Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

I was a bridesmaid in her wedding; how do I tell her she's not invited to mine?

This is a weird one--a friend from college actually used to date my fiance. (Details of note: 1) I didn't steal him--there was a 3-year gap. 2) They were horrible together, and she verbally abusive toward him, often in public. None of his friends or family can stand her. 3) She has a history of being fairly manipulative with me, and my friends and family aren't fond of her, either.) She and I have been drifting apart for years, and I'd consider us acquaintances now more than friends, but it's been impossible to cut the cord altogether because we still live in the same city and share some mutual friends.

She got married last year. Having few close female friends (and thinking we're closer than we actually are), she asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding. I outright told her I thought it was a bad idea, but she insisted it wasn't and said how much it would mean to her, so I guiltily gave in. My fiance (then boyfriend) was invited to the wedding as my date, and things were awkward but bearable.

Now I'm engaged. My fiance doesn't want her invited to the wedding at all because it would make him very uncomfortable, and his entire family would never shut up about it (mine would gossip a lot, too). I also think I would have trouble actually feeling pure joy in her presence because she stresses me out so much. It just seems like a bad idea all around. But it'd be hard enough telling her she can't be a bridesmaid; how do I tell her she's not welcome at all? I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I need to be frank. I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be, but I'm nervous she's going to absolutely freak out on me.

Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: I was a bridesmaid in her wedding; how do I tell her she's not invited to mine?

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    This is a weird one--a friend from college actually used to date my fiance. (Details of note: 1) I didn't steal him--there was a 3-year gap. 2) They were horrible together, and she verbally abusive toward him, often in public. None of his friends or family can stand her. 3) She has a history of being fairly manipulative with me, and my friends and family aren't fond of her, either.) She and I have been drifting apart for years, and I'd consider us acquaintances now more than friends, but it's been impossible to cut the cord altogether because we still live in the same city and share some mutual friends.

She got married last year. Having few close female friends (and thinking we're closer than we actually are), she asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding. I outright told her I thought it was a bad idea, but she insisted it wasn't and said how much it would mean to her, so I guiltily gave in. My fiance (then boyfriend) was invited to the wedding as my date, and things were awkward but bearable.

Now I'm engaged. My fiance doesn't want her invited to the wedding at all because it would make him very uncomfortable, and his entire family would never shut up about it (mine would gossip a lot, too). I also think I would have trouble actually feeling pure joy in her presence because she stresses me out so much. It just seems like a bad idea all around. But it'd be hard enough telling her she can't be a bridesmaid; how do I tell her she's not welcome at all? I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I need to be frank. I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be, but I'm nervous she's going to absolutely freak out on me.

You don't need to tell her anything. Select your wedding party. Your choices do not need to be broadcast or announced. It would be rude of her to ask. If she does, simply tell her that you and your FI made choices that work best for the pair of you. Use the same discreetness when it comes to sending invitations. As the time nears, if she questions whether she is getting an invitation, be short and simple with your answer. If you are barely friends now, if your friend does freak out, the loss of this friendship does not sound as if it would be tragic.
  • Options
    You don't. You don't need to have an awkward conversation with her to tell she's not invited. You just don't invite her. If she confronts you, then be honest. Life is too short to be friends with people like this. Just because you have mutual friends doesn't mean you need to continue a friendship with a girl you obviously don't like. 
  • Options
    You don't. You don't need to have an awkward conversation with her to tell she's not invited. You just don't invite her. If she confronts you, then be honest. Life is too short to be friends with people like this. Just because you have mutual friends doesn't mean you need to continue a friendship with a girl you obviously don't like. 
    This.

• Options

I would simply not invite her and not discuss the wedding with her.

If she freaks out, isn't that an indication that a friendship with her is not worth maintaining?

• Options
    Just don't invite her.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    You don't tell her. In fact, I would end the friendship completely if I were you.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I get wanting to keep things civil with her because you will run into her around town and have the same circle of friends. But I have to agree, don't send an invite and when she brings it up, because at some point she probably will, be honest. That because of her past with FI that you have both decided it would be ackward to have her there.
  • Options
    Just don't send her an invitation. If she asks why - tell her that  fi is  uncomfortable around her because of past history or you are only inviting your closest friends. That will probably distance her even more, but do you care?

• Options
    Completely agree with this ^.

I recently cut off all contact with my ex best friend. We've been friends for 10 years, best friends for about 5 of those. Drama happened, and so it was in my best interest, well being, and happiness to let go of her friendship. We have tons of mutual friends, but you know what? I don't care. If it's a group gathering, I'm polite, but I want nothing to do with her outside of that particular group thing. Our friends know what happened, and they also know we're adults that will behave in a group setting. So, I advise that you cut that friendship off. It's best for your life in the long run.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

You simply do not invite her.  If she is rude enough to ask, you say "I'm so sorry, but our wedding plans have been in place for some time now, and we won't be making any changes."
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards