Nevada-Las Vegas

Uk bride question...... Any documents needed for wedding in Vegas from uk?

Hello fellow knotties,

Just a question for any uk brides....... Obviously we need to get a wedding certificate when we get to vegas but do I need to do anything in the uk before we leave or once we are back. I've looked on the Internet but just wanting to check!

Thank you so much in advance xx

Re: Uk bride question...... Any documents needed for wedding in Vegas from uk?

• I'm following this as well because I am so confused! Some people say you just get married and that's that some people have said you need an apostille.
    I dont think the UK allows you to deposit your wedding certificate with the UK registry anymore (which is only an issue if someone is searching for information ie for a family tree, but if they know you got married in vegas then the record is there instead) if that makes sense. Anyone who can help more though would be great
  • That is what I am confused with this apostille? I just assumed you got a marriage certificate and that was it?

As you say if anyone else can help it would be appreciated.
  • As far as I can tell you get the marriage licence first, which you can pre-apply for online. Then after the wedding the officiant has 10 days to register the marriage with the courthouse. After this time (when we're probably back home) we can apply online for a certified copy of the marriage certificate to be sent in the post.

The certified copy is (probably - can't find out anywhere for sure because the gov.uk website is rubbish) what is needed for official purposes. I can't find any reference to needing an apostille on any official UK website.

Hoping that someone else can say for certain.
  • I'm confused too, I'm going to call my local registry office to see if there's anything we need to do this end
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's a good idea someone somewhere should be able to help. The Internet is so bad for giving information on it.
  • @laurenlozzy would you mind posting on here what they say?
  • Sorry it's been so long can never get through to registry office!!

I have just spoken to our local registry office and there is nothing to do over this end beforehand or after. The lady just advised me to take original copies of everything with you- no photocopies.

Does anyone know if you can obtain the original marriage certificate once your back home ? Or is it just copies?

Thanks and hope this helps you all xx
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks Lauren! I have read you do just get a copy, not the original, it may have been wrong though.

We wanted to pick ours up when we went back to Vegas for 1 night after our Hawaii honeymoon but I don't think you can do that either, does anyone know for definite? I wanted it to change my passport name ASAP as I wanted to book our next holiday in April 2016 in my married name!

What are you ladies taking with you to the marriage bureau - is just your passport enough?

Thanks all :)
  • They do just give you a "souvenir" copy. You can pick up the original but only when it is available and after you have ordered it online. Ours was ready like 15 days after our wedding. 

I took my driver's license so a passport is just fine as well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you :)

Is that 15 days from ordering it online or do you have to wait 15 days after to even order? We are in the US for another 3 weeks after our wedding and going back to Vegas for our last night before flying home so I am wondering if I would have time to pick up the original up....
  • It is 15 days after the officiant submits the docs. I don't know if that is the norm timeframe but that was the case for us. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh great thank you :) I am hoping with another 3 weeks in the US before we get back to Vegas should give us enough time then!
  • Hi, anyone else having trouble filling in the pre application form on line? Could just be my laptop but it won't let me fill everything in!  TIA

• I have heard that you need to use an older version of internet explorer. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • any suggestions as to how to do that?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

• I had to use my work computer as I have a Mac. I have also seen others go to the library or use a family members computer. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I couldn't find an old computer so we just filled the forms in when we got there, there was no queue so we were in and out of there in about 20 min.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards