Chit Chat

Best Summertime Food

It's hot today.  Like stupid hot--106 degrees.  I've noticed that when it's this hot, I have no desire to eat anything other than salad and watermelon.  What are your favorite foods to eat in the summertime when it's ridiculously hot outside?

Re: Best Summertime Food

• My great-aunt's 3 bean salad is one of my favorite summer snacks. It's mostly just canned beans (green, wax, and kidney), a red wine vinaigrette, and some honey to make it stick. It's delicious and easy.

Also, grilled meats covered in pico de gallo or chimichurri. Yumm!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • 106!! wow!!  No desire to eat at that temp!!  However in the mid 80s I like chicken salad sandwiches (homemade of course), fruits, water, and after I am well hydrated a nice cocktail :)
  • We'll cook some chicken breasts and put them on salad.  Mixed bag of whatever, add tomatoes, peppers, carrots, peas, etc.  We love the Kraft Greek Feta and Oregano dressing.  I also hate cooking when it's hot

• It was 100ish on Friday, and FI made this amazing chicken pasta salad. Chicken, pasta shells, celery, fresh mozzarella, and cherries with a greek yogurt and pesto dressing. We had a picnic of that, some fresh melon, and snapple iced tea, and it was fabulous. Sadly, some yellowjackets also seemed to think it was tasty, so we abandoned our picnic table halfway through dinner and ate in the car.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the pasta salad my mom makes. It has tons of veggies in it, black beans, shredded cheese, and summer sausage so it's pretty much a meal. She puts some kind of vinaigrette on it with lime juice, olive oil... I think that's it? 

Also, chicken salad or a Cesar salad with grilled chicken on top.  
  • I'm the same way. I love salads with grilled chicken when it is really hot. I also make chicken salad or pulled pork and make little sandwiches. 

The best thing is Carolina Caviar with some tortilla chips.  http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/salads/a-blackeye-pea-salad-or-dip-a-k-a-redneck-caviar/

• 1. The northeast apparently missed the Summer memo because it was 58 and raining here yesterday.

2. @winstonsgirl I NEED that dressing in my life!

3. Am I the only one here who hates beans- all types?!

4. My answer to the original question is sugar free, real fruit popsicles. 25 calories of heaven.

• Ice cream and gin & tonics, of course!

@jenna8984 I have these when it's 50 degrees and raining in New England just to fool myself into BELIEVING it's really summer.
  • Boston person here. Where is summer?????

But when it's too damn hot out, we go out to eat. Usually a nice air conditioned place to get sushi and white wine.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Boston as well! So gross here lately. I second the ice cream comment, and @jenna8984 I also hate beans! I also don't like mayo and most dressings... my hot summer/cold food options are VERY limited.
  • BBQ, BBQ, BBQ!! No ovens or stoves in this weather.

Fish tacos with pico de gallo
    grilled veggies
    kabobs
    burgers
    grilled corn on the cob

Cold Radler Beer with it (Loving me some graprefuit beer right now, so refreshing).

Frozen grapes are a great snack

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    BBQ, BBQ, BBQ!! No ovens or stoves in this weather.

Fish tacos with pico de gallo
    grilled veggies
    kabobs
    burgers
    grilled corn on the cob

Cold Radler Beer with it (Loving me some graprefuit beer right now, so refreshing).

Frozen grapes are a great snack

Barf! ;) My cousins gave me this in Germany....along with some other beer concoction - beer, cherry coke or cherry dr pepper I don't remember which, and some other stuff and I was just like...nope. I couldn't even finish it! How about just a nice variety of cold beers? ;) I mean if you have a taste for radler, then great, but yeah, not my style.

• Fresh watermelon & feta salad.  There's no real recipe to it, I just throw it together.  It works with green grapes in place of or in addition to the watermelon.

Toss watermelon chunks with feta cubes.  Add sliced green grapes if you like.  I will also zest a lime into it (whole lime for a big salad, half for a smaller).  Add chopped fresh mint and/or basil, both go well with watermelon.

I dress it with about a Tbs of olive oil mixed with the juice of a whole lime, a little S&P, and a dash of Agave if you want it a little sweeter.  It's sweet, salty, juicy, and refreshing.

I also like Sno-Balls in the summer but they are hard to find outside of New Orleans.  
  • @emmaaa we call that Cowboy Caviar, I could buy it by the case from Trader Joes  - soooo good!

I like mixing mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, basil and croutons in greek dressing!  I could eat that at every meal.

And corn on the cob, on the grill with turkey burgers.  I mix in the feta, red onions, and green olives into the  meat, with a little soy and salt n pepper.  Then top it with avocado and a little greek dressing, sriracha and lime juice!

I'm also hooked on the grapefruit beer train too - but my favorite is Perrin's Grapefruit IPA.

Now I'm hungry!
  • Guacamole and salsa

Crab legs with either mustard sauce or vegan butter I've been making at home

Clams on the BBQ topped with olive oil and lemon and red pepper flakes once they open (OMG.  I make these for parties all the time, so easy and they disappear in a heartbeat)

Watermelon wheat beer or Riesling 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DaniBites said:
    Guacamole and salsa

Crab legs with either mustard sauce or vegan butter I've been making at home

Clams on the BBQ topped with olive oil and lemon and red pepper flakes once they open (OMG.  I make these for parties all the time, so easy and they disappear in a heartbeat)

Watermelon wheat beer or Riesling 
    I want these RIGHT NOW! 
  • Sushi

This summer pasta recipe I sort of made up awhile ago:
    diced: 
    beefsteak or vine tomatoes
    red onion
    ricotta salata (or fresh mozzarella or feta works too)

minced:
    Garlic
    Kalamata olives
    basil

Toss with olive oil and then toss with pasta. It gets better the longer it sits, so you can make it in advance and then boil your pasta right when you are going to eat. Its also amazing refrigerated, like a hearty pasta salad. I also add spicy chicken sausage if I want more protein.

I will also take one for the team one night in the week and roast a chicken or a large piece of salmon and then eat it cold for other meals with salad or veggies.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lobster roll with Alagash beer is my go to summer meal.

If I am home, I like hummus with veggies to dip in or a nice cold pasta salad.

• Currently munching on a sliced up avocado, tomato, onion, and mozzarella tossed in a raspberry vinaigrette. Also love the watermelon and feta salad! Pasta salad is a must and I like to cut up and freeze any kind of fruit for a quick, cold snack!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2015
    arrippa said:

Lobster roll with Alagash beer is my go to summer meal.

If I am home, I like hummus with veggies to dip in or a nice cold pasta salad.

STOP IT that is absolutely perfect. Now I want to be in Maine.

ETF: Words
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards