Wedding Reception Forum
Options

What Size Dance Floor is Best?

I'm planning on about 115-120 guests and the venue we really love has a dance floor that is 16x16 feet. Is that big enough?

I dont want everyone to be crowded and falling off the dance floor.

Re: What Size Dance Floor is Best?

• Options
    Do you have a lot of dancers in the family? If so, I'd go with a few more feet. If it's just an average crowd, I think 16x16 will work nicely.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I have a very small family so about 60% of the guest list will be friends ages 28-35 who like to have a good time. My fiances side of the guests is mostly family because he has a large family. And then you add in coworkers on both our sides who are almost all over the age of 50. But I remember them liking to dance at his sisters wedding...I think! It was years ago.

I wondered if anyone had a similar situation. I love this venue and would hate to leave it because of the dance floor but I want everyone to have a good time!
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    16x16 should be fine.

The formulas I've seen say you want a dance floor for about 50% of the couples and you need to give them 9 square feet.    

If you have 120 people that is 60 couples.  50% of that is 30.   16x16 = 256 sq ft.   256/9 = just over 28 couples.  Which is in your range.

Nothing like doing math during happy hour..

ETA - DH and I are older and we have family who are over 60.  Trust me they were all on the floor.  The 70 and 80 year olds spent a lot of time dancing.  My sil is 28 had quite of few people over 50 at year wedding (mostly family).  The floor was packed with us old folks.  I would not use age as a guide on who dances or not..

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Oh I wasn't using age as a determining factor which is why I mentioned at the end of my last comment that I remember the "older" crowd liked dancing too! I just like to give all the details. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards