Chit Chat

UPDATE: PPD Sighting on Road Trip!

edited June 2015 in Chit Chat
DH and I are making the big drive from New Orleans to NYC. It's bittersweet as I'm almost as in love with New Orleans as I am with DH and we have just left our New Orleans home for good. I have been sobbing every night over leaving what I consider my home, even though I love NYC. I will always have "One foot in New York City, ONE FOOT IN THE BAYOU!"

We just went through Gulfport, MS and had the most delightful roadside snack, Popeyes! Aw yeah. Next stop, Atlanta for the night.

Anyone else doing an intense road trip this weekend? Have any great road trip stories? I'll be in the car for the next three days so I'm sure I'll be cruising the boards here rather frequently.

What else are y'all doing this weekend? (Sorry if there's already a weekend thread).

Anyone have any roadside recommendations for not to be missed food btw New Orleans, Atlanta, DC, & NYC?

Happy weekend y'all!

UPDATE:

Made it to Atlanta last night & had a fun night w/DH's friends. Decided to go for a nightcap in the club in our hotel, the W. Club was totally cheesy, pretentious but we were having fun people watching.

This nice girl approaches us & strikes up a chat since she said we looked like we were from out of town. She was really sweet, just being friendly, not creepy at all. She was with a group of about 4 guys. She introduces us to her husband. In a strange coincidence, her husband is friends w/DH's brother (DH & family went to high school in Atl & this guy was in school w/BIL.). So of course now we join their group, they buy us drinks, yada yada she mentions her upcoming wedding in SEPTEMBER, but in a hushed tone. She motions to the other guys & says, "sh, they don't know we are married." I'm shocked - it's a REAL live PPD in the making.

So of course I start digging & yep, she gives me the whole song & dance about "just going to the court house & getting the legal stuff done" but their wedding is coming in September (and this on the day that SCOTUS rules in favor of gay marriage made her remarks seem even more insensitive).

We were wrapping up to leave b/c the bar was closing & I couldn't help but ask, "do your parents know you are married?" She says, "No, no one knows". I just looked at her, this seemingly sweet, friendly girl who had struck up a chat with us to make us feel welcome, and all I could think was "Damn, that's COLD".

I was shocked that she would so shamelessly admit this to me, a perfect stranger no less! I felt bad that she had no concept of how wrong what she was doing was as well as the fact that she had no concept of how special her ACTUAL wedding day was! Not to mention all of her guests, family, & friends who are being duped into attending a fake wedding. I literally can't imagine lying to my nearest & dearest about what was truly the best day of my life. I was disappointed, she seemed so nice and despite having a common link with her husband & BIL, I have no interest in becoming friends with her.

I always read about these PPDs on here but to see one in the wild IRL was cray.

Re: UPDATE: PPD Sighting on Road Trip!

• I don't have suggestions along that route, but H and I love to road trip.  Last summer we drove from Tennessee back to California and it was the best adventure.  We would just stop at random places or get recommendations from the locals when we did stop.  Yelp was always helpful in finding good restaurants too.   Hope you have a fun and safe road trip!

Anniversary
  • Road trips are my worst nightmare, but that is because DH doesn't travel well.  I hope you have a wonderful trip!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I love road trips. The music, the snacks, the scenery, I love it all. I drove from Cali to Boston on the southern route ( route 66). It took up over a week and we stopped everywhere. It was one of the best trips of my life.
  • erinlin25 said:
    I don't have suggestions along that route, but H and I love to road trip.  Last summer we drove from Tennessee back to California and it was the best adventure.  We would just stop at random places or get recommendations from the locals when we did stop.  Yelp was always helpful in finding good restaurants too.   Hope you have a fun and safe road trip!
    Ditto the bolded stuff! Last summer we drove from northern Indiana to Idaho, and drove a scenic route through the mountains that ended in Sun Valley, went from there to Jackson Hole, to Yellowstone park into Montana, back through Wyoming, randomly stopped by Mt Rushmore, then home. It was so fun!

Keep me posted on how your road trip goes, OP! We've been talking a lot about doing a whole big east coast road trip next summer :) I hope you have fun along the way!

• erinlin25 said:

I don't have suggestions along that route, but H and I love to road trip.  Last summer we drove from Tennessee back to California and it was the best adventure.  We would just stop at random places or get recommendations from the locals when we did stop.  Yelp was always helpful in finding good restaurants too.   Hope you have a fun and safe road trip!

Ditto the bolded stuff! Last summer we drove from northern Indiana to Idaho, and drove a scenic route through the mountains that ended in Sun Valley, went from there to Jackson Hole, to Yellowstone park into Montana, back through Wyoming, randomly stopped by Mt Rushmore, then home. It was so fun!

Keep me posted on how your road trip goes, OP! We've been talking a lot about doing a whole big east coast road trip next summer :) I hope you have fun along the way!

Nice! Montana is gorgeous. That sounds like a gorgeous drive. East Coast is fun, too - I definitely recommend the Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenendoah (sp?) Valley as well as the coast.

@erinlin25 we scored big time this morning in the food dept. We went to Sweet Auburn Curb Market which has a ton of food stalls. We got the most delicious thing ever - a chicken & mushroom savory pie, done in the South African style. The place is called Panbury's Double Crust Pies & you can apparently order them online, which I plan to do asap when we get home. The only thing I've had that came close to it was at Borough Market in London.

And I'm eating lots of corn nuts. It's driving DH crazy b/c they are so crunchy. Haha.
  • Just read the update.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• erinlin25 said:

Nice! Montana is gorgeous. That sounds like a gorgeous drive. East Coast is fun, too - I definitely recommend the Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenendoah (sp?) Valley as well as the coast. @erinlin25 we scored big time this morning in the food dept. We went to Sweet Auburn Curb Market which has a ton of food stalls. We got the most delicious thing ever - a chicken & mushroom savory pie, done in the South African style. The place is called Panbury's Double Crust Pies & you can apparently order them online, which I plan to do asap when we get home. The only thing I've had that came close to it was at Borough Market in London. And I'm eating lots of corn nuts. It's driving DH crazy b/c they are so crunchy. Haha.
    Glad you are having fun.  Eat everything, guilt free lol.  I totally gained weight on our trip haha

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards