Registry and Gift Forum

Crate & barrel will ship your boxed gifts back home, will anywhere else?

marie2785marie2785 member
First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Answer
edited June 2015 in Registry and Gift Forum
Sharing because I found this out, and it's awesome. I'm guessing other stores do this too, anyone know of where?

Problem: I had my wedding shower this weekend, 500 miles away from where I live. I received some beautiful, thoughtful, and VERY fragile gifts. Most of which I did not feel safe putting on an airplane. Airline staff have broken wayyy to much of my stuff over the years, and I've had friends get stuff stolen out of their bags.

Solution: I called Crate and Barrel, who told me to bring the gifts in. They took the gifts, and "exchanged" them for the exact same items, which are being sent to my house directly from their warehouse. Shipping is free since I had over $99 worth of gifts. This saved me $50 in checked luggage fees since now I dont have to use a huge suitcase, and it also saved me from having to pay to ship the gifts home that wouldn't fit into the suitcase.

I'm really happy Crate and Barrel have this option, and offered it the minute I called and asked for their recommendation. My sister in law and cousins all commented how they wished theyd done this, since many of them broke gifts by shipping them themselves or putting them in their luggage.

Do other stores offer this too?

Re: Crate & barrel will ship your boxed gifts back home, will anywhere else?

• I got married a few years back.  I was a plane ride away from my shower too.  I took some of my stuff back to BB&B and they shipped them back to me too.  Basically they returned the item and then re-bought it so it could be shipped.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and several other stores that have a robust online registry program offer guests the option to buy the item online and have it shipped directly to your home, even gift wrapped if they prefer. Just make your guests aware that this is an option when sending [shower] invites. Saves a lot of hassle. 
  • Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and several other stores that have a robust online registry program offer guests the option to buy the item online and have it shipped directly to your home, even gift wrapped if they prefer. Just make your guests aware that this is an option when sending [shower] invites. Saves a lot of hassle. 
    I agree that would be easier on the recipient, but based on etiquette, people bring boxed gifts to showers. 

I won't lie, it was kinda awkward to sit there and open cards with pictures from people who sent me their gifts. I appreciated it and it made transport alot easier, but if it were 20 cards like that, it'd be really weird. 
  • marie2785 said:

Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and several other stores that have a robust online registry program offer guests the option to buy the item online and have it shipped directly to your home, even gift wrapped if they prefer. Just make your guests aware that this is an option when sending [shower] invites. Saves a lot of hassle. 

I agree that would be easier on the recipient, but based on etiquette, people bring boxed gifts to showers. 

I won't lie, it was kinda awkward to sit there and open cards with pictures from people who sent me their gifts. I appreciated it and it made transport alot easier, but if it were 20 cards like that, it'd be really weird. 

If guests opt to ship the gift to your home, that's on them. You should never suggest they do it...that would be rude. And awkward opeking a bunch of envelopes, as Marie said.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards