Wedding Etiquette Forum

Flowers for MOB's & FOB's SOs?

I'm in the process of making a list for my florist of what kind of flowers we'll need for the wedding. My parents are divorced, and are both currently in relationships. I'm planning on getting a corsage for my mom and a boutonniere for my dad,  but am I supposed to get flowers for their respective SOs? Is there a rule about this, or is it one of those, "It'd be nice, but not a big deal on way or the other," kind of things? TIA!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Flowers for MOB's & FOB's SOs?

• There are no set rules.  IMO, if your parents were remarried then I would definitely get their SOs flowers.  But if they are just dating then I would probably forgo it.

But really this is a do what you want type of thing.

• I agree. Married, definitely. If not, only do it if you want to and it's in the budget.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm in the process of making a list for my florist of what kind of flowers we'll need for the wedding. My parents are divorced, and are both currently in relationships. I'm planning on getting a corsage for my mom and a boutonniere for my dad,  but am I supposed to get flowers for their respective SOs? Is there a rule about this, or is it one of those, "It'd be nice, but not a big deal on way or the other," kind of things? TIA!
    I think it'd be nice.  You'll probably have an extra bout and corsage anyway (I think they usually make extras in case you forget someone or someone drops theirs.)  Unnecessary, but super nice.
  • adk19 said:
    I'm in the process of making a list for my florist of what kind of flowers we'll need for the wedding. My parents are divorced, and are both currently in relationships. I'm planning on getting a corsage for my mom and a boutonniere for my dad,  but am I supposed to get flowers for their respective SOs? Is there a rule about this, or is it one of those, "It'd be nice, but not a big deal on way or the other," kind of things? TIA!
    I think it'd be nice.  You'll probably have an extra bout and corsage anyway (I think they usually make extras in case you forget someone or someone drops theirs.)  Unnecessary, but super nice.
    The 8 years that I worked as a florist we never once made extras unless asked.  Corsages and bouts take time and product.  We aren't just going to make extras for free just because.

Maybe not all florists are liked that, but I haven't run into one that just gave extras for a just in case.

• Our florist didn't give us any extras.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Neither of them are remarried, but have been dating the same people for quite a while. I would love for my mom's BF to have a boutonniere. He's a great guy. I feel a little differently about my dad's GF, but that's really none of my business. Of course I would never get flowers for one and not the other, though. I'll add them to my list! Thank you!

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • adk19 said:
    The 8 years that I worked as a florist we never once made extras unless asked.  Corsages and bouts take time and product.  We aren't just going to make extras for free just because.

Maybe not all florists are liked that, but I haven't run into one that just gave extras for a just in case.
    Interesting.  Maybe all the weddings I've seen the flowers for, they ordered extras for themselves.  I've pinned many a boutanniere in my day.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I also never received extras.

I did not do this (maybe I should've have... I also didn't get any for my grandparents either, which in hindsight I should have... just didn't think of it...). My dad's GF was living with him at the time, and mom and her SO are long term but still living separate.

No rule on it, but would be a nice gesture.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards