Registry and Gift Forum

I do not want a registry is it ok to ask for gift cards?

My FI and I lived together for a while we do not need a registry full of house stuff.  im having a DW wedding is it ok or proper to say no gifts but gift cards or monetary gifts are appreciated. 

Re: I do not want a registry is it ok to ask for gift cards?

• My FI and I lived together for a while we do not need a registry full of house stuff.  im having a DW wedding is it ok or proper to say no gifts but gift cards or monetary gifts are appreciated. 
    Nope, it's like asking for cash, it's rude. Just don't have a registry or have a small one. 

It's not proper to say anything about gifts on an invitation, but if someone asks, you can tell them that you are saving for ... There should be no expectation of gifts.
  • My FI and I lived together for a while we do not need a registry full of house stuff.  im having a DW wedding is it ok or proper to say no gifts but gift cards or monetary gifts are appreciated. 
    No. It's not. Just don't register. People will get the hint. It is never okay to ask for gifts. At any time. Weddings, birthdays, Christmas... Gifts are gifts - not something to be expected because it's an occasion.

• I don't expect gifts at all but the last thing i want is someone to show up with a blender.  :0/.yea i didnt think it was proper to say but was just checking for ideas.  thanks ladies :0) 

• I don't expect gifts at all but the last thing i want is someone to show up with a blender.  :0/.yea i didnt think it was proper to say but was just checking for ideas.  thanks ladies :0) 

If they come with a blender, they were going to get you a blender no matter what. Some people are just boxed gift givers. My wedding, we had 6 items left on our registry at the wedding date. Yeah, we ended up with like 20 boxed gifts. Mostly stuff off the registry. It was annoying, but those people were obviously going to give something regardless of anything I told them or implied.

Having a DW should help though. "What's easier for the couple to transport?... A blender or a check?" 

If they come with a blender, they were going to get you a blender no matter what. Some people are just boxed gift givers. My wedding, we had 6 items left on our registry at the wedding date. Yeah, we ended up with like 20 boxed gifts. Mostly stuff off the registry. It was annoying, but those people were obviously going to give something regardless of anything I told them or implied.

Having a DW should help though. "What's easier for the couple to transport?... A blender or a check?" 
    I would be blown away if anyone showed up to a DW with a boxed gift like a blender. More likely, if they're going to get you a blender, they'll ship it to you ahead of time. 
    I always think of Father of the Bride from 1992; they never showed Annie having a bridal shower but "lovely silver tea sets" were shipped by the crate to her house! 

Just don't register, and what gifts may come, well yay. 

I would be blown away if anyone showed up to a DW with a boxed gift like a blender. More likely, if they're going to get you a blender, they'll ship it to you ahead of time. 
    I always think of Father of the Bride from 1992; they never showed Annie having a bridal shower but "lovely silver tea sets" were shipped by the crate to her house! 

Just don't register, and what gifts may come, well yay. 

lol what I'm saying is, under normal circumstances, if someone gives you a boxed gift even if you don't have a registry, they were going to give you a boxed gift regardless. But, as in my last sentence, having a DW should help cut down on the boxes.

• It's okay not to register for gifts, but it's not appropriate to ask for gift cards or cash.
  • And if you do get that blender, you should still send a gracious thank you card.
  • adk19 said:
    And if you do get that blender, you should still send a gracious thank you card.
    Also, blenders are handy.  Especially for margaritas. 

• If you already have everything you need, what will you buy with gift cards?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • If you already have everything you need, what will you buy with gift cards?
    Gas, groceries, shoes.  You know, the necessities.
  • Ha! Love the answers and the pictures.. Thank you solo much
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards