April 2012 Weddings

Engagement Party?

If you’re planning on having an engagement party who will be hosting it & how long after your engagement are you having it?

Re: Engagement Party?

• norsernnorsern member
    First Comment
    I'm pretty sure we're not having one.  We got engaged in December 2008 and had originally planned on getting married this October.  Then FI decided he wanted to go back to school so we moved across the country and pushed our date back.
    P1131150
  • We had a surprise engagement party.  We were up at his parents for his birthday and when everyone came over they found out we were engaged. I don't think we would have had on otherwise.  
  • we've just organised to have one; we got engaged end of may and we're having it middle of June. We weren't going to have one but i think the family really want us to - we're having it at my fiance's dad's house as we live in a flat so too small!
  • edited June 2010
    We're having one in November, which is 6 months after the engagement, but 1.5 years before the wedding. I figure, it will be a kick off party to getting wedding planning in motion! Since we're in NYC and all of our family and our entire bridal party is in FL, I really wanted to have something organized to celebrate with them. We're having it at a restaurant and it is just family and bridal party (about 30 people). At this point, I think we're hosting it. His family is very cheap and would NEVER offer to spend a dime and my mother does not know anything about weddings and proper etiquette. She would host it if I asked her to, but how can you ask someone to host a party for you? I have a feeling my mom will be an issue throughout this planning process....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Website
    image 143 Invited
    image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
  • I don't think we are going to have one. We were engaged in December and the date is a decision based on when i graduate from college, so I am pretty busy with school....i am hoping that this fall i can get some stuff going for the wedding planning!

Not only all of this, but i am not really sure how to even go about doing it. does someone throw it for you or do you do it yourself?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had one about a month ago, my parents threw me mine. It was more a Engagement/Graduation party since I graduated college as well...so we made it more of a combined party. We did it pretty informal....cook out at a part kind of thing. Still a lot of fun though.
  • nessalen3nessalen3 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    We just had ours last weekend, on July 17th! My parents hosted it, and it was awesome, a beautiful garden party at their house. We got engaged on May 10, 2010, so we had it 2 months later. We wanted an engagement party, because we're having a destination wedding in the rainforests of Costa Rica and we only want immediate family and our bridal party there with us, so we wanted to include everyone else for an engagement party and AHR after the wedding, so they don't feel excluded.

I understand why some people don't care for engagement parties, but even though mine was a lot of work (all DIY!), it was so worth it to see all our friends and family in one place.

EDIT: Oh, and Hi everyone, I'm new on this board! My name is Vanessa :)
  • We are going to have a small low-key one at the end of October. We will host it ourselves and it will just be primarily family. Neither of our families have really met and we are hoping this will give everyone a chance to get to know one another.
    Photobucket
  • I'm sort of late to this, but I just had mine last weekend, 2 months after getting engaged.  It was nice to have it shortly after so people from our families/different friend circles could meet early on.  My mom threw the party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards