Wedding Invitations & Paper

Who goes on the envelope?

I am not sure who to put on the envelope here: my cousin and her adult daughter live at the same address. The daughter is engaged, but the fiance does not live with them. All three are invited to the wedding so I am unsure of how to address the envelope, who goes where and do I add the fiance as a plus 1, how do I add a plus 1? Advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Who goes on the envelope?

• I am not sure who to put on the envelope here: my cousin and her adult daughter live at the same address. The daughter is engaged, but the fiance does not live with them. All three are invited to the wedding so I am unsure of how to address the envelope, who goes where and do I add the fiance as a plus 1, how do I add a plus 1? Advice is greatly appreciated!
    Yes, the PP is correct.  It seems silly, but you have to mail two invitations to the same address.  Does your cousin have a boyfriend/partner/significant other?  If so, you need to invite him by name.  You find this out by asking her.  If not, you can invite her alone, or you can offer her the option of bringing a friend.  Her daughter and her fiance get their own invitation with both their names listed.
  • PPs are correct. You need two envelopes. You invite the daughter and her FI together (he is not a plus one), and then you invite the cousin on the other, with her s/o if she has one. 

Traditionally you would have had three envelopes and mailed the FI's invitation directly to him, but that's gone by the wayside. It's ok to invite him to his FI's address even though he doesn't live there. 
  • Okay, thank you ladies!

• I have enjoyed getting invitations since we got engaged saying "The Future Mr. & Mrs. John Smith"  Not sure if it correct to do it...but I have always gotten excited having invites addressed to us this way

And yes you need 2 invites one for your cousin and one for the daughter.  It drives me nuts but makes sense so they know exactly who you are inviting.
  • I have enjoyed getting invitations since we got engaged saying "The Future Mr. & Mrs. John Smith"  Not sure if it correct to do it...but I have always gotten excited having invites addressed to us this way

And yes you need 2 invites one for your cousin and one for the daughter.  It drives me nuts but makes sense so they know exactly who you are inviting.
    Then it's the right way to address you, but it would piss me off to no end.  Because I will never be Mrs. John Smith.  Since the rule is to refer to people by their preferred title, this works for you, but not for me.

It isn't correct.  You may enjoy it, but someone who is planning to marry John Smith but not to be "the future Mrs. John Smith" wouldn't.

"The Future Mrs. John Smith" is terrible etiquette.  What if something goes wrong?  What if something happens and you never marry?  Really bad idea.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I think it's super weird to address anything to "the future____."
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards