Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Outdoor Entrance, Indoor Reception

Hello!  12 days until our big day!!

I have a question regarding announcing the bridal party.  We will be walking down a red carpet outside (complete with our names on a marquee) while our guests are lined up at the carpet, then we will go inside to the reception.  Is it OK for our DJ to announce us inside instead of outside?  I am not sure that there is a sound system outside for him to use.  I have not asked if he has a portable speaker and microphone. 

Re: Outdoor Entrance, Indoor Reception

• So he'll be announcing inside to no one? That doesn't make much sense. How far inside would he be?
  • I'm confused.  Is he announcing you all while you are walking down the carpet?  Or as soon as you hit the doors to the reception hall?  If it is the former, while I think it is weird to make your guests line up to watch you walk down a carpet then I guess that works.  If it is the latter, well you will be announced to an empty room, which really doesn't make sense.

• OP, if you want all your guests to stand around outside while you walk in and then go in to the reception where you walk in again (announced), I think this is odd and overkill. If you insist on this AW red carpet thing, then I'd just have you and your bridal party waiting inside the reception space when the guests come in.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • The reception is at a historic theatre and you "walk the red carpet" to the entrance of the venue and the guests will be lined up on the sides of the carpet (like paparazzi) when we arrive.  My question was do we have us announced at the time we arrive or wait until we go inside and everyone follows us?  It would be strange to have us announced twice, the guests will already see us arriving outside and I think having them wait for us again inside would be strange.  I'm just trying to figure out how this is going to work the best.  See below for a sample of the marquee and red carpet I am talking about.

Image result for temple theatre wedding saginaw

• The reception is at a historic theatre and you "walk the red carpet" to the entrance of the venue and the guests will be lined up on the sides of the carpet (like paparazzi) when we arrive.  My question was do we have us announced at the time we arrive or wait until we go inside and everyone follows us?  It would be strange to have us announced twice, the guests will already see us arriving outside and I think having them wait for us again inside would be strange.  I'm just trying to figure out how this is going to work the best.  See below for a sample of the marquee and red carpet I am talking about.

Image result for temple theatre wedding saginaw

So I am still confused.  Are your guests going to be inside the venue for cocktail hour and then they are going to be made to go back outside when you all arrive?

Honestly, I would skip making your guests line up on either side of the red carpet and just have yourselves announced when you enter the venue where your guests are already enjoying their cocktail hour.  Then just take some fun pictures with your wedding party and photographer on the red carpet.  Have your photog snap some funny paparazzi style photographs if you want.

• I vote that if you're going to do the paparazzi guest thing, you skip being announced. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think it's kind of weird to make all your guest line up outside while you walk the red carpet. But if you do that, I wouldn't have you announced the inside. It's overkill. 
  • AddieCake said:

I vote that if you're going to do the paparazzi guest thing, you skip being announced. 

I do also. Either or, but not both.
  • Gross. I don't want to line up as paparazzi for you. That's showing your guests terrible hospitality. Your focus should be on treating them well, not using them as props.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards