Flowers
Options

No color scheme or theme. Need flower ideas.

edited June 2015 in Flowers
We're getting married in a gallery, with the reception outside. The outside of the gallery has lots of murals and sculptures that are very bright and multi-colored. We want to embrace that, not mute it with a color scheme that just isn't us. 

We're doing a cocktail party reception, instead of a sit down dinner, and will have a combo of small rounds and cocktail height tables so people can really mingle. The caterer recommended some neutral, almost khaki green, linens and we're doing the center pieces ourselves. They'll be very simple - various colored glass vases and bottles in which we'll put in-season wild flowers (we're getting married in October, in Sacramento, CA). See photo for an example, though we have more variety of vase shapes and colors: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/301389400040074401/

We're in our 50's and not having big wedding parties. My much younger sister will be my Maid of Honor and my fiance will have his best man. My dad is the only surviving parent. We need a boutonniere for him, for the officiant, the Best Man and my fiance. And the only corsages we need are for me and my sister. She's going to wear a cocktail length black dress (we're keeping things simple) and my dress will be A-line, tea length, kind of a modern retro look. No veil. 

I've laid all that out there because I need ideas for the wedding party flowers. I was thinking all white, since the wedding will be inside, and it doesn't really matter that it won't match the outside color (not sure what the art inside the gallery will be on our wedding day, but the walls are brick and the floor is cement and wood). I'm open to color, and color mixes, as well. I'd be happy to pick up a loose bouquet of wildflowers, white roses, or even white baby's breath, wrap it with some ribbon, add a cool old piece of jewelry and wa la, I have bouquet. But I can't figure the 
boutonniere. If we do white corsages, then that's easier, but not sure about multi-colored corsages. 

Suggestions? We're not changing our mind about the reception colors. It's such a cool venue. The colored glass and flowers will fit perfectly. I just want ideas for the ceremony flowers. I'm very open at this point. 

Re: No color scheme or theme. Need flower ideas.

• Options
    I'd show that wildflower pic to a florist and have the bouts and corsages done with different colors of gerberas or poppies or something, and with structurally interesting filler. Something like these guys, or this one doesn't even have a flower.

I wouldn't go with white personal flowers when everything else about your decor sounds so vibrant. White can be lovely, but it sounds like this isn't the place for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

IMO - this is when you don't stress about it, find a fantastic florist who's incredibly artsy and let them run with a decent budget to come up with something that compliments the venue.  Finding a florist who is also an artist first is going to be the difficult part.

• Options
    Finding a florist, period, has been my problem. 

We are doing a quick turn-around from engagement to wedding. We just got engaged last month and we're getting married in October. We're old (our 50's) and we've been together forever, but my fiance didn't want to wait a year and neither of us wanted a winter wedding, so Fall sounded nice. LOL. It's a gorgeous time of year in Sacramento, but we had no idea what planning a wedding entailed. Thankfully, we got our first choice of venue, a DJ, a caterer (we already knew), an officiant (a family friend), photographer, my hair stylist is doing my hair and make-up... It all came together so easily. EXCEPT for a florist. 

All I've contacted so far say they're booked. We're not even asking for an entire wedding done, just the bouquets and boutonniers. I am only contacting high yelp and knot reviews, but I might just walk into some of them, not ask for an appointment. They're not all just "wedding florists" so I should be able to do that. I really do want someone with an artistic sense who can take my vision/taste and the venue's backdrop, and come up with something. Since I've had such a hard time finding a florist, I thought I'd start here. I've got some very creative friends who can take my idea and create it, if need be. But I don't know what my idea is yet.
  • Options
    Have you searched Facebook for florists near you?  There's probably a lot of them who don't have formal businesses yet, or any employees of floral supply shops who do this on side, on there.  Or ask on your local board for smaller floral groups.  Another option is to ask your caterer, they may have a design group you weren't even aware of who can do this, and if not they may have a recommendation.

Personally, with your picture, I like the mismatched boutineer idea:

• Options

We're getting married in a gallery, with the reception outside. The outside of the gallery has lots of murals and sculptures that are very bright and multi-colored. We want to embrace that, not mute it with a color scheme that just isn't us. 

We're doing a cocktail party reception, instead of a sit down dinner, and will have a combo of small rounds and cocktail height tables so people can really mingle. The caterer recommended some neutral, almost khaki green, linens and we're doing the center pieces ourselves. They'll be very simple - various colored glass vases and bottles in which we'll put in-season wild flowers (we're getting married in October, in Sacramento, CA). See photo for an example, though we have more variety of vase shapes and colors: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/301389400040074401/

We're in our 50's and not having big wedding parties. My much younger sister will be my Maid of Honor and my fiance will have his best man. My dad is the only surviving parent. We need a boutonniere for him, for the officiant, the Best Man and my fiance. And the only corsages we need are for me and my sister. She's going to wear a cocktail length black dress (we're keeping things simple) and my dress will be A-line, tea length, kind of a modern retro look. No veil. 

I've laid all that out there because I need ideas for the wedding party flowers. I was thinking all white, since the wedding will be inside, and it doesn't really matter that it won't match the outside color (not sure what the art inside the gallery will be on our wedding day, but the walls are brick and the floor is cement and wood). I'm open to color, and color mixes, as well. I'd be happy to pick up a loose bouquet of wildflowers, white roses, or even white baby's breath, wrap it with some ribbon, add a cool old piece of jewelry and wa la, I have bouquet. But I can't figure the 
    boutonniere. If we do white corsages, then that's easier, but not sure about multi-colored corsages. 

Suggestions? We're not changing our mind about the reception colors. It's such a cool venue. The colored glass and flowers will fit perfectly. I just want ideas for the ceremony flowers. I'm very open at this point. 

I would suggest ensuring you have enough seats for everyone and enough heavy food to constitute a meal. Otherwise, I think your wedding sounds really cool. We also did wildflowers and a bunch of cocktail height tables.

But you really have to have a place for everyone to sit down. We went to a wedding a couple years ago that did a "mingling reception". Not enough seats and no meal, just some apps (it was during dinner time). People left early, were pissed, and still talk about it as the worst wedding ever. Of course no one said anything to the B&G.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    edited June 2015

I would suggest ensuring you have enough seats for everyone and enough heavy food to constitute a meal. Otherwise, I think your wedding sounds really cool. We also did wildflowers and a bunch of cocktail height tables. But you really have to have a place for everyone to sit down. We went to a wedding a couple years ago that did a "mingling reception". Not enough seats and no meal, just some apps (it was during dinner time). People left early, were pissed, and still talk about it as the worst wedding ever. Of course no one said anything to the B&G.
    We are going to have plenty of seating. That's why we wanted a mixture of small rounds (seating up to 6) to go with the cocktail height. And we're going to have heavy apps. The invitation says "Join us for drinks, appetizers and fun following the ceremony" so people know it's not a sit down dinner. I don't want people holding off on eating more apps because they think a plated meal is coming. Plus, it's mostly my fiance's huge family, and the word has already gotten around. The wedding is at 4, so the reception will start before dinner time. If they're still hungry after the reception, they can go to a late dinner, but they'll get full. We will have chicken skewers (not my favorite, but good protein), some fancy quesadillas, "adult" grilled cheese bites, salmon canapes... among other appetizers. We're also going to have a huge dessert spread. A good friend owns a restaurant in town that is known for it's amazing desserts, and he's supplying it all, plus alcohol (we're very lucky). We'll have a small cake, but pretty much just for display. Personally, my favorite dessert will be the lemon tarts. The cake will go in the freezer for an anniversary celebration.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Have you searched Facebook for florists near you?  There's probably a lot of them who don't have formal businesses yet, or any employees of floral supply shops who do this on side, on there.  Or ask on your local board for smaller floral groups.  Another option is to ask your caterer, they may have a design group you weren't even aware of who can do this, and if not they may have a recommendation.

I LOVE these boutineers! You may have just solved my problem. 
  • Options

I LOVE these boutineers! You may have just solved my problem. 
    Yay!  Glad I could help:).
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I'd also ask your venue for any florist recommendations if you haven't already. I definitely think you should stick with the colorful/wildflower type of look. All white just doesn't seem to fit the venue in the way you described it. The florist I used for my wedding doesn't even have a facebook page or website. She's 100% word of mouth/venue recommended so I never would have found her without my venue.

• Options

Yes - just walk in to a florist and ask...  Some that turned you down may have done so because of brides "window shopping" as opposed to someone in their shop with money in-hand. 

I know it's going to sound silly - but call a few funeral homes in the area and ask for recommendations...  They'll tell you who the better florists are in the area and they've got nothing to lose!  I'd take their reviews over yelp any day because they're working with them professionally all the time. 

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    With your floral needs on the smaller scale, have you considered looking into the floral department at your local grocery shops? Our Fresh Market and local grocer actually have some very talented florists always looking for an opportunity to do something a little out of the ordinary.
  • Options
    MobKaz said:
    With your floral needs on the smaller scale, have you considered looking into the floral department at your local grocery shops? Our Fresh Market and local grocer actually have some very talented florists always looking for an opportunity to do something a little out of the ordinary.

Thanks. I might just do that. I tried one more florist by email, since it was a referral, but I never heard back. We had to host a dinner this weekend, but now that it's behind us, our weekends are free. I'm going to hit the pavement. I'd actually love to give someone an opportunity. We also have a couple Farmer's Markets with some great vendors. I might check those out as well.
  • Options
    I found a florist! Another woman had posted on Nextdoor asking for florist referrals and I commented that ever florist I've contacted has said they're booked. People had some good DIY ideas, but I still felt like I wanted more expert advice, at least. A woman who lives in the neighborhood next to mine messaged me and said she has a florist out of her home and sent me links to her work. It's gorgeous! I emailed her some pictures and my ideas and she has great ideas. She lives as close as I do to the gallery, so it's kind of perfect. I love buying local, and she's as local as you can get. She also writes a blog and sent me one on DIY flowers since I'm doing the center pieces myself. Anyway, thanks for all the advice and think of Nextdoor if you need a vendor. Nextdoor can drive me crazy, but it really is good for referrals. I know not every Nextdoor is active, but mine is so I'll remember it the next time I need a referral.
  • Options

I would suggest ensuring you have enough seats for everyone and enough heavy food to constitute a meal. Otherwise, I think your wedding sounds really cool. We also did wildflowers and a bunch of cocktail height tables. But you really have to have a place for everyone to sit down. We went to a wedding a couple years ago that did a "mingling reception". Not enough seats and no meal, just some apps (it was during dinner time). People left early, were pissed, and still talk about it as the worst wedding ever. Of course no one said anything to the B&G.

What she said. My ex's family told me at his wedding to his current wife there weren't enough seats. They had a combination similar to yours. Some sit down tables with chairs and the rest bar tables. She was upset because she said the new wife's family got to sit down at the tables leaving the rest of them to stand  for hours at the bar tables. She said she felt like they didn't actually want his side of the family there.

Now, I've met my ex's wife. She's a wonderful person. I highly doubt she intentionally didn't have enough chairs to snub his family, but that's how they took it. Please make sure you have enough seats for everyone. And don't assume people will take turns sitting. If there's not enough seats, people will claim the ones that are available, and may not want to get up and mingle in fear of losing their seats.

• Options

What she said. My ex's family told me at his wedding to his current wife there weren't enough seats. They had a combination similar to yours. Some sit down tables with chairs and the rest bar tables. She was upset because she said the new wife's family got to sit down at the tables leaving the rest of them to stand  for hours at the bar tables. She said she felt like they didn't actually want his side of the family there.

Now, I've met my ex's wife. She's a wonderful person. I highly doubt she intentionally didn't have enough chairs to snub his family, but that's how they took it. Please make sure you have enough seats for everyone. And don't assume people will take turns sitting. If there's not enough seats, people will claim the ones that are available, and may not want to get up and mingle in fear of losing their seats.

Thanks for the tips. The servers will be bringing out chairs from the ceremony to create little sitting areas, but maybe we'll have a different combo of small rounds and talls. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards