Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding Exit for Afternoon Ceremony/Champagne and Cake Reception

We're getting married in the summer of 2016 and we're planning a short early afternoon wedding ceremony immediately followed by a champagne and cake reception. The reception is in the foyer connected to the room that we'll be having our ceremony, so 0 travel time is involved. The ceremony goes from 1.30pm to 2.00pm and we're hoping to have the reception end by 3.00pm. How should we plan our wedding exit and how do we cue people to start lining up for the exit? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :D

Re: Wedding Exit for Afternoon Ceremony/Champagne and Cake Reception

• I think a one hour reception is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short-even for champagne and cake.

First, I would extend it to at least 4pm, depending on how many people you have there. If you have more than 20, I think you should extend it to 5pm. 

Then, don't even try to "cue people to start lining up for the exit."  Throw your bouquet if you're doing that, dim the lights, or make an announcement that you're leaving.  But nobody wants to line up for that-especially because the time to line people up is at the beginning of the reception, for a receiving line.  If you're not doing that, then visit each table to greet each guest.  But expecting everyone to line up for an exit is AWish.

• We're getting married in the summer of 2016 and we're planning a short early afternoon wedding ceremony immediately followed by a champagne and cake reception. The reception is in the foyer connected to the room that we'll be having our ceremony, so 0 travel time is involved. The ceremony goes from 1.30pm to 2.00pm and we're hoping to have the reception end by 3.00pm. How should we plan our wedding exit and how do we cue people to start lining up for the exit? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :D
    I think grand exits are odd, personally.  You could cue the end of the reception by taking the mic and thanking your guests for coming and their support.

I also agree that an hour for even a cake and punch reception is too short, and I'd extend it to 4:00pm or 4:30pm.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Nix the grand exit.  They are always awkward.

I also agree with PP that you need to extend your reception by at least another hour.  Even if you are only having maybe 20 people, you will still need to take the time to talk to each person and thank them for coming, take pictures and leave a smidge of time to actually take it all in and enjoy yourself.  You will be surprised how fast it will go.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards