Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Destination Wedding and First Family Meeting :/

Hello!!
The fiance and I are planning on a destination wedding because we're from different countries, so it means travel for the entire family. However, we're nervous that our families won't really mingle. It'll be the first time they are meeting each other (our parents have met once or twice before) and the native languages of our families is different. We're not too far into planning, but any suggestions on how to make our families mingle? We came up with "People Bingo" but we're not sure too many people would play. Other suggestions?

Re: Destination Wedding and First Family Meeting :/

• Options
    People Bingo?
  • Options
    kvaardam said:
    Hello!!
    The fiance and I are planning on a destination wedding because we're from different countries, so it means travel for the entire family. However, we're nervous that our families won't really mingle. It'll be the first time they are meeting each other (our parents have met once or twice before) and the native languages of our families is different. We're not too far into planning, but any suggestions on how to make our families mingle? We came up with "People Bingo" but we're not sure too many people would play. Other suggestions?
    Nobody likes forced mingling. 

• Options
    My daughters Chinese inlaws had no trouble mingling with our Anglo guests at her wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Our parents met almost for the first time at our wedding.  There were no issues with mingling and DH's parents speak Spanish, French and some English (enough to get by though).  People will make it work without games.  It might even be a little confusing if they haven't heard of it before

• Options
    People Bingo is used a lot as icebreakers, its a grid with like "find someone that...." and different characteristics like "is left handed", "favorite food is pizza", etc. It gets people talking.

And thanks for the input from everyone :) We're just nervous since it is a destination wedding, people will spread out and not mingle at all or divide among family lines. We hope to foster the feeling of one family, but are afraid it won't happen....
  • Options
    kvaardam said:
    People Bingo is used a lot as icebreakers, its a grid with like "find someone that...." and different characteristics like "is left handed", "favorite food is pizza", etc. It gets people talking.

And thanks for the input from everyone :) We're just nervous since it is a destination wedding, people will spread out and not mingle at all or divide among family lines. We hope to foster the feeling of one family, but are afraid it won't happen....
    I wouldn't do this. This is your wedding, not a youth leadership retreat. I know that you want your families to like each other, but forcing them to play games isn't the way to do it. It's only going to make them roll their eyes. They might not say it to your face, but they will talk about it later, and how they couldn't really enjoy themselves because they were having forced, awkward conversations with strangers. 

Just try to ensure everyone has a good time by properly hosting your guests. It'll be better in the long run.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Yeah I agree with the "no games" sentiment. Usually alcohol makes people chatty. Why not have everybody gather for drinks and, as they're all adults, they can meet & mingle on their own?
  • Options
    We had a DW and my parents had only met my FIL.  It was the first time my parents met my MIL and step FIL.  We arranged a a dinner early in the trip with just us, our parents and daughter.  This allowed them to all meet ahead of time.  There were no issues during the pre wedding bbq we hosted or the wedding/reception.
  • Options
    How about "If you could be a sex toy..." getting to know you game? That's always a hit. 

Don't be fooled by the movies. You're not making ONE large family. You and your future spouse are creating a family from two separate families. Would it be nice if your families all braided each other's hair and had wine dates and stuff? Sure. Is it logical? No. People will chat if they want to chat. And they'll be more comfortable if you don't force it upon them.

• Options
    At my sister's wedding, I got to sit at the Brazilian table with my mom's relatives.  Two people at this table spoke little to no English.  By the first round of drinks after dinner, my non-English-speaking uncle was bringing drinks to people who looked thirsty and jesture-talking to them.  By the third song my very American cousin was lifting up my non-English-speaking cousin's girlfriend and twirling her around the dance floor.  If they're social, they be social.  If they're not social, forcing them won't help.
  • Options
    kvaardam said:

Please don't do this. I just got back from a work event that did this. The look of dread and/or annoyance that came over one when they announced it was everywhere. No one really enjoys it. It's awkward. And forces people who may be shy to talk to others in an uncomfortable way.

People will mingle and talk to each other if they're comfortable. Forced mingling is no fun.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards