Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Tipping for makeup trial?

My makeup trial is today.. yay! The trial is required by the makeup artist before I officially book her and it costs $90 and is at her location of choice. We also sign the contract at the trial and I give her a deposit of $200. 

Normally I'm very liberal when it comes to tipping. Tips for everyone. But in this case, I'm on the fence. It was tough getting on the makeup artist's calendar which is why we're randomly doing this on a Thursday afternoon (she is saving my wedding date however) so I kind of had to move around my schedule for her, and I'm driving out of my way to meet her for the required trial. Is a tip necessary today? Or can I give her the $90 for the trial plus $200 for the deposit (not to mention the commitment in the contract that I have 11 people on my wedding day having their makeup done)?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Tipping for makeup trial?

• Options
    You probably won't like my answer, but I would tip her. For two reasons: 

1) because it's a salon service and I think it's only right to tip for salon services; and 
    2) because if you don't tip, she might think you won't tip on the wedding day and bring her A game. 

I think #1 is your etiquette answer and #2 is just what I would personally be worried about.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Thanks southernbelle. I think I would probably feel weird leaving the salon without tipping anyway. And awesome point about #2. 

What's an appropriate tip? $20?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Originally I was going to say no, that I would tip on the wedding day, at the conclusion of services, but I think Southernbelle makes a good point.

Based on that, a small tip.
  • Options
    peachy13 said:
    What's an appropriate tip? $20?
    Personally, my baseline is between 15-20%. If they do an awesome job and everything goes well, closer to 20. If it "meets expectations", closer to 15. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    marie2785marie2785 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    For my makeup trial, I tipped $10 on a $70 makeup service. It was NOT a huge tip (usually I'd do $15 or so), but that was all the cash I had on hand. I wanted to tip so they knew I was happy, and also so she took the time to do it right on my wedding day, and didn't think I was cheap. 

For my hair trial I tipped a full 20% because the girl did my hair perfectly, and then redid the whole updo so I could go to my wedding shower that morning with a different look than I planned to use for the wedding. She was awesome.
  • Options
    You need to tip because you don't want her thinking this is normal for you.  It might impact the service you receive.   I would tip the miniminm 15% for the trial because of the amount of money you're giving for the deposit and trial.   If she does a good job on the day of the wedding, then tip 20%.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards