Chit Chat

Stitch Fix, etc?

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a repeat post but I haven't found anything recent on this subject. Has anyone tried Stitch Fix or a similar service?

For those who haven't heard of it, you pay a $20 styling fee to get a box of clothes shipped to you that are supposed to be tailored to your taste/price range. You choose and pay for what you want and send the rest back. If you buy one item, the $20 fee goes towards it. If you buy the whole box, you get a discount on the clothes.

I'm not a big shopper and I tend to gravitate towards the same types of clothing, and I'm in need of an updated wardrobe. What do you guys think? Is it worth possibly losing the $20 styling fee if you don't like anything in the box? Has anyone gotten any REALLY good clothes from a service like this?

Re: Stitch Fix, etc?

• I have gotten 2 "fixes" from Stitch Fix. One, I kept 2 blouses and returned everything else. I found a lot of it over priced ($78 for a knit maxi dress I could buy at Target, no thank you).

This month, I kept all 5 things. I was sort of ambivalent about the 5th item, but you get 25% off for buying the entire thing, so the 5th item was essentially free.

I also hate to shop, so I like the idea. PM me if you want a referral link :)
  • I've gotten two boxes from them. The first box I kept two items-I liked two of the other ones but they didn't fit quite right. 

The second box I returned everything, I hated them all. 
  • They don't have sizes past 14 (I think) so I couldn't try it, but my friend tried it and she loved all 5 pieces.  What they sent her was really cute too.  

She also choose to get all 5 pieces as clothes instead of any accessories.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I want to try it! I know some girls on another board have had great luck with it @swazzle @caseface5

• I've been dying to try it so if anyone has a referral link they could PM me, I would greatly appreciate it!
  • twoleighs said:
    They don't have sizes past 14 (I think) so I couldn't try it, but my friend tried it and she loved all 5 pieces.  What they sent her was really cute too.  

Haven't tried any of these yet, but my friend seems to love Stitch Fix. For sizes above 14, try Gwynnie Bee. Again, I don't know anything about the clothes but they have options up to size 32, I think.
  • Thanks guys! Looks like it's all mostly positive. I'm thinking it could definitely be hit or miss, but if I liked at least 1 piece in the box it would be worth it, as long as the cost of the piece is what I would normally pay.
  • abcdevonn said:
    twoleighs said:
    They don't have sizes past 14 (I think) so I couldn't try it, but my friend tried it and she loved all 5 pieces.  What they sent her was really cute too.  

Haven't tried any of these yet, but my friend seems to love Stitch Fix. For sizes above 14, try Gwynnie Bee. Again, I don't know anything about the clothes but they have options up to size 32, I think.
    Ooo I hadn't heard of Gwynnie Bee.  If you need me, I'll be drooling at cute clothes. :)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I've always wondered about the price of the items in these type of boxes, I'm normally a sale/coupon friendly shopper so I figured it would probably always be over what I would want to pay
  • Swazzle said:
    Hi there! My 10th Stitch Fix will be arriving tomorrow and as @jenna8984 said, I absolutely love it! I've only had one Fix that wasn't good and I even managed to keep one thing from that just to avoid losing the $20 styling fee. I've found that when you send things back, being as detailed as possible really helps. It's even helpful to explain why you're keeping something so they know more about what you like about it for future shipments. I love the convenience and that it gives me a chance to try things I sometimes wouldn't have looked at twice on the hanger. 

If anyone is interested in a referral, I'd be happy to send, just PM me :)

ETA: I also like that you can leave a note for your stylist before your next Fix ships. My birthday is coming up so I mentioned that I'd like a cute but casual dress to wear to a low-key dinner with wedges and through some stalking, I see that they're sending me this dress which is going to be absolutely perfect: 

I got that dress last time. I sent it back because it was enormous-easily two, if not three sizes too big. The pattern was cute, so I hope it works for you! I wish there was a way to exchange sizes. 
  • kvruns said:
    I've always wondered about the price of the items in these type of boxes, I'm normally a sale/coupon friendly shopper so I figured it would probably always be over what I would want to pay
    Yeah, the first fix I got was sort of laughable. A $38 plastic necklace and a $78 knit dress. It was kind of ridiculous. I do find the items to be slightly more than I usually pay, but I also shop the Old Navy sales and Target, so my price point is typically pretty low.

I felt like I was in a style rut and this has been nice to get new things I wouldn't ordinarily buy, but it is absolutely more expensive.
  • I've never heard of the service.  Not sure I would like it either.    I shop for things I need.    Having a box show up once a month would cause me to spend money unnecessarily.  Sure you can send them back, but I foresee me buying things I really don't need anyway.

::shrugs::  Maybe i'm just cheap.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I've never heard of the service.  Not sure I would like it either.    I shop for things I need.    Having a box show up once a month would cause me to spend money unnecessarily.  Sure you can send them back, but I foresee me buying things I really don't need anyway.

LOL. This is the exact reason I want to try it! I go out shopping maybe twice a year. My husband is always saying that I never buy anything for myself. So I feel like I'd get a fun little push to buy something if it just magically appeared before me :)

• @Swazzle referred me and my first one is on the way! I did a little stalking too and this dress will be in it. 

As long as it fits, I'll be pumped. I also don't want to spend a crazy amount, so I did the option that I can choose when they ship, so I am not automatically signed up to get one each month. I also chose on there to send me the cheapest things they have. We shall see!
    friends tv show funy
  • jenna8984 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    I've never heard of the service.  Not sure I would like it either.    I shop for things I need.    Having a box show up once a month would cause me to spend money unnecessarily.  Sure you can send them back, but I foresee me buying things I really don't need anyway.

LOL. This is the exact reason I want to try it! I go out shopping maybe twice a year. My husband is always saying that I never buy anything for myself. So I feel like I'd get a fun little push to buy something if it just magically appeared before me :)
    I totally agree.. I don't want to spend unnecessary $$$. But if I need clothes anyway and you can be specific in what you're looking for (i.e. nice pair of work pants, cute cropped jeans, etc.), then having it show up at my door would work out better for me than having to go hunting for it. 

But I'm also with @kvruns with the whole price issue... I don't want to spend more on a maxi dress (like @sarahufl would have had to) than I would if I went to places I normally shop at. I want comparable prices, especially since I usually shop for sales.
  • kikilamp said:
    jenna8984 said:
    lyndausvi said:

I totally agree.. I don't want to spend unnecessary $$$. But if I need clothes anyway and you can be specific in what you're looking for (i.e. nice pair of work pants, cute cropped jeans, etc.), then having it show up at my door would work out better for me than having to go hunting for it. 

But I'm also with @kvruns with the whole price issue... I don't want to spend more on a maxi dress (like @sarahufl would have had to) than I would if I went to places I normally shop at. I want comparable prices, especially since I usually shop for sales.
    the fix I just got had 2 dresses (1 cocktail, 1 more casual, but not like a beach cover up), a silky blouse, a cute knit top with an embroidered design on it and a cute clutch. I paid right at $200 for all 5 items. So yeah, slightly more than my average Old Navy haul, but not terrible.
  • @daria24 - Oh no! That'll be disappointing. I've had great luck with sizing so far in all but 1 of my Fixes so hopefully that holds true with this one. Thanks for the heads up!

• Yeah that was really the only item that I've felt was wildly wrong in the size department. I could have carried cantaloupes in the top. 
  • daria24 said:
    Yeah that was really the only item that I've felt was wildly wrong in the size department. I could have carried cantaloupes in the top. 
    Ohhhh that may be why they sent it to me. I have giant boobs! 

• daria24 said:
    Swazzle said:
    Hi there! My 10th Stitch Fix will be arriving tomorrow and as @jenna8984 said, I absolutely love it! I've only had one Fix that wasn't good and I even managed to keep one thing from that just to avoid losing the $20 styling fee. I've found that when you send things back, being as detailed as possible really helps. It's even helpful to explain why you're keeping something so they know more about what you like about it for future shipments. I love the convenience and that it gives me a chance to try things I sometimes wouldn't have looked at twice on the hanger. 

ETA: I also like that you can leave a note for your stylist before your next Fix ships. My birthday is coming up so I mentioned that I'd like a cute but casual dress to wear to a low-key dinner with wedges and through some stalking, I see that they're sending me this dress which is going to be absolutely perfect: 

I got that dress last time. I sent it back because it was enormous-easily two, if not three sizes too big. The pattern was cute, so I hope it works for you! I wish there was a way to exchange sizes. 
    You can exchange! If you get something you love that's the wrong size, email customer service to let them know you want it in a different size.  If they have it, they'll have you "check out" and indicate that you are keeping that item, but go ahead and return it with the rest of the stuff you don't keep.  Once they receive it, they'll send you the new size.  The caveat is that if you exchange something for a different size, you can't return it.  You can also return an item and leave a note for your stylist that you'd like the same item in a different size in your next fix.

I received several boxes, and found there was at least one item I loved in every box, including the best fitting pair of skinny jeans I think I've ever owned (which is how I know you can exchange for a different size - the first pair was a tad small, so I had to exchange). I've put it on hold temporarily due to budget stuff, but I'll start them back up again in the future. I do agree you can probably find better deals in a retail store or even online, BUT it would require a lot of shopping around. I think the slightly higher price point is worth it just to be able to try stuff on at home at your leisure, and not spend a day running around from store to mall to wherever else.
    Im your huckleberry gif Val Kilmer Tombstone Imgur
  • relliotts said:
    daria24 said:
    Swazzle said:

You can exchange! If you get something you love that's the wrong size, email customer service to let them know you want it in a different size.  If they have it, they'll have you "check out" and indicate that you are keeping that item, but go ahead and return it with the rest of the stuff you don't keep.  Once they receive it, they'll send you the new size.  The caveat is that if you exchange something for a different size, you can't return it.  You can also return an item and leave a note for your stylist that you'd like the same item in a different size in your next fix.

I received several boxes, and found there was at least one item I loved in every box, including the best fitting pair of skinny jeans I think I've ever owned (which is how I know you can exchange for a different size - the first pair was a tad small, so I had to exchange). I've put it on hold temporarily due to budget stuff, but I'll start them back up again in the future. I do agree you can probably find better deals in a retail store or even online, BUT it would require a lot of shopping around. I think the slightly higher price point is worth it just to be able to try stuff on at home at your leisure, and not spend a day running around from store to mall to wherever else.
    That is SO good to know! There have been a couple times where I loved something but it just didn't quite fit so I sent it back (I actually had a whole Fix that seemed to be for someone smaller than me, I was not pleased). 

My Fix arrived yesterday and I'm happy to report that the above dress fits my large chest perfectly! I actually really like all 5 items (that dress, a maxi dress, a tank top, a 'kimono' and a clutch with a strap so it can be cross body too) but can't decide if it's in the budget to keep it all this month. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards