Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Paris

DH and I are pretty much set on a long weekend in Paris.  We'll have 3 full days, plus we'll be there early in the AM the day of arrival and we'll want to keep busy to help with the jet lag.

Looking for hotel recommendations (currently looking at the Pullman by the Eiffel tower unless swayed otherwise - location (to restaurants, transportation) is important, though near the Eiffel tower is not a requirement) and any recommendations/tips for sites to see (I think we'll be booking the Eiffel Tower/Louvre through a skip the line tour and would like to try and see Versailles, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame and Montmartre steps/Sacre Couer.  This has kinda been a spur of the moment thing and while we do lots of traveling,neither of us has been to Paris before.

Budget isn't firm, but we'd like to keep the hotel to around $300 or less/night.

Re: Paris

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    We stayed here the last time.   

We liked it there.  Not sure the rates right now.     It was easy access to everywhere we wanted to go.

The elevator is REALLY small.   We took the stairs even though it was a few flights up instead.

ETA - I love the Latin District, even though we didn't pick a hotel there.  It has a lot of great restaurants, night life and just overall a great location.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I loved the Hyatt Regency Paris Etoile- in the 17th arrondissment.  It's a large hotel in a nice area, and it's above an underground "mall" with shops and cafes- and you can walk through the mall directly into a metro stop, to go anywhere else in the city.

I highly recommend Montmartre and Sacre Couer- make sure to visit the streets beneath the church for little bakeries and tourist shops, etc.

Also- weather permitting- when you visit the Louvre, make sure to walk out through the outdoor gardens- if you walk the length of the gardens, it basically spits you out at one end of the Champs-Elysees.  Walk up the Champs-Elysees, and just enjoy... stop at a cafe and have lunch/coffee... shop the stores (hello, Louis Vuitton and Dior and Chanel!)... as you make your way up you'll get right to the Arc D'Triomphe.

It's SUCH a beautiful city- I am literally so jealous of you right now.  I am dying to go back.  Have a great time!  :)
  • Options
    My parents, sister, and I did that same trip back in 2009 and it was great.  We made it to all the points you mentioned. But please try and go to the Rodin Museum (The Thinker) they have beautiful grounds that you can walk around.  And D'Orsay Museum is just beautiful also but you really only need to go to the 5th Floor is where all the impression work is.

Montmartre and Sacre Couer I second need a visit.  Great place to walk around have a drink and see a very old part of town.

We stayed at a Ramada near the metro and some restaurants...and about a 5 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower.  My cousin just came back from her honeymoon from France adn they stayed in the Latin Quarters which they said was perfect.  I will try to see if I can find our itinerary due to the fact I sent it to a friend last year.

• Options

My hotel suggestion is Hotel Mercure Paris Centre Tour Eiffel. It is near the Eiffel tower and 2 metro stops. It is a chain though (not sure what you're looking for).

Versailles is an all day adventure. Definitely leave early in the morning, and hopefully you will get back to Paris by late afternoon.

My favorite restaurant suggestion is Chez Gladines. It is quintessential French, tables smushed right next to each other, and Basque style food. The serve escargot in a giant pot with flavorful broth. So amazing. It is a neighborhood place that gets very busy, but you can grab a drink and wait outside.

• Options
    We're going to Paris in September for our honeymoon.

We booked an after hours Louvre Tour and Wine Tasting, and a Dinner Cruise. We plan on the Musee D'orsay as FI is a huge Van Gogh fan (as well as we are both Doctor Who fans and its featured in an episode). 

We have a full day planned for Versailles.

I'm definitely going to write down some of these food sugggestions!
  • Options
    I would suggest the Paris Opera house, but I loved Phantom and wanted to see the original building the story was based on.  But right down the street is the Galleries Lafayette, which is a huge shopping centre if you're looking for places to spend money.  And use the metro.  Very efficient for travel and some of the stations are pretty too.  Also, I believe there are 3 replicas of the statue of liberty around the city (I've seen 2) that you could go searching for.  I love Paris.  I love the feel of that city

• Options
    Great info!  I'm noting everything down and looking up each of the hotels recommended!   
  • Options
    TNDancer said:

My hotel suggestion is Hotel Mercure Paris Centre Tour Eiffel. It is near the Eiffel tower and 2 metro stops. It is a chain though (not sure what you're looking for).

Versailles is an all day adventure. Definitely leave early in the morning, and hopefully you will get back to Paris by late afternoon.

My favorite restaurant suggestion is Chez Gladines. It is quintessential French, tables smushed right next to each other, and Basque style food. The serve escargot in a giant pot with flavorful broth. So amazing. It is a neighborhood place that gets very busy, but you can grab a drink and wait outside.

I'm planning a few days of our HM in Paris, and just the other day my baby bro (who used to live in France) told me that Chez Gladines was he absolute fav. I just told an old HS friend who is there this week to go check it out. She said to definitely get the museum pass to skip the wait. She said the Louvre was 10-15 minutes vs the people in the line to buy tickets who waited nearly 2 hours.

As far as hotel, I think we are going with an airbnb in the Montmartre/Sacre Cour area, since most of my Cheffy friends say there are a ton of great "where the locals eat" places there. Also I like the idea of staying outside of the main city center.
  • Options
    TNDancer said:

I'm planning a few days of our HM in Paris, and just the other day my baby bro (who used to live in France) told me that Chez Gladines was he absolute fav. I just told an old HS friend who is there this week to go check it out. She said to definitely get the museum pass to skip the wait. She said the Louvre was 10-15 minutes vs the people in the line to buy tickets who waited nearly 2 hours.

As far as hotel, I think we are going with an airbnb in the Montmartre/Sacre Cour area, since most of my Cheffy friends say there are a ton of great "where the locals eat" places there. Also I like the idea of staying outside of the main city center.
    Yes, I was just reading today about the museum pass!  We were planning on buying skip the line tickets for the Louvre, but we may do this instead.

• Options

We actually just stayed at that Pullman (by the Eiffel Tower) in May.  It was a nice hotel, with really big and comfortable rooms by European standards.  There are a few cafes nearby, but none of them were extraordinary by any means.  It does offer decent access to transportation, and there are also several grocery stores just down the block.  (Unbelievably cheap wine!!)  However, in looking back, I'd love to have stayed closer to the Champs-Elysees.  But, overall considering the sprawl of Paris, it was a decent location.  Funny thing though, which I think is fairly true in many parts of Paris, was that a large majority of those staying there were American.  In fact, one night we had drinks at the bar, and of three other couples there, one literally lives in our city, less than a mile away, and another has a son and daughter-in-law that lives here too.  Hands down, it's definitely the most touristy city I've ever visited.

• Options
    als1982 said:

We actually just stayed at that Pullman (by the Eiffel Tower) in May.  It was a nice hotel, with really big and comfortable rooms by European standards.  There are a few cafes nearby, but none of them were extraordinary by any means.  It does offer decent access to transportation, and there are also several grocery stores just down the block.  (Unbelievably cheap wine!!)  However, in looking back, I'd love to have stayed closer to the Champs-Elysees.  But, overall considering the sprawl of Paris, it was a decent location.  Funny thing though, which I think is fairly true in many parts of Paris, was that a large majority of those staying there were American.  In fact, one night we had drinks at the bar, and of three other couples there, one literally lives in our city, less than a mile away, and another has a son and daughter-in-law that lives here too.  Hands down, it's definitely the most touristy city I've ever visited.

Appreciate your input!  We actually chose not to stay at the Pullman - after some last minute research yesterday, I was afraid it was a bit too far out.  We decided we're staying in Saint Germain near Notre Dame.  It's near the Latin District, so expecting it to be a bit more lively.  Transportation seems close by too.  I can't wait!
  • Options
    Best place to buy museum pass (if you dont do it ahead of time) is the Cluney Museum.  There is never any line to buy them and you get to see the famous tapestries (Lady and the Unicorn).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards