakeware so we go through what we have quickly- there aren't a lot of back-ups due to size restrictions.)
    yep.

I do not give any brownie points for men (although I've heard some women use the same term) who "babysit" their own kids either.   They are your fucking kids, YOURS ones you choose to have. You are not babysitting them.   You are doing what you are expected to do as the parent.  
    The only brownie points FI gets for household work is the fact that he does ALL of my laundry, doesn't have to do it all and we both just pretty much do whatever needs to be done around the house whenever we notice but I do love this. It's like I have a little laundry fairy that makes it all clean and it just shows up in the closet and dresser all folded and nice.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • As far as brownie points on household chores, I guess DH kind of gets them. Like he vacuumed the house today since he got home early. That is usually my job. We kind of have set chore list that's split pretty equally. Like, if I decided to mow the yard or do the dishes everyday, DH would give me brownie points because those are generally his chores.

• FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    DH started teaching middle school English this year. He's at a school that is pretty low SES and a lot of other problems going on, like an insane amount of mental illness for a middle school. It's rated really low because test scores, but his kids got really high scores, especially for his first year. He also helped his kids do better in science as well because he spent time talking to them about black holes and cool stuff like that. 

The school is split into "houses" and he and the other teachers in his house worked together so well that they spanked everyone else. Who then complain that he doesn't have as many special needs kids as they do, when actually it's the opposite. He is super good at his job. He's that teacher that the kids like and trust but still respect and try really hard for. 
  • Super proud of FI. He's graduating tonight from his Citizen's Police Academy, which he did with a reporter as part of a sweeps story for his TV station. So he was getting paid, but it was still a big deal and he and the reporter put together a great story that they're going to submit for a local Emmy.

As far as bragging about things he's done for me, um, last weekend he was super nice and gracious host to my friend who was visiting, despite the fact that being in close quarters with strangers makes him really anxious. And just in general he's very sweet, helpful, and appreciative. Love my guy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards