Honeymoon Discussions

San Diego ideas?

So we just booked our honeymoon for San Diego in October (random location, I know! But neither of us has been to the west coast and we've heard awesome things about San Diego, so hey! Why not.)

Other than the zoo/Safari Park/Sea World, what kinds of things should we plan to do? We're not familiar with the area at all! Interests include hiking/outdoorsy-type stuff, good vegan food, indie music, gardens, and wine! Suggestions much appreciated! :)

Re: San Diego ideas?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    San Diego has little tourist buses that will take you all over.  Most people want to see the Hotel Del Coronado.  My DH was crazy about the maritime museum that features the Battleship Midway and many other historic ships that are tied up in the harbor.  They even have the ship that was featured in the movie ""Master and Commander" with Russell Crowe.  DH absolutely loved it!
    Here is a list of top attractions:

http://www.sandiegostop10.com/SeeAndDo.aspx

We stayed at the Wyndham Harbour Lights Hotel, which has been completely remodeled from its days as a Holiday Inn.  Ask for a room with a view up high.  It is near the metro train in the back, so some rooms can be noisy.  The newer building with spectacular harbor views is worth the upgrade.  There are two separate buildings with a Ruth Criss Steakhouse in between.  (Oops! You're vegan!)  Being California, you shouldn't have trouble finding food to suit you.  This hotel is directly across from the harbor Maritime Museum.  They have shuttle buses.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • San Diego is my favorite city in the world (I'm biased since I've been going since I was a small child, but I go at least once per year to visit family and have a hard time leaving every time!) Non-touristy things I recommend: Hotel: I would recommend staying in La Jolla or in Mission Bay; I actually stayed at the Wyndham Bayside in May 2015, and while it was fine, it was nothing special and not actually walkable to anything that I enjoy (i.e. no neighborhood coffee shops, etc.) I also often do AirBnB in other cities, just havent done it in SD since I have family there (but I'd recommend you check out AirBnB in Pacific Beach and Mission Bay areas) Food: -Breakfast: Brockton Villa in La Jolla Cove is great for breakfast/brunch and you can walk the shops at La Jolla Cove and see the actual cove (with the seals!) either before or after. [There are great restaurants in the Cove as well--I'd recommend a fancy night out there) -Happy Hour: North Park and Normal Heights are some of the most happening neighborhoods right now. They are a bit inland (off of the 8 going towards El Centro) but if you were to spend an afternoon at Balboa Park, would be an easy place to get to. We LOVE Mayahuel for their street tacos and custom margaritas, but basically any place you go along Adams Ave is a win (Soda and Swine is supposed to be the real spot right now but we didn't go last time I was in town) -Dinner: Italian in the Gaslamp District is great; anywhere in La Jolla Cove area (mentioned above in Breakfast); there is also a great French restaurant in North Park that I can't remember the name of--we went there for a special family dinner last summer and it was GREAT. Things to Do: -Wine tour in Escondido! Nothing specific to recommend--if you have a rental car, plan your own--we've had fun doing this and just getting lunch at a vineyard. I would also recommend stopping by the Niki de Saint Phalle Queen Califia exhibit on the way out or back--she is an amazing sculptor who spend much of her later life in La Jolla, and I've always found her exhibits to be magical (she died in 2002) -Beach: I've been going to La Jolla Shores since I was a kid (I'm 31, we still love it); WindandSea is great too (less touristy). Pacific Beach is full of college age kids, but good for a burger and a beer. (I think Bare Back Grill is the place we always go--amazing burgers and a great lunch special of burger + beer for like, $15) -Coronado Island: Beautiful, I'd go in the late afternoon and do dinner there. No specific recommendations. -Hiking: I think Anza Borega isn't that far but I could be totally off. -Padres Game: Always a good time if they're playing -Sea Kayaking: I loved doing this at La Jolla Shores but my H gets sea sick so he wasn't that into it (I think I got a sweet groupon for it and paid next to nothing) -University Town Center Mall: Basically my favorite mall in the U.S. since its all outdoors. My H doesnt HATE it (I mean, he kind of hates going to the mall with me in general)...at least he can sit outside while I run into different stores. -Balboa Park: There are a number of different museums at Balboa park that are really interesting; its also a great place to bring a blanket and picnic Bottom line is that San Diego is one of the most chill cities in the U.S. and you will love it! October is getting chilly, but if the winds are right, the ocean could still be relatively warm (if the water temps are 66 or above, I'd recommend checking out a surfing lesson and just renting a wet suit, or buying one used at play it again sports if you plan on going more than 1 day). Its a very relaxed city (not fancy, super casual, laid back). Have fun!
  • Old town is my favorite spot. Los locos for happy hour get a beer and Chicken taco.
    Hit up the beach I suggest Coronado Central. Balboa park has gardens and mueseums I suggest the prado for lunch. mission beach has a cool boardwalk at Belmont park. Cool bars and stuff in Pacific beach. Seaport village is another touristy thing. There is a lot to do In San Diego. I always have fun.
  • Thanks for all the tips, guys! I should add that yes, we are planing on renting a car and we've booked our accommodations at a victorian manor near the Gaslamp Quarter.

@freebread03 I had read about the sea kayaking in La Jolla Cove, and totally forgot about it until you mentioned it! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Does anyone know what kind of weather we can realistically expect in early-mid October? I did some research on my own and found mid-60s to 70s. We're from Massachusetts and Connecticut, so this is still considered beach weather for us. Would that be accurate?
  • Thanks for all the tips, guys! I should add that yes, we are planing on renting a car and we've booked our accommodations at a victorian manor near the Gaslamp Quarter.

@freebread03 I had read about the sea kayaking in La Jolla Cove, and totally forgot about it until you mentioned it! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Does anyone know what kind of weather we can realistically expect in early-mid October? I did some research on my own and found mid-60s to 70s. We're from Massachusetts and Connecticut, so this is still considered beach weather for us. Would that be accurate?

Yes that's right. At night the coldest it will be is 50-55. Highs are in the 70s.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards