Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Bridesmaid dress color help

Hello. I am getting married in my church in Denver late in February of 2016. Our reception will be at a restaurant downtown. I've attached a photo of the flowers I'm currently loving but I need help deciding on the bridesmaid dresses. 

I truly can't decide. I'm wearing a taffeta and tulle ballgown, he'll be in a black suit. Our wedding is at 4pm. If I go with gray, the girls can rent their dresses (huge plus). 

Which do you like better.....slate gray or pool blue? And why?

Re: Bridesmaid dress color help

• Options
    What do your girls think?  

The only down side I see about renting dresses is that you can't alter them and not every one is made to fit perfectly into a dress.

Why not just have them wear black dresses?  This way the bouquets will really pop against the black and then they can buy a dress that they could wear again and again and again.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    FI doesn't want black dresses, so that is out. Thanks for the suggestion though, as that's the first color I wanted as well. 

My girls, when asked, suggested other colors besides these two...and I don't care for their suggestions. Some want to rent, some want to buy, etc. I can't really get a consensus from them where they agree on everything. 

The rentals have elastic at the back, are a flattering A line cut, you are sent two sizes, and three of my four girls are tall and thin so they look good in everything. The long dresses come in two different lengths depending on your height and I'm actually trying to avoid having them pay for alternations, especially on a dress that they will never wear again (like the blue dress). 

I'm stuck between these two colors and I just don't know what will look best!
  • Options

You could do both. Have you MOH in the blue and the BMs in the grey. Personally, if you want one color though, I like the blue better.

• Options
    Thanks Beth! That's a great suggestion (I thought about two in each color), but I don't have a MOH, just four BMs. I don't have just one girl I'm closest with. I'll either go alphabetically or in height order on my big day, and the friend I've known the longest will sign the marriage license (though Colorado is a self-solemnizing state so I'm not sure I need anyone to sign). 
  • Options
    I like the blue dress better with the flowers--the flowers will accent the dresses, whereas the grey is just a background for the flowers. But the grey dresses are still lovely and saving money is awesome. 

I'd ask your bridesmaids which they'd rather do before making the final call. I know I'm trying to save mine some money by leaning toward dresses they'll be likely to wear again, but they keep insisting they will try on pink dresses because they know I'll like them better.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So your bridesmaids don't really want either color? Why does your FI get to veto black dresses when they're your bridesmaids? What effect is it going to have on FI if they wear black?
  • Options
    FI doesn't want black dresses, so that is out. Thanks for the suggestion though, as that's the first color I wanted as well. 

My girls, when asked, suggested other colors besides these two...and I don't care for their suggestions. Some want to rent, some want to buy, etc. I can't really get a consensus from them where they agree on everything. 

The rentals have elastic at the back, are a flattering A line cut, you are sent two sizes, and three of my four girls are tall and thin so they look good in everything. The long dresses come in two different lengths depending on your height and I'm actually trying to avoid having them pay for alternations, especially on a dress that they will never wear again (like the blue dress). 

I'm sorry, but what?  Your FI is not the one having to wear the damn dress or pay for them.  Also this is your side of the wedding party so you and your BMs should be the one's to decide what they wear. Not your FI.

And if your BMs are not a fan of either color and you preferred black to begin I would be saying "sorry FI but they are wearing black."

• Options
    I really like the slate gray and think bright colored flowers will look amazing with those dresses.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FWIW, I'm getting married next month and my girls are wearing pool blue dresses. I've picked a similar color scheme to the one pictured above as well. 

I like one of the PPs idea about having two in each color! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry, but I just don't get the grey trend. Grey bridesmaid dresses always look a little sad and kind of "blah" IMO.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    So your bridesmaids don't really want either color? Why does your FI get to veto black dresses when they're your bridesmaids? What effect is it going to have on FI if they wear black?
    Well, it's his wedding too. So if he doesn't like the look of the girls in black dresses in the photos that we will have for the rest of our lives, them I'm not doing to say "too damn bad, I'm doing what I want". What a brat I'd be to do that to him. 
  • Options

I'm sorry, but what?  Your FI is not the one having to wear the damn dress or pay for them.  Also this is your side of the wedding party so you and your BMs should be the one's to decide what they wear. Not your FI.

And if your BMs are not a fan of either color and you preferred black to begin I would be saying "sorry FI but they are wearing black."
    I've been in many weddings and not once was asked "what would you like to wear?" I've worn some pretty terrible colors!  But it was what the bride wanted to I smiled and said "great, how do I order the dress?" 

Yes, this is my side of the wedding party. But if FI doesn't want black, I'm certainly not going to throw a fit and demand black. There's a whole lot of colors out there that aren't black that we'd both be happy with. 
  • Options
    mj8215mj8215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    You don't care for their suggestions?? Ouch. I'm sorry but I really do not understand that attitude so I can't help you. I can tell you what I'm doing (but you probably won't like it): I told my girls they can wear any blue dress they'd like that they think will match the formality of the venue, and that they feel fabulous in. I just don't see the appeal of potentially making your dearest friends unhappy. but maybe I'm missing something here.
    - The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
  • Options

I've been in many weddings and not once was asked "what would you like to wear?" I've worn some pretty terrible colors!  But it was what the bride wanted to I smiled and said "great, how do I order the dress?" 

Yes, this is my side of the wedding party. But if FI doesn't want black, I'm certainly not going to throw a fit and demand black. There's a whole lot of colors out there that aren't black that we'd both be happy with. 
    I just don't get how he is okay with grey but not black?  I also don't get how he is fine with him wearing black but not the BMs?  I actually don't understand why he cares so much.  They are just BM dresses and if he looks back on wedding pictures and the only thing he can think of is how much he hates the BM dress color then there is something wrong.  

Honestly, I would not put my BMs into a dress or color that they do not like.  I would want my BMs to be happy and comfortable and feel pretty in their dress.  Not wear something that they hate just because it meets your wedding vision.

• Options

becomingmcclain,

I am in a similar predicament as you! My colors are pretty bold (see picture from pinterest below) so I am leaning towards more neutral for the bridal party. I am personally going with gray for both groomsmen and bridesmaids as well as my fiancé.This has allowed my bridesmaids to really play with our colors and be more creative (fun shoes/jewelry/etc.) plus the colors just really pop!!! That being said, I say gray for your situation. However, it is ultimately your wedding and need to take into consideration all factors!

Good luck on choosing and the rest of your planning!!

• Options
    neekeec11 said:

becomingmcclain,

I am in a similar predicament as you! My colors are pretty bold (see picture from pinterest below) so I am leaning towards more neutral for the bridal party. I am personally going with gray for both groomsmen and bridesmaids as well as my fiancé.This has allowed my bridesmaids to really play with our colors and be more creative (fun shoes/jewelry/etc.) plus the colors just really pop!!! That being said, I say gray for your situation. However, it is ultimately your wedding and need to take into consideration all factors!

Good luck on choosing and the rest of your planning!!

This is one of my inspiration photos as well! It's such a fun color palate, but it does make the bridesmaids dresses tricky. My girls all seem to like the gray dresses, at least that's what they've all commented on in the Weddington Way showroom I set up. Good point with the fun jewelry and shoes as well. 

Very helpful, thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think gray, as more people can pull it off. Plus, it seems more seasonal. 
  • Options
    If they all seem to like the grey dresses, and the grey dresses are cheaper, get the grey dresses.

When I suggested asking the bridesmaids, I did not mean you should ask them for ideas, although I'm sure they have many. I meant you should ask them which they preferred of the two, and if they could afford both options. You might get lucky and find something that is everyone's favorite, but something everyone at least kind of likes is still pretty good, and you've already found that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If they all seem to like the grey dresses, and the grey dresses are cheaper, get the grey dresses.

When I suggested asking the bridesmaids, I did not mean you should ask them for ideas, although I'm sure they have many. I meant you should ask them which they preferred of the two, and if they could afford both options. You might get lucky and find something that is everyone's favorite, but something everyone at least kind of likes is still pretty good, and you've already found that.
    That makes sense, thanks. There are two sources for the gray dresses so I need to decide if I'd like them all to match or not. If I'd like them to match, I'll probably go with the rental company since you can buy a dress and have it tailored if you'd like. If we even go with gray. 

More people actually like the gray than I thought, so that's good. 
  • Options
    mj8215 said:
    You don't care for their suggestions?? Ouch. I'm sorry but I really do not understand that attitude so I can't help you. I can tell you what I'm doing (but you probably won't like it): I told my girls they can wear any blue dress they'd like that they think will match the formality of the venue, and that they feel fabulous in. I just don't see the appeal of potentially making your dearest friends unhappy. but maybe I'm missing something here.
    Yes, that is correct. I asked "hey guys, here are the flowers and the invitations I like, what colors do you think would go well with them?" And one came back with bright pink, the other with red. I don't care for either of those colors, which I hardly think makes me a terrible person. Gray wasn't even on the table at the time, that was later suggested to me by the wedding planner. I didn't once say I was making anyone wear a dress they hated nor did I say anyone was unhappy. I simply said that I asked for suggestions and they offered colors that I do not care for. 

I'm a little worried that the pool blue will look out of place in Denver in February. San Diego (where we live) YES. Denver, I'm unsure about. That's why I came here for opinions. 

I do like your idea of having the girls in all different shades of a color and I'm sure it will look beautiful for your wedding. My girls will, at the very least, be picking out a style they like best. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards