Snarky Brides
Options

I kind of hate the USPS today*

Sorry, it may be Friday but since it isn't quite HH yet (<-----BS, it is ALWAYS HH time) I am going to need to vent for a sec. So after finally getting around to sending out my STD cards, I felt like less of a slacker. When I started planning all of this fun I thought I'd be sending 30-40 invites. HA! Enter the Mothers, and their lists of "I know they won't come but we just HAVE TO send an invite to ENTER NAME OF ANCIENT/DISTANT FRIEND OR RELATIVE HERE. Fine. Handmade invites for 115 instead. Even though we are paying for it, a wedding slightly larger than we want is a small price to pay to keep the maternal ones happy. So, since the STD have bottle cap magnets in them (yes, I am cheesy, I readily admit that) I figured it best to wag them down to the post office to determine postage. I went ahead and took the invites too so I could buy stamps for all of this shit at once. The verdict on the damage? .70 (now .71 since this month's hike) on the STD and .91 (now .93) on the invites. Fine, I'll bend over, my choices.

Sooooo, I send the STDs. Then the fun part. I get about a dozen back in the mail. INSUFFICIENT POSTAGE, complete with all of the awesome stamps/nastygrams that they use to shame the cheapasses trying to chintz the good ol' USPS. Apparently .22 more postage needed. It is marked for 2 ounces and is 1.23oz, but since there is a damn magnet in it, it must be hand sorted, thus the extra ounce postage requirement. FINE, but don't you think that since I bothered to drag my lazy ass down to the Post Office to have you TELL ME how much it was going to cost beforehand you could have sold me the correct postage? To add extra insult, when I went down to find out WTH happened (which requires finding a ride since I can't currently drive my gimpy self there) the smug woman explaining this is the same damn idiot who sold me all of the postage in the first place. Her explanation: "I can't recall but I don't know why I would have missed that". So when I grumble about the wasted postage on all of the envelopes that will be cancelled and returned (I can only assume that many more of the 115 are on their way back) Ms. Helpful assures me that it doesn't have to be wasted. I can simply affix the additional .22 to the returned envelopes and resend.

Yeah, thanks, this is what I want my guests to receive. Guess it's a super fun weekend of new envelope making for me.

*This is MY vent damnit and if you dare disagree with me I shall have no choice but to start a post about what insensitive bitches you all are. Obviously we are all meat to help each other here as we sing Kumbaya and harshly judge our bridal parties.

Re: I kind of hate the USPS today*

• Options
    Yeeeahhh... that's hella ugly.  I'd be redoing them, too. Heck, if I lived near you, I'd come help :)
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    Thanks @mrscomposer . It's not as though I had a tear-up-the-town weekend planned, but still....
  • Options
    I am super glad I read this. I was going to put magnets on my STD also. So besides the actual weight of the magnet they add an additional ounce on top of that? 
  • Options
    @kittykyat it is because the magnets are under bottle caps, so the envelopes are not flat, thus preventing them from being machine-sorted. A pain-in-the-ass fee of sorts. I'll post a pic to show you. Like I said, I thought they would be fun since I had anticipated a short-ish guest list. We ended up having to order more of the dang things at the last minute because we were going to run out. Had I known about the postage cost and mess (esp the headache of redoing envelopes) I probably would have skipped it. If you are talking about a flat adhesive sheet magnet you may be okay, but I would make one and take it to the post office and make them swear in blood and kitten tears that the quoted amount is correct.
  • Options
    @TheCheeseWench ahh okay. Thank you! Ours is flat sheet magnet. I think I will do that and take just one and then make sure it actually gets there and then take the rest afterwards. I'm sorry that happened to you :( 
  • Options
    I used the flat magnets (just cut up a roll from Michaels). It was regular postage price.
  • Options
    This is why you take your STDs or invitations to the post office and have them weighed, in order to calculate the exact, proper, postage BEFORE you slap a stamp on them and just mail them.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I'm so sorry that happened to you!  A coworker and I both used Tiny Prints for respective baby showers we were throwing and both used the same shape envelope, both PO said the normal stamp is fine.  I had zero returned, she had half of hers.  When she went back they said the square envelopes were $0.10  more because they are an odd shape.

Important to know:
    When a piece of mail is short postage the local (delivering office) chooses what to do between:
    1.  Deliver anyway
    2.  Return to sender
    3.  Deliver COD notice and release mail when the recipient has paid off the balance
    4.  Deliver with COD notice attached to original mail

Either way, 2 is expensive and 3 or 4 are embarassing!
  • Options
    Ugh that absolutely stinks.  I hate USPS.  

When we moved, I put in a change of address for both of us.  The USPS started returning all our mail at both the old and new addresses.  Apparently it was necessary for me to go to the post office, talk to a supervisor, and have him leave a note on the driver's desk to deliver our mail.  :|  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    This is why you take your STDs or invitations to the post office and have them weighed, in order to calculate the exact, proper, postage BEFORE you slap a stamp on them and just mail them.
    She did. 

This is why you read the entire post before posting.
    Ths is why I didn't put crazy stuff in my STDs or invitations. . . damn them and their surcharge for hand sorting!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I would rather go to the RMV/DMV, through customs and for a dental cleaning to get a lesson on proper flossing all in the same day than a visit to USPS. I got a lecture on my bows. Spent .71 on postage per invitation. Praying they won't come back for "parcel postage" if they aren't flat enough. My Fi will need to deal with them and figure out what to do if that's the case bc I literally will look like the girl on the exorcist.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kittykyat We had the flat magnet save the dates and they were delivered fine with regular postage. I also got a friends magnet and she used regular postage as well. I think the issue here wasn't that it was a magnet but that it wasn't flat. 

OP I'm so sorry that happened to you! I hate when I take the time to double check something and then find out the person I checked with was wrong, even more frustrating when they swear it wasn't them. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Arrgh, that really sucks. I'm worried about this happening to my invites when I send them out in a couple months. I plan to take it in to the post office to be weighed and make sure of the postage, and then just send one out to my parents first to make sure it doesn't come back before sending them all out.

And I'd totally come help you, too. And bring wine.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Canada Post is just as much of a treat... I brought one of my STDs in to be weighed and etc to ensure I was putting proper postage on all 175 of them. I was berated by the friendly post lady who told me I was wasting her time (there was literally no one else there). 

When I did bring in the 175, people 1100kms away got theirs the next day, people in the Atlantic provinces like Newfoundland (about 6500kms) got theirs within a week, but people in my city or neighbouring towns within an hour didn't get theirs for a month, and the closest major city (just under 500km) took 2-3 weeks. ....What?

I honestly think postal services just do ridiculous things to keep us all guessing and instil fear. 

I'm still going to get my invitations pre-weighed, even if I get in trouble again. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards