Wedding Reception Forum

Outdoor wedding reception July 2 in Ohio

I'm newly engaged, and we are quickly trying to nail down our venues as this will set the tone for everything else (and hopefully give us some breathing room once it's confirmed!). A gorgeous outdoor wedding reception site is available on July 2, 2016 (Fourth of July weekend). Our immediate reaction was excitement and the inclination that this was IT. But we are starting to freak out about weather (as are his parents). Logically, I know we can't spend the next year worrying about the weather or other people's opinions, but we also want to seriously weigh the pros/cons before putting down a deposit.

A tent and fans are available to rent (we would plan for both). I went to a wedding at this exact location in August 2011 and don't remember it being miserably hot, but the retro forecast shows it was a high of 90 then, and an average of 77. I don't remember anyone complaining about the heat, but there was a pop up shower.

Is early July unreasonable for an outdoor reception? Any insight is appreciated!

Re: Outdoor wedding reception July 2 in Ohio

• I don't think early July is unreasonable for an outdoor reception, if there are going to be fans.  I'd also consider having bottled water available for guests to drink during the ceremony as well.

In addition, I'd make sure that you have a Plan B in the event that the weather doesn't allow for an outdoor reception at all.

• I think you'll regret booking this. First, it sounds like it will likely be too hot. Second, you'll worry about it being too hot constantly. Third, holiday weekends generally get a lot of grumbles from guests. Most people aren't all "oh great! A long weekend!" They're like "ugh, we have traditions we'd miss and have to spend our long weekend at this wedding."

There's a reason that date is still available....

If I were you, I'd ask that venue if they have anything in September or early October.
    *********************************************************************************

• I think you'll regret booking this. First, it sounds like it will likely be too hot. Second, you'll worry about it being too hot constantly. Third, holiday weekends generally get a lot of grumbles from guests. Most people aren't all "oh great! A long weekend!" They're like "ugh, we have traditions we'd miss and have to spend our long weekend at this wedding." There's a reason that date is still available.... If I were you, I'd ask that venue if they have anything in September or early October.

I gotta agree. I would search for another date in the fall for that venue or another venue for that date if you must gotta have July 2. Be flexible on your date though if you have no vendors. You might find an even better place but not be able to get "your date".

• I would HATE this.  But obviously I would act happy and comfortable.
  • I live in PA. Right now it's 90 degrees and it's not even July. We've already had about 2 weeks worth of 90 degree weather this year.

I personally would decline an outdoor wedding and reception in Ohio in July, especially 4th of July weekend. Not only do I not want to deal with the heat, but I don't want to deal with holiday traffic.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• This is one of those times where I glad we can say "sorry we have to work that day".

Which is true.   4th of July weekend is the biggest day of the entire year at the club.  All hands on deck, no vacations.  No exceptions.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I live in Ohio, and the idea of an outdoor wedding right now sounds miserable, to be honest! The tent and fans would be helpful, but it's still super humid... I think that coupled with the holiday weekend might be a difficult combo for your guests.
  • I have been to Ohio a few times in the summer and I don't think an outdoor reception will work even if you have fans.   Think of your groom and the layers he will wear.   If he's in a suit or tux, it's an undershirt, dress shirt, vest and then a jacket.   And all of that can be on a day that's easily over 90 degrees.   A fan will only move the air and won't actually cool it.

I know an outdoor event can look lovely but in reality, it takes a combination of too many environmental factors working perfectly to pull them off unless you'er prepared to rent a tent, heaters and/or air conditioners. 
  • I live in Cleveland and if I had to go to an outdoor wedding right now, it would be miserable with weather in the mid 80's and humidity levels at 70% and higher. But there have been summers were it's comfortable. I would opt for a venue where you can have it outside but has an indoor location with Air Conditioning as backup. Also think of this when planning an outdoor wedding in Ohio in July. What attire are you going to have the groom wearing and what kind of dress are you wearing. If he is going to be in a suit or tux and say you are going to be in a satin dress, you will get so hot and sweaty. If you are set on outdoors, make sure to plan accordingly when selecting your dress for something that is light in weight and that you'll stay cool in and the same for the men. You want to stay cool & comfortable so you look great in all your photos, not sweaty, tired and like you just ran a marathon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards