Attire & Accessories Forum

IRL pics of groom in vest/jeans, please?

My fiancé would like to wear a nice pair of jeans for our wedding.  I'm actually considering it.  It's an outdoor wedding, on his farm, and while I realize a tux is more proper attire (as indicated to me in one of my previous posts from the spring that I just read today), I'm not going to make him wear a tux on labor day weekend on a Kentucky farm. 

Also, this is my second marriage, so this time I'm doing what I want and not what my mother wants.  :)

I have purchased Perry Ellis vest in a natural linen color.  I'm not really sure if I want a solid ivory shirt under it or a patterned shirt of some type?  My dress is ivory, my Matron's dress is champayne color and my daughters are wearing ivory also.  There will be lots of flowers to add plenty of color, primarily lavendars and white with a hint of peach mixed in. 

Thanks

Re: IRL pics of groom in vest/jeans, please?

• My fiancé will be wearing dark blue jeans, white shirt and/or dark brown vest and jacket. He will also wear his cowboy boots. He lives in them unless he's working. My second wedding also and we are both in our 50's.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Can you post a pic of your dress? If you're in something more casual, like perhaps a shorter dress, it could work. But if you're wearing a gown it's just not appropriate for the groom to be in jeans. You won't match each other's level of formality.
  • Can you post a pic of your dress? If you're in something more casual, like perhaps a shorter dress, it could work. But if you're wearing a gown it's just not appropriate for the groom to be in jeans. You won't match each other's level of formality.
    I agree.  If you're wearing a formal gown, jeans on your groom will look out of place.
  • There is nothing wrong with jeans for a wedding. The only attire "rule" is that the attire matches the formality of the event. So if you're having a casual wedding on his farm, jeans make sense and a tux would look totally out of place.

I'm also curious about your dress though. You both should match the formality of the event, so in the same way a tux would look odd, so would a satin, beaded ball gown with giant train. KWIM?
    *********************************************************************************

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

My fiancé would like to wear a nice pair of jeans for our wedding.  I'm actually considering it.  It's an outdoor wedding, on his farm, and while I realize a tux is more proper attire (as indicated to me in one of my previous posts from the spring that I just read today), I'm not going to make him wear a tux on labor day weekend on a Kentucky farm. 

Also, this is my second marriage, so this time I'm doing what I want and not what my mother wants.  :)

I have purchased Perry Ellis vest in a natural linen color.  I'm not really sure if I want a solid ivory shirt under it or a patterned shirt of some type?  My dress is ivory, my Matron's dress is champayne color and my daughters are wearing ivory also.  There will be lots of flowers to add plenty of color, primarily lavendars and white with a hint of peach mixed in. 

Thanks

No, I don't believe it would be.  @CMGragain is knowledgeable on that kind of thing.

Ditto PP on asking what you are wearing?  Personally, I am not a fan of jeans at weddings unless both people are dressed that casually and the whole event is very casual.  What colour shirt does he want to wear?
    Below are some pictures like you asked for:

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited June 2015
    Tuxedos are NEVER required attire for a wedding.  They are ONLY proper for formal evening weddings.
    Dark suits are always appropriate for any wedding.  Two piece suits, without the vest, are most comfortable.  The vest is an accessory.  It is not a substitute for a jacket.
    A blazer or sport coat and trousers are fine for a less formal wedding.

Any other attire than the above is non-traditional.  If you want to be non-traditional, that is your choice.  The previous poster is entirely correct.   The formality of the bride's dress helps determine what the men should wear.  All men should wear the same level of formality within the wedding party.  If the groom wears a suit, then so do the groomsmen.  They do not have to match exactly in color.  This also applies to the bride's party.  If you are wearing a tea length sundress, then jeans would be a reasonable (but entirely non-traditional) choice.  If you are wearing a formal, satin gown, they will look out of place next to you.  I think the first two pictures Doeydo posted look OK, but the third and last ones look very odd.

PS.  There is a difference between choosing non-traditional attire and choosing traditional attire worn incorrectly.  Example:  Wearing half a tuxedo, without the jacket.  No.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Here is my dress.  I'm not sure if I'm wearing the belt, and I'm not wearing a veil. 

I found a shirt at Dillards the other day and I think it look nice.  I would prefer a suit, but he never dresses up like that.  He's a full time cattle and row crop farmer.  He wears khaki's and a button down to church.  I think it's asking a lot to put on a suit jacket with pants and LS shirt for a wedding in 95 degree heat. 

IDK.  I just want him to be comfortable but still look nice. 

• Uh...are you having your ceremony outdoors in 95 degree heat? Because that sounds really uncomfortable, no matter what he would be wearing. You could always do a vest, button down and nice slacks, which may match your dress' formality a little better. I think your dress is too formal to pair with jeans.
  • Here is my dress.  I'm not sure if I'm wearing the belt, and I'm not wearing a veil. 

I found a shirt at Dillards the other day and I think it look nice.  I would prefer a suit, but he never dresses up like that.  He's a full time cattle and row crop farmer.  He wears khaki's and a button down to church.  I think it's asking a lot to put on a suit jacket with pants and LS shirt for a wedding in 95 degree heat. 

IDK.  I just want him to be comfortable but still look nice. 

If it's 95 degrees, you need to move it into AC. That's WAY too hot to have an outdoor event. Like way way way too hot. Not even close to the range of OK.
    *********************************************************************************

• 95 is really a stretch. It's a late morning wedding. It'll be about 75 in that time frame, getting hotter as the afternoon goes by, while we are having the reception indoors at the air conditioned country club.
    It's his dream to get married on his farm. It's what he wants and I'm fine with that. I had my big budget dream wedding 10 years ago and it ended in divorce. I've actually enjoyed planning something smaller and low key.
    I asked for pictures of some grooms attires and I appreciate those who shared with me. I really don't care if We don't do everything by the rule book. I just want to marry him.
  • edited June 2015
    SocialButterfly76 said: 95 is really a stretch. It's a late morning wedding. It'll be about 75 in that time frame, getting hotter as the afternoon goes by, while we are having the reception indoors at the air conditioned country club. It's his dream to get married on his farm. It's what he wants and I'm fine with that. I had my big budget dream wedding 10 years ago and it ended in divorce. I've actually enjoyed planning something smaller and low key. I asked for pictures of some grooms attires and I appreciate those who shared with me. I really don't care if We don't do everything by the rule book. I just want to marry him.

*************************imagine a box here***********************************************

That's all good and well, but your prior post said "I think it's asking a lot to put on a suit jacket with pants and LS shirt for a wedding
    in 95 degree heat". 

When you put information out there, people are allowed to comment on it. And people only know what you post. No where did you say it would likely be 20 degrees cooler. (Not sure how the temp suddenly dropped 20 degrees, but whatever....)

You "just want to marry him"? And he only cares about getting married on the farm? Fine. Have a private ceremony on the farm - rain or shine. But once you invite guests, you need to consider their needs too.

• kkcc2015 said:
    Uh...are you having your ceremony outdoors in 95 degree heat? Because that sounds really uncomfortable, no matter what he would be wearing. You could always do a vest, button down and nice slacks, which may match your dress' formality a little better. I think your dress is too formal to pair with jeans.
    The bolded is exactly what I think as well.  Typical wedding dresses never pair well with jeans because you have one person in a formal gown and another in causal attire.  Having him wear slacks would definitely help make the formality of the two outfits match a bit better.

The way it is now it looks like you two are going to two very different events.  It is the same as when I see pictures of people who get married on the beach and the one is in this formal gown and the other is in linen pants/shorts and a Tommy Bahamas shirt.

• www.google.com
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I agree with other posters, it'd look really mismatched and a bit silly if he wore jeans and you wore that dress. To some guests it may look like he doesn't take the event seriously. 

They make REALLY comfy slacks though that pair well with vests, cowboy boots, etc. That may be a better option that jeans, and he can keep the vest, shirt, and boots if he wants them. Heck, he can even throw a cowboy hat on and it'll still look nice. It'd be a great look actually--farmer meets formal. 

And please keep the ceremony short if it will be above 75 degrees, especially if it's sunny. I live in northern VA where they day begins at 85 degrees and humid. I would hate to be stuck outside in this heat for anything longer than 15-20 minutes. Makeup runs, hair goes frizzy, and I get sunburned before 10AM. It's ridiculous, and your guests will not be happy. 
  • If he can wear khakis to church, why can't he wear khakis and a dress shirt to his own wedding?
    edited June 2015
    Sorry.  Awesome is a matter of opinion.
    See that cinch and metal clip on the back of the vests?  That is what your guests will be looking at during your ceremony.  It isn't meant to be seen, because a custom tuxedo (I don't know anyone who has one, but that is the ideal.) has a custom fit vest, not one with a cinch back.  That cinch back is supposed to be covered by the jacket.
    Non traditional clothes worn at a wedding do not bother me.  Jeans - eh, not my thing, but if you really MUST have them, OK.  Traditional clothing worn improperly, which is illustrated in half of those photos, does bother me.  Half a tuxedo?  No.  Jeans worn with a tuxedo vest?  No.
    They will be your wedding pictures.  You get to decide.  If you break the rules, don't be surprised if you regret it twenty years from now when styles have changed.
    Jeans and a clean western style shirt worn with a cowboy hat?  (Not during the ceremony, unless you are Jewish!)  This attire does not bother me, but if you are wearing a formal gown, you will look mismatched.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    edited June 2015
    PS.  One other suggestion - how about a light linen sport jacket instead of a vest?  Vests are close to the body, and are uncomfortably hot to wear.  The jacket, worn without a close fitting vest, would be more comfortable and look more classic.  He could wear it to church later with his khakis, so it would be a good investment.
    I don't get the wedding in 95 degree heat, either.

http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/sports-jacket-with-jeans/

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards