Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Mother/Son and Father/Daughter Dance replacement?

To prevent typing a long story, my FMIL is in a wheelchair due to a medical accident and FH seems to be a little touchy at the mention of parent/child dances. I'm okay with forgoing the father/daughter dance to prevent him from getting upset about not being able to experience a mother/son dance. My question is if anyone has suggestions of something to replace the dances with? Or should we just forgo the parent dances? Thanks!

Re: Mother/Son and Father/Daughter Dance replacement?

• Options
    Your instinct to forgo is a good one, and you're thoughtful to consider skipping the formal father/daughter dance to not to draw attention to a lack of mother son dance.  

However, deep down, if a dance with your dad (and him with you) is important, just make sure that sometime during the reception a song you both like is played during dancing, and you find each other and share that time in the general dancing population.  

Same for future mother in law.  Find out a song she likes/loves ... and make sure it's played sometime during dinner or dancing.  You'll all know (and SHE'LL know) it's a special moment for her.   
  • Options
    Has he asked his mom if she wants to dance? Being in a wheelchair doesn't mean she can't; it just means getting creative with how. There's any number of videos on YouTube. PPs suggestion of just having special songs mixed into the reception music is nice as well.
  • Options
    Well....I honestly don't think them dancing with her wheelchair is an option :/ she had a stroke and can only use 1 arm and the wheelchair is a huge bulky electric one. I will still look at the YouTube videos to see how they made that work. I guess I am just looking for a different way for him to share a moment with his mom instead of a dance. The whole situation was was a terrible malpractice ordeal so he is very very touchy about the mention of dancing and I am definitely willing to forgo the father/daughter dance and just dance with my dad later in the evening.
  • Options
    At my daughter's wedding, she danced with her father.  No mother-son dance because the MOG was handicapped, and didn't want the attention.  No big deal.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards