Snarky Brides

J&K

Im pretty sure it was you who suggested Divergent to me.  I read it (and Insurgent) and loved them.  You are into the dystopian stuff no?  Do you have any other suggestions for similar books?
045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
BabyFruit Ticker
DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!

Re: J&K

• I'm not J (duh), but I loved it too!

Have you read the Maze Runner series? Hunger Games? 
  • I read HG but not Maze Runner.  Whats it about?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • hmm, I suck at explaining books and it's hard to explain without giving anything away...

let me go see if I can find a good summary. :)
  • Amazon's is ok...

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. 

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.
  • I SURE DO!  :)

The Uglies series (Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras)
    The City of Ember series
    Delirium trilogy (first two are out, Delirium and Pandemonium.  I didn't love Pandemonium, but I'll see it through to the end anyway)
    Matched trilogy (Matched and Crossed are currently out, the third comes out in November, I believe)
    The Maze Runner trilogy
    Incarceron and Sapphique are good, but a little different/sort of strange.  Sapphique was better than Incarceron
    When She Woke (preachy/obviously soapbox-y, but I got fairly invested in the characters once I got over that)
    The Declaration trilogy
    Under the Never Sky
    The Outside

I'm currently also getting into more classic dystopian stuff.  I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale right now, and it's great.  I love Margaret Atwood's writing style.  Brave New World is up next.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Here is my goodreads shelf: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/5563727?shelf=read

You can find the summaries and stuff there and see what looks good all in one place.  And you can be my friend and junk too, if you want.

• OH, The House of the Scorpion.  That one was awesome.

• I bought Handmaids Tale.  Maybe that can be my next.  I want to look into some of those series.

None of them are hippy dippy looney lefty liberal stuff are they?  ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ohyeah. The Handmaid's Tale was fantastic! I got it when it was $1 on Amazon a few months ago.
  • ha, blue. If anything, The Maze Runner is the opposite... but it's hard to explain without giving away anything ;)
  • Oh, When She Woke is pretty hippy dippy loony lefty liberal.  There's a good chance you won't like that one.

Well, it's probably not that bad.  It's not hugely liberal, but really more anti-far far right.  If that makes any sense?  It's not all "let's feed everyone in the world and have universal healthcare" but it is very anti-anti abortion and pro women's rights.  I explained that terribly.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_jk-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bbdcf4c3-f2c6-4077-b500-a60604f515d4Post:4707bb74-6bc5-4364-8dc4-9a2136b3f3c9">Re: J&K</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, When She Woke is pretty hippy dippy loony lefty liberal.  There's a good chance you won't like that one. Well, it's probably not that bad.  It's not hugely liberal, but really more anti-far far right.  If that makes any sense?  It's not all "let's feed everyone in the world and have universal healthcare" but it is<strong><u> very anti-anti abortion and pro women's rights.</u></strong>  I explained that terribly.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Im ok with that, lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, I figured.  It's one of the more overtly preachy ones though.  I say give it a try, but throw it fairly low on the list.  If I had to pick three right now to be the top three, I'd say Maze Runner, Matched, and The Uglies.

I'm obsessed.  I have a problem.

• NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Are all these books YA?
  • I was suprised that I really enjoyed Divergent and Insurgent.  I love Four. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_jk-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bbdcf4c3-f2c6-4077-b500-a60604f515d4Post:89cf3029-b904-4cb0-b39a-354e0357ba3a">Re: J&K</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was suprised that I really enjoyed Divergent and Insurgent.  <strong>I love Four. </strong>
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

<div>me too! I think I'm going to read Insurgent this week. I want to go back and reread the last bit of Divergent first though.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_jk-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bbdcf4c3-f2c6-4077-b500-a60604f515d4Post:8d107237-89fa-4ad4-84d4-4d35b54aa4c6">Re: J&K</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are all these books YA?
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

<div>The Handmaid's Tale isn't. The Maze Runner triology and Divergent/Insurgent are though. I'm not sure about the rest. why?</div>
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Just curious.
  • A lot of them are, Nebb.  When She Woke really isn't.  Handmaid's Tale isn't.  Incarceron and Sapphique are iffy. 

We were casting Divergent on E a week or so ago.  I pick Jensen Ackles for Four and that's all I care about.

• I'm late to the party, but I absolutely love dystopian lit. I've read all the books J suggested.

Blue- I think you'd like Anthem.  It's by Ayn Rand, so I'm sure you can figure out the political leanings.

1984 and Handmaid's Tale are probably my favorite dystopian lit books.  I love Margaret Atwood.  As far as young adult goes, Hunger Games, The Giver, and The Uglies are my favorites.

J- have you read Shades of Gray?  That one's pretty interesting (It's definitely NOT 50 Shades of Gray!).  

I also loved Earth Abides.  It's not strictly dystopian, but it's awesome.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have not read Shades of Gray.  Going to look it up on Goodreads now!  Anthem is on my list too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards