Michigan-Detroit

guest list advice

I have a huge issue with our guest list. My mom invited a bunch of people and told her my fiancee and i were on a budget and couldnt afford the extra people. She said she would pay for them. We had sent out their save the dates and now my mom cant pay for them. We have no wiggle room in our budget and have no idea what i should do. Tell my mom she has to explain to them on why they cant come now?

Re: guest list advice

• edited April 2015

I have a huge issue with our guest list. My mom invited a bunch of people and told her my fiancee and i were on a budget and couldnt afford the extra people. She said she would pay for them. We had sent out their save the dates and now my mom cant pay for them. We have no wiggle room in our budget and have no idea what i should do. Tell my mom she has to explain to them on why they cant come now?

Did you send STD to everyone on your guest list? Everyone who gets a STD needs to get an invitation. This is why you should not count on others paying until you have the money in the bank. You might need to rework your budget.
  • She need to tell them that you guys changed directions and is having a smaller ceremony.
  • I'm running into something similar but in the earlier stages.  My mom wants us to include all of her cousins because I am including some of them.  the ones I'm including are the ones that invited me to their daughter's wedding.  I really don't see any of them very much.  She's very focused on going to the same level of family but I'm concerned because she won't be giving us any money, our guest list is already out of control, and -not to be callous - but it's more important to me that our friends are there than some family I rarely see.

I don't know how to talk to her about it but it seems like from you experience I just should....  How did it work out for you?
  • That drives me nuts! I am in the midst of experiencing something very similar to this. My MIL wants to invite every second, third, cousin twice removed's uncle. At the end of the day I feel it is YOUR wedding. If it is not in the budget and the parent(s) cannot pay for it then said guests are not coming! What I am realizing is there is life after the wedding. You don't want to go into debt over expenses that you didn't want in the first place. Mom needs to let them know you and your husband have decided to have a smaller wedding so therefore some of the ppl will not be invited.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards