Wedding Invitations & Paper

2 receptions

My Fiance and I live in Texas, but I am from Ohio. We are having a very small wedding (20-40 people) here in TX because his mom and sister are handicap and cannot travel far. We are then going to plan on having a small "open house" style reception in Ohio for all of the family and friends who can't travel to Texas. When is the appropriate time to send out the invites for the Ohio reception? Do I send them at the same time as the regular invites?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Best Answers

Answers

• Jen4948 said:
    My Fiance and I live in Texas, but I am from Ohio. We are having a very small wedding (20-40 people) here in TX because his mom and sister are handicap and cannot travel far. We are then going to plan on having a small "open house" style reception in Ohio for all of the family and friends who can't travel to Texas. When is the appropriate time to send out the invites for the Ohio reception? Do I send them at the same time as the regular invites?

The Ohio party isn't your "reception."  That boat will have sailed.

It's a "celebration" of your marriage instead.  I'd send separate invitations to the Ohio event six to eight weeks in advance, just like with your wedding invitations.

I disagree with the timeline.  It's just a party.  I don't need as much notice for a party as I do for a wedding.  Four weeks prior to the event is fine.

Though, personally, I think you should invite Everyone to your actual Wedding.  Let them decide if they can or cannot travel for it.  You may be surprised.  I'd travel to Texas for your wedding, but I might not go to a local party celebrating your recent marriage because it's just not that big a deal.
  • I agree with @adk19. I will totally fly across the country to see someone I care about get married. If it's just a party celebrating their marriage in town maybe I'll go, depends on if something better comes up. Honestly I'd be hurt that I wasn't invited to the actual wedding and this is supposed to be like a consolation prize. So if I did stop by I'd say congrats and then go do whatever else I had planned for that day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hate reception tours. You should not have to travel around having multiple parties trying to accommodate everyone or thinking everyone wants to be included.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Just invite everyone to your wedding.  If they can make it great.  If not, oh well.  We had a few people that couldn't make it to our wedding but we didn't feel it necessary to throw another party later just so that they could come and celebrate our marriage with us.  

I will never understand these wedding reception tours.  Yes it is a big day in your life but not everyone will be crying in their pillow at night if they can't make it.  They will get over it if they never attend a party to celebrate the fact that you got married.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards