Nevada-Las Vegas

Restaurant ides?

Any ideas for somewhere to go for a post wedding meal in Vegas?  Planning on a 3pm civil wedding, then off for a drink to recover from the trauma.  There'll only be four of us, all in our sixties (yup, you read that right) so want somewhere classy but not too expensive.  I've only visited the city once, a good few years ago, stayed 24 hours and I think the only place we ate was the Harley Davidson Cafe.  That might be ok for the Lovely Man and I (we're UK bikers) but can't see our witness & his wife going for that, somehow.

Re: Restaurant ides?

• What kind of price range are you looking at? (in $ or £, whichever's easier)
    Only 'cause one person's "not too expensive" is another person's "OH GOD" and another person's "oh wow that's cheap" ;)
  • Agree on needing a better price range- also what areas are convenient for you?  If you're going to be at Fremont, the Strip, or a bit off the beaten path impacts where I'd recommend.  What kind of food do you guys like?
  • My idea of inexpensive where I live in the UK (in the sticks in the North of England) is around £6 for a starter, £15 for a main course and £6 for dessert (I think the currrent exchange rate is about $1.55 to the £).  That's not to say I wouldn't pay more, I appreciate that Vegas is a city location so I don't expect it to be the same as our local pub grub..

We staying at the Platinum Hotel & Spa, off the strip, and getting married at the Office of Civil Marriages.  And as for type of cuisine: I eat just about anything though I prefer good wholesome food (which is a polite way of saying that I'm greedy) and I'm not impressed with what I'd call 'arty-farty food', my Lovely Man won't eat seafood and my cousin can't abide 'fusion' food.
  • You will love Platinum! Maybe a buffet would be a good option as it could please everyone. Wicked Spoon is great! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A buffet would be a good choice to please everyone and I hear nothing but good things about Wicked Spoon, but also right around you is Mon Ami Gabi (french so a little fancy, but far more laid back than say, Buchon or other formal french places), just as close but on Paradise instead of LV Blvd is Gordon Biersch brewery, and just north on the strip is Yard House at LINQ which has a nice variety of foods, Margaritaville is always fun for people watching though it can be a little louder there, and a bit further up the strip Maggiano's at Fashion Show Mall is nice especially if you get a window table.  Of the ones that have pricing on the menu links they are in USD and should be within or close to if that's the going exchange rate when you're here.
  • edited June 2015
    My idea of inexpensive where I live in the UK (in the sticks in the North of England) is around £6 for a starter, £15 for a main course and £6 for dessert

Just to save a step for the folks posting advice -- based on today's exchange rate (1 GBP = 1.58 USD), that's $9.49 for a starter or dessert, and $23.74 for a main course. That should give you a good range of restaurants to pick from! 

If you and your group would like beef and lots of it, right around the corner from the Platinum is Lawry's The Prime Rib -- I've never been, but I've heard good things, and some folks on here have done their receptions there.
  • Don't forget to add your service charge and tax on though. That's stung me! I'm now automatically adding 30% on (turns out they teach you percentages in school so you can visit the U.S. Lol) that way if I have some left over that's a nice suprise (hopefully that's enough any U.S. People correct me if I'm wrong and need to add more) xx
  • Don't forget to add your service charge and tax on though. That's stung me! I'm now automatically adding 30% on (turns out they teach you percentages in school so you can visit the U.S. Lol) 
    HAHAHA I love it!! Here are some numbers that might be helpful:

Las Vegas sales tax is 8.05%. It applies to everything, except hotel rooms, which are taxed at 11%. Most hotels also have a daily "resort fee" which varies from hotel to hotel (they'll all list it somewhere on the reservations page, it ranges from $15-45).

Catering services (and some other wedding vendors) often tack on a "service fee" which varies wildly from vendor to vendor. It can be a percentage or a flat fee. They often also add a mandatory gratuity (tip) which is usually 15-20%. Most vendors will be up front about this. If they're not, don't hesitate to ask. If you're worried about looking silly, just say you're from the UK and it works differently where you are and you just want to be sure. If people are jerks about THAT then they're not the right vendor, for sure!
  • xoedenxoeden member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Don't forget to add your service charge and tax on though. That's stung me! I'm now automatically adding 30% on (turns out they teach you percentages in school so you can visit the U.S. Lol) 
    HAHAHA I love it!! Here are some numbers that might be helpful:

Las Vegas sales tax is 8.05%. It applies to everything, except hotel rooms, which are taxed at 11%. Most hotels also have a daily "resort fee" which varies from hotel to hotel (they'll all list it somewhere on the reservations page, it ranges from $15-45).

Catering services (and some other wedding vendors) often tack on a "service fee" which varies wildly from vendor to vendor. It can be a percentage or a flat fee. They often also add a mandatory gratuity (tip) which is usually 15-20%. Most vendors will be up front about this. If they're not, don't hesitate to ask. If you're worried about looking silly, just say you're from the UK and it works differently where you are and you just want to be sure. If people are jerks about THAT then they're not the right vendor, for sure!
    Very true! Adding 30% is a good number though, it gives you the chance to ball-park. 8-11% for taxes, 15-20% for service. :) Also gives you bumper for overs and unders.
  • I'm literally an accountant now the amount of maths I'm doing! its a running joke in my family that I have all this maths written next to my menus. I also have to convert it to pounds as well. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards