Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

If having a 4 course meal...

Are you supposed to provide all 4 courses (salad, sorbet intermezzo, entree, plated desert) to venders or just an entree?

I'm totally happy to do either, just wasn't sure which is customary. Thanks!

Re: If having a 4 course meal...

• Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    i'd ask the venue.  Often they have a vendor meal which is a different price.  It likely wouldn't be all 4 courses.
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    We did vendor meals. Our vendors didnt really have time to sit through all 4 courses
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Got it. Good to know.

I will ask the caterer!
  • Options
    Are you supposed to provide all 4 courses (salad, sorbet intermezzo, entree, plated desert) to venders or just an entree?

You also might want to check your vendor's contracts.  Some might specify that they get a Hot meal, so the vendor meal of sandwich, apple, and chips might not cut it.  Also, I'm going to feel like shit if I get a sandwich when everyone else is eating some delicious steak dish.  So, as a vendor I don't feel like I'd need all four courses, but the option of the "real" entree would be perfect.  (and maybe a slice of cake later)
  • Options
    Oh no, I would never stick someone with a sandwhich while everyone else gets filet or sea bass! I will definitely provide them with their entree choice from our menu, I just wan't sure about the other courses. And of course a slice of cake haha.
  • Options
    adk19 said:

You also might want to check your vendor's contracts.  Some might specify that they get a Hot meal, so the vendor meal of sandwich, apple, and chips might not cut it.  Also, I'm going to feel like shit if I get a sandwich when everyone else is eating some delicious steak dish.  So, as a vendor I don't feel like I'd need all four courses, but the option of the "real" entree would be perfect.  (and maybe a slice of cake later)
    What would you do if their contract specified that they get hot meals when you're not planning to serve hot meals to yourselves or your guests (e.g. because it's the wrong time of day, you're doing sandwiches and light appetizers, etc.)?  Me, I'd let them know that nobody is getting hot meals, and that if they want me to book them, they'll have to take that requirement out of the contract and accept the same meals that everyone else is getting served.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I can't speak for @adk19, but I interpreted her comment to mean that your vendors should get an entree that is comparable to what you are serving your guests.

Thus, if you are serving sandwiches and light apps to your guests, you should serve that (or something comparable) to your vendors.

If the contract specifies hot meal, I think you are right to inform them of what is being served and that you are happy to serve them the same.
  • Options
    I can't speak for @adk19, but I interpreted her comment to mean that your vendors should get an entree that is comparable to what you are serving your guests.

Thus, if you are serving sandwiches and light apps to your guests, you should serve that (or something comparable) to your vendors.

That's what I would do.  But if vendor contracts actually specify a hot meal, and I am not planning on serving hot meals at all, that's a contract point that will have to be renegotiated or I will find alternate vendors.
  • Options

If the contract specifies hot meal, I think you are right to inform them of what is being served and that you are happy to serve them the same.
    Yes, that is what I meant.  I think some photographers (specifically) have gotten the shaft too many times and put in their contract that they get the comparable meal rather than the soggy sandwich and stale chips.  I mean, if what you're serving your guests is sub sandwiches and chips, then they'd have to be fine with that since there is no other option.  But I also think that if you go that direction, you should read over your vendor contracts and be sure the photographer is aware of what type of wedding you're having.
  • Options
    adk19 said:

Yes, that is what I meant.  I think some photographers (specifically) have gotten the shaft too many times and put in their contract that they get the comparable meal rather than the soggy sandwich and stale chips.  I mean, if what you're serving your guests is sub sandwiches and chips, then they'd have to be fine with that since there is no other option.  But I also think that if you go that direction, you should read over your vendor contracts and be sure the photographer is aware of what type of wedding you're having.
    Yeah, that isn't a nice thing to do when you are serving bigger meals to your guests and yourselves.  But it doesn't seem reasonable to me for vendors to automatically assume that you're serving a certain type of meal and demand accordingly, especially if you're not serving that type of meal.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    adk19 said:

Yeah, that isn't a nice thing to do when you are serving bigger meals to your guests and yourselves.  But it doesn't seem reasonable to me for vendors to automatically assume that you're serving a certain type of meal and demand accordingly, especially if you're not serving that type of meal.
    Agreed.  But if the words "hot meal" are in their standard contract because the great majority of their weddings serve hot food, they may not realize they forgot to take out those words when they agreed to photograph your cake and punch reception in the church basement.
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    adk19 said:

Agreed.  But if the words "hot meal" are in their standard contract because the great majority of their weddings serve hot food, they may not realize they forgot to take out those words when they agreed to photograph your cake and punch reception in the church basement.

But then that's also why contract negotiation exists and people are supposed to read the contract before they sign it.  I don't fault the photographers for using boilerplate language like that to cover themselves - most weddings it seems do have some sort of hot option and they are often stuck working 8+ hours on their feet with minimal breaks and get the shaft by too many people throwing a stale sandwich and bruised apple at them (and sometimes they don't get fed at all).  But if you aren't planning on serving a hot meal and you didn't bother to read the contract in its entirety and renegotiate that point, then that's your bad and not a matter of the photographer being unreasonable.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    jacques27 said:

adk19 said:

Jen4948 said:

adk19 said:

But then that's also why contract negotiation exists and people are supposed to read the contract before they sign it.  I don't fault the photographers for using boilerplate language like that to cover themselves - most weddings it seems do have some sort of hot option and they are often stuck working 8+ hours on their feet with minimal breaks and get the shaft by too many people throwing a stale sandwich and bruised apple at them (and sometimes they don't get fed at all).  But if you aren't planning on serving a hot meal and you didn't bother to read the contract in its entirety and renegotiate that point, then that's your bad and not a matter of the photographer being unreasonable.

Oh, I agree that it's definitely on you if you don't read the contract before you sign it.

I guess it annoys me a little that vendors might specify "hot" meals in their boilerplate contracts as though everyone who might hire them for a wedding is planning to serve full meals, let alone hot ones. If the language merely specified that they have to get whatever everyone else is getting, regardless of what that is, it would be reasonable to me.
  • Options
    my contract said i had to check if i was feeding the photographer i made sure he got a nice hot meal plus he ended up getting all the courses as well as the dj 

the only thing i was miffed about was dj brought an assistant and didn't tell me there was no paid meal for him but venue fed him and they didn't ask us to pay at the end i think its also because we had a no show for one guest 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We served our vendor the exact same meal (all courses) as our guests.

Our 2 photographers were seated at guest tables, ate their courses and then got up in between to take some pictures (not that there were honestly that many pictures to take while everyone was eating). Our DJ stayed at his table and got all his courses there so he could keep the music going.

At our venue we were given one price for for everything, which included the bar. Vendor meals were that price minus the cost of the bar.

I'd feel pretty terrible giving a vendor a sandwhich, apple and chips while everyone else is eating a 4 course meal- I didn't know that was something that happened!
  • Options
    SP29 said:

Our 2 photographers were seated at guest tables, ate their courses and then got up in between to take some pictures (not that there were honestly that many pictures to take while everyone was eating). Our DJ stayed at his table and got all his courses there so he could keep the music going.

At our venue we were given one price for for everything, which included the bar. Vendor meals were that price minus the cost of the bar.

I'd feel pretty terrible giving a vendor a sandwhich, apple and chips while everyone else is eating a 4 course meal- I didn't know that was something that happened!
    Yes, it is something that happens.  And photographers will share stories with each other.  I think TK once had a link to another website where photographers "reviewed" and photographed vendor meals at various locations.  It was an outstanding read.
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    SP29 said:

Yes, it is something that happens.  And photographers will share stories with each other.  I think TK once had a link to another website where photographers "reviewed" and photographed vendor meals at various locations.  It was an outstanding read.
    Oh, I remember that!  It was illuminating.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards