Wedding Woes

It's slow and I lack motivation, so...

VarunaTTVarunaTT member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited May 2015 in Wedding Woes
Where do you all fall in the 2 vs. 1 "spaces after period" debate?

It's slow and I lack motivation, so... 29 votes

One space
48% 14 votes
Two Space
51% 15 votes

Re: It's slow and I lack motivation, so...

• *waiting for @hmonkey's comment on 1 vs. 2 space.  Will she call them heathens?  Or progressive?  Wandering, er...wondering minds want to know*
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2015
    WHO SAID TWO SPACES

I WANT NAMES
  • Doesn't @baconsmom have a one space stance?
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I'm a two spacer. This is the way I was taught and I really doubt I will change at this point. I even catch myself doing it in text messages.
  • AF, that's what I was telling someone.  I type 90wpm at this point; having to relearn a pattern is going to slow me way down and take a long time to break.  If it ever makes it way into the actual business world, I'll be better off just doing the Ctrl+H trick to find and replace.
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    i was 2 space; now i am 1.

change is possible, but it must come from within, af.
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited May 2015
    I feel like HMO must've just had her Chang moment. IDK why the time signature won't pick up, but it's at :44seconds.

• loufusloufus member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    I'm a two spacer.  I do it in texts, too, because it automatically adds a period for me when I double space.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I completely understand why 1 space is the new norm.
    but you can have my second space when you pry the spacebar from under my cold dead right thumb. 
  • GBCKGBCK member
    (to be fair though, people continually comment on how LOUD I type; side effect from learning on typewriters.  I've gotten better, but since I still think there should be a plus sign on mu home-row-right pinky, I think I'm immune to fully embracing these newfangled computer contraptions and their new typing rules.)
  • I am a journalist. In our community it is one space after a period. Those two-spacers have wasted hours of my time during layout and editing.

• hmonkeyhmonkey member
    I am a journalist. In our community it is one space after a period. Those two-spacers have wasted hours of my time during layout and editing.
    you should use find and replace, yo.
  • Doesn't @baconsmom have a one space stance?
    Yes I fucking do, and so does everyone everywhere who has a lick of sense. You two-spacers are ridiculous. Do you not see how stupid it looks?! 

Plus - and I know this doesn't apply to most of you - it's a basic formatting requirement to look like a professional writer. Times or Courier, 12 point, SINGLE SPACES AFTER PERIODS. 
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    baconsmom said:

Doesn't @baconsmom have a one space stance?

Yes I fucking do, and so does everyone everywhere who has a lick of sense. You two-spacers are ridiculous. Do you not see how stupid it looks?! 

Plus - and I know this doesn't apply to most of you - it's a basic formatting requirement to look like a professional writer. Times or Courier, 12 point, SINGLE SPACES AFTER PERIODS. 

I'm not doing anything important enough to even care this much, TBH. And, no. I don't see how stupid it looks. I don't notice it at all.
    I get it, though. If you're a professional writer, an editor, whatever, then you should follow standard rules. But little ol' me? Nobody cares.
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited May 2015
    I think the one space looks odd, TBH.

If you're doing something that is going into graphic design/formatting I get it (somewhat, it never seem to screw w/the amateur graphic work I do).  but for the rest of the GODDAMN 90% OF THE WORLD WHO IT DOESN'T APPLY TO, GTF OVER IT FOR US THANKS

• baconsmom said:
    Doesn't @baconsmom have a one space stance?

I love you. Yes, yes, yes, yes.

@hmonkey-- I would have if I could have. The software I used to edit didn't have that feature and I wasn't allowed to download other word processing software because, well, government.

• hmonkeyhmonkey member
    The software I used to edit didn't have that feature 
  • GBCKGBCK member
    AuntFlo said:
    I'm a two spacer. This is the way I was taught and I really doubt I will change at this point. I even catch myself doing it in text messages.
    Also a problem when I use the twitter.
    On the plus side, when I"m 5 characters over, i can usually adjust and make it fit in 144 :-P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards