Snarky Brides

Hi, I'm new around here

Well sort of. When I got married 10 years ago this board (or whatever name or 2 it was back then) helped keep me sane through the planning process. I'm hoping there are some cool chicks here now too. I'm not sure if I should be frightened or excited to see what the current wedding garbage is now that will make me cringe, but it's sure to be entertaining either way.

I'm Amanda. I'm 35 and getting married on October 1st at a brewery in Austin. I'm planning the wedding from Oklahoma, and am running a bit behind on a few things due to a car accident I had at the end of April. I spent a couple of weeks in the hospital, and then a couple more deciding whether or not to postpone. Once it looked pretty certain that I would be walking again by then we decided to go for it. So the planning is back on (along with efforts towards the walking bit) and I'm just hoping I get all of this crap done. If not, oh well...as long as the honeymoon gets booked on time.

Re: Hi, I'm new around here

• Hi! I love Austin, which brewery did you choose?  We were just there a few weekends ago visiting my best friend and her husband.

Glad you're okay after the car crash, how scary!  Good luck with the rest of your planning, and feel free to just jump in on the boards.  The ladies on here are wonderful, wise, supportive, and hysterical.  And our honeymoon isn't booked yet either... that's making me nervous.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Welcome, @TheCheeseWench! Or rather, welcome back ;-)

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but it sounds like you are making great progress in your recovery - keep it up!

And to both you and @mrsdee15 - DH & I got married last October & didn't book the honeymoon until August. Don't stress thinking you are "behind" - you definitely aren't! You will both be able to find great places to spend the first week or two of married life :-)

• Thanks @mrsdee15 and @Sparklepants41!

I'm not stressing all that much over most of it, it's a damn party and what needs to get done will get done. mrsdee we are going to Jester King. It is a fav of ours and we like to go down for bottle releases (craft beer junkies, we met through beer). We figured with Stanley's Farmhouse Pizza on property it would be simple and low stress. I'm a chef and a food critic, so I eat fussy food for a living. I want to enjoy my friends, not be stuck in my chair through a multi-course I probably won't remember in a year or two anyway.

I am a bit behind on a few things (oh, finalizing wedding party/officiant details) but that has to do with family (his, not mine so I'm trying to keep my patience intact). I'm recovering pretty well considering how bad I managed to smash myself, but really there isn't all that much wedding-wise it is slowing down now since the wedding is out of state anyway. It's the general day-to-day "can't work, can't drive, commuting between 2 cities every week for therapy" that's annoying as Hell, but hey, I'm alive. The boards look pretty much the same. Here are the ugly dresses (some are the same from 10 years ago) and here's the tacky garbage I refuse to have etc... It will help entertain me :)

sparkle did you travel overseas? I know prices increase sooner for international flights, but we have kind of been waiting to see how I recover since what we want to do (Europe) requires a lot of walking. While we don't want to postpone into crappy weather season, I don't want to feel like a total gimp for 2 weeks and not be able to do everything we want to.

• I LOVE Jester King!! Great location, and they have fantastic beers.  We always go when we visit.  That sounds amazing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was there in March for the MvB release @mrsdee15, and we have been watching for info on Atrial. They bottled last week so I'm hoping we can justify a beer trip since we have to go down in advance (within 90 days of the wedding) to get our license anyway since TX has a waiting period. We stay over at Tipping T next door (have the 2 existing cabins rented for the wedding) so we can just walk through the adjoining gate to the site. 10 of our buddies are staying in the bigger cabin next door to ours, so a post-reception bottle share is a given. I figure we've got plenty of nights for H&W "alone time". That is what the HM is for.

Where are you getting married?
  • Thanks @mrsdee15 and @Sparklepants41!

I'm not stressing all that much over most of it, it's a damn party and what needs to get done will get done. mrsdee we are going to Jester King. It is a fav of ours and we like to go down for bottle releases (craft beer junkies, we met through beer). We figured with Stanley's Farmhouse Pizza on property it would be simple and low stress. I'm a chef and a food critic, so I eat fussy food for a living. I want to enjoy my friends, not be stuck in my chair through a multi-course I probably won't remember in a year or two anyway.

I am a bit behind on a few things (oh, finalizing wedding party/officiant details) but that has to do with family (his, not mine so I'm trying to keep my patience intact). I'm recovering pretty well considering how bad I managed to smash myself, but really there isn't all that much wedding-wise it is slowing down now since the wedding is out of state anyway. It's the general day-to-day "can't work, can't drive, commuting between 2 cities every week for therapy" that's annoying as Hell, but hey, I'm alive. The boards look pretty much the same. Here are the ugly dresses (some are the same from 10 years ago) and here's the tacky garbage I refuse to have etc... It will help entertain me :)

sparkle did you travel overseas? I know prices increase sooner for international flights, but we have kind of been waiting to see how I recover since what we want to do (Europe) requires a lot of walking. While we don't want to postpone into crappy weather season, I don't want to feel like a total gimp for 2 weeks and not be able to do everything we want to.

---BOX BOX BOX BOX BOX---

Yes - we went to Aruba, which from where we live in New England is only a 5-hour flight. From what I have seen, and we have been stalking fares so we can go back for our 1st anniversary - is that the prices from US to AUA stay pretty consistent year-round.

Europe sounds like a great honeymoon! But I totally understand your not wanting to miss out on anything due to impaired mobility.

• edited June 2015
    @TheCheeseWenchI was here 10+ years ago planning my first wedding as well. Welcome back! I wonder if you are who I'm thinking you are....

• That's funny @climbingwife ! Who were you and who do you think I am? :)
  • I was here in 2009. Welcome (back)!
  • That's funny @climbingwife ! Who were you and who do you think I am? :)

Were you CheeseMonger?
  • No @climbingwife , but that's funny that there was another snarky cheese lady :) I was *MissMandaPanda I think. I know I was on the WW board before, and whatever it was called before that. I remember they were talking about starting a new board (this one I suppose) for those of us who were not so good at sugar-coating our opinions about dumb teenage brides (no offense to the young girls here, but you know they exist) and ugly/tacky crap. Who were you?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards