Wedding Woes
Options

Friends turned in-laws

edited June 2015 in Wedding Woes

I met my fiancé through his sister-in-law, who was a good friend of mine. She thought that my fiancé and I would be a perfect match but was also nervous that if things didn't work out between us, this could be problematic, as she felt our friendship would be a constant in her life. Things DID work out though... and I could tell early on that my fiancé was the one for me.

My fiancé and his brother (SIL/friend's husband) had their issues growing up, and when my fiancé and I started dating, my future brother-in-law even told me that I must not know my fiancé well if I thought I would want to marry him one day. My fiancé had no interest in directly addressing any of the tension that seemed to still exist between the two of them but they actually engage in almost daily contact now, so it seemed as though their relationship had improved. 

When my fiancé and I first got engaged, my fiancé asked his brother to be his Best Man and my friend/future SIL was an obvious choice for a bridesmaid. However, I have since had major second thoughts about this. Rather than getting closer, we have grown further apart as we approach officially becoming family. She declines invites to spend time with me and essentially never extends an invite the other way, except for forced family time. I get a total weird vibe from her but she denies anything being up when I try to discuss how I feel. I suspect that my future BIL may still be harboring feelings about my fiancé but I don't feel it's my place to say something to him. What do I do? I'm completely anxious over this and would value feedback from fellow brides. My fiancé won't talk to his brother about any of this.

Re: Friends turned in-laws

• Options

Pretty much.

• Options
    Ha thanks.
  • Options

I met my fiancé through his sister-in-law, who was a good friend of mine. She thought that my fiancé and I would be a perfect match but was also nervous that if things didn't work out between us, this could be problematic, as she felt our friendship would be a constant in her life. Things DID work out though... and I could tell early on that my fiancé was the one for me.

My fiancé and his brother (SIL/friend's husband) had their issues growing up, and when my fiancé and I started dating, my future brother-in-law even told me that I must not know my fiancé well if I thought I would want to marry him one day. My fiancé had no interest in directly addressing any of the tension that seemed to still exist between the two of them but they actually engage in almost daily contact now, so it seemed as though their relationship had improved. 

When my fiancé and I first got engaged, my fiancé asked his brother to be his Best Man and my friend/future SIL was an obvious choice for a bridesmaid. However, I have since had major second thoughts about this. Rather than getting closer, we have grown further apart as we approach officially becoming family. She declines invites to spend time with me and essentially never extends an invite the other way, except for forced family time. I get a total weird vibe from her but she denies anything being up when I try to discuss how I feel. I suspect that my future BIL may still be harboring feelings about my fiancé but I don't feel it's my place to say something to him. What do I do? I'm completely anxious over this and would value feedback from fellow brides. My fiancé won't talk to his brother about any of this.

Honestly, what do you expect from your SIL? Did you ask her to be a bridesmaid? 

If you keep asking her what's wrong and she tells you nothing, you can't fix something that someone won't acknowledge. And she's not acknowledging it. And no, it's not your place to say anything. Stay out of it. You are borrowing trouble here. 

• Options
    Came for the DD
  • Options
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Came for the DD

I don't understand what you mean by this or how this is supposed to be helpful.
  • Options
    MadHops21 said:

• Options
    Came for the DD

You did a DD (dirty delete). Basically, you sent out the Bat Signal that you are an SS. If you actually wanted help and advice, you wouldn't delete your post. It's considered rude.
  • Options
    I'm confused. Did you actually ask your FSIL to be a BM? 

If so, it sounds like you are considering kicking her out. Kicking her out will only further escalate tension. Just take the relationship for what it is and move on with your planning. The only difference between having her as a BM and having her a guest is that she stands at the front as you get married. It's not that big of a difference, so don't read into it more than necessary.

*********************************************************************************

• Options
    Came for the DD

You did a DD (dirty delete). Basically, you sent out the Bat Signal that you are an SS. If you actually wanted help and advice, you wouldn't delete your post. It's considered rude.
    SS? 

I got the helpful feedback that I was making a mountain out of a molehill from an objective party. Laughed at myself. Said thanks. Felt silly for posting and wanted to take the post down.
    I'm confused. Did you actually ask your FSIL to be a BM? 

If so, it sounds like you are considering kicking her out. Kicking her out will only further escalate tension. Just take the relationship for what it is and move on with your planning. The only difference between having her as a BM and having her a guest is that she stands at the front as you get married. It's not that big of a difference, so don't read into it more than necessary.

Thank you. Helpful.

• Options
    btw, stay out of the relationship between your fi and his brother. 
  • Options
    You were quoted, your post will never be deleted. There's nothing you can do to delete it yourself since you were quoted. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards